GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin GG News

+33
patsymc
Podger
bluearmy1
bald eagle
Parouisa
KerryKatriona
redhandman
hipster 2
Thomas Clarke
scoopmine
The Puke
jimbodub
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
Royal_Girl2k9
Grenvile
black&white
whiterbananas
Floops
Omagh RedHand
Loyal2TheRoyal
mid-mon man
mossbags
OMAR
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
AdamG
RMDrive
Shinners
Jayo Cluxton
mugsys_barber
mullins
37 posters

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 24 Empty Re: Dublin GG News

Post  Parouisa Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:16 am

One thing I would like to say about the team of 2011 is how proud I am of them. Obviously on the playing field that goes without saying but in every other facet they were magnificent. Unlike under other regimes there was no BS or bluster. Just an honest, hard grafting bunch of lads who let their football and results do the talking. In victory they were also superb. To a man the interviews following the Final, both immediately after and in the next days, were courteous, humble and respectful. A lot of credit goes to Pat but even more to the lads themselves. If they are not careful people outside Dublin may begin to like them! affraid

Thanks for an unbelievable year.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:26 am

With the draws for 2012 made last night, attention now turns to next year. The 2011 c'ship is now done and dusted, time to move on.

RMD, when you get a chance, you may lock this thread.

Thanking you in advance of your earliest co-operation.

Is mise le meas,

Boxty.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Dublin GG News - Page 24 Empty Gilroy

Post  Sam/Bob Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Gilroy will have a go at back /back All-Ireland's............ Very Happy

Sam/Bob

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Dreadful waste of valuable Internet space here from some voyeur......It couldn't be.. pale Say it ain't ******
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 am

tonight should be interesting the work goes on
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm

gaelicstats Dublin were the only team this year to never put a hand pass astray in a game. 100% success in All Ireland Final - Taken from Twitter feed. That is some going.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:19 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:gaelicstats Dublin were the only team this year to never put a hand pass astray in a game. 100% success in All Ireland Final - Taken from Twitter feed. That is some going.

i couldn't believe that when i saw it this morning, that's a hell of a stat alright!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:19 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:gaelicstats Dublin were the only team this year to never put a hand pass astray in a game. 100% success in All Ireland Final - Taken from Twitter feed. That is some going.

I think Connolly was the only one to put a handpass astray in the semi-final. Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 am

Following on from Boxtys link -

From Irish Times via Global GAA Twitter feed.

Dublin to look for "provincial status" via new strategic plan

GAELIC GAMES: THE DUBLIN County Board are to seek “provincial status” for both funding and administration purposes as part of their new six-year strategic plan, the full details of which were announced in Croke Park last night.

In a broad and somewhat bold plan – entitled Unleashing “The Blue Wave”: A Strategy for Dublin GAA 2011-2017 – the central theme is Dublin’s ever-changing demographics, which is actually described as a “time bomb”, and thus presents several unique challenges to the county board.

According to Dublin’s Strategic Committee, who produced the document, “the financial resources that are currently available to the Dublin County Committee are inadequate to enable Dublin GAA to give effect to the initiatives identified as appropriate in the strategic review”.

The plan, which runs to 86 pages, also claims that there should be a mutual recognition of the interdependent relationship between Dublin’s ambitions for the GAA in the capital city and the overall wellbeing of the Association.

“It will require Dublin County Board to step up to its responsibility to implement the strategic initiatives recommended in this review. It will also require Central Council to embrace a different funding model, one which addresses the strategic significance of Dublin. One way of addressing this issue is for the GAA to extend provincial status to Dublin for certain purposes.”

Among those attending last night’s launch was GAA president Christy Cooney and the director general Páraic Duffy, who gave their broad support for the aims of the plan.

Dublin County Board chairman Andy Kettle also outlined in more basic terms the exact priorities of the next six years.

“From a financial point of view we do need to be pushing for provincial status,” said Kettle.

“Right now we have about 20 per cent of the country’s population in the Dublin County Board area. So it doesn’t make sense that we should still be considered one -32th of the country, rather than one-fifth.

“I think it’s a realistic plan, but also something I know will need goodwill, and the backing of Croke Park to get it through, because something like this will need to go to Congress. So it’s up to us to campaign for it in the right way, and explain it to the other delegates.

“But coupled with that we would see that Dublin should have constant representation on Coisti Banaistí (Management Committee), and also on Leinster Council. That’s not happening at the moment, but we would feel Dublin should have that representation by right, rather than by election.

“There’s been a lot of work and thought gone into this over the last two years. But we have the plan down on paper now, and the implementing of it is now our priority. It’s going to stretch us to the limit, both at county level, and at the implementation committee level.”

It remains to be seen what level of support Dublin will get from the other provincial counties, but in the meantime there appears to be a clear awareness of the issues among the top brass of the Association.

“The facts and figures speak for themselves,” said the GAA president, “and if we are not well organised, ambitious and competitive in our main urban bases, and in Dublin in particular, there is a gaping hole in our Association.

“As a city and county Dublin has always held a special place in the Association that extends far beyond the numbers game that goes hand in hand with capital city demographics.

“The playing and administrative centre of the Association is located here and we all have happy memories of Croke Park and Dublin, no matter where it is we call home. The superb network of clubs in Dublin has provided a sporting infrastructure to behold that otherwise would not exist.”

Duffy was a little more hesitant in singling Dublin out for special attention, but agreed there were unique challenges and opportunities within the Dublin area.

“Croke Park does not accord a favoured status to any unit,” said Duffy, “but it would be denying demographic facts not to recognise that Dublin is a region of vital importance to the GAA.

“According to preliminary figures from Census 2011, almost 1.3 million people live in Dublin city and county, which represents 20 per cent of the entire population of Ireland. It is a simple statistical fact that Dublin constitutes, in terms of population catchment area, the single largest county unit in the Association, and is, therefore, a region in which the health of the GAA has a profound impact on the wider health of the Association.”

The strategic plan also claims that Dublin has no material surplus assets which could be monetised for reinvestment, although consideration could be given to the possible sale of O’Toole Park.

It reads: “With the exception of a trial venture with Croke Park for the 2011 Dublin Spring Series. Dublin, like all counties, has not traditionally benefited in any meaningful respect in gate receipts from senior inter-county games despite attracting large attendances.

“This clearly fails to align responsibility for promoting the games with the resultant increased income streams.”

The Dublin county committee has traditionally operated a balanced budget with all revenues (which have been running at €5.2 million per year) being fully reinvested in current organisational and development initiatives. However, Dublin’s main source of revenue is from its principle commercial sponsor, Vodafone.

In conclusion the strategic plan claims that Central Council will achieve a strong return on its investment in Dublin GAA.

“In planning for the longer term the investment from Central Council will help Dublin achieve an increased market share over and above the increase in the population.

“This increase in market share and the greater interest in Gaelic games will in turn continue to generate much-needed income for other units of the Association from increased attendances at games.”

Nine key strategic objectives & themes

(as outlined in the Dublin Strategic Plan)

1) Develop local area regional plans and appropriate club structures for the 10 regional areas.

2) Maximise participation in Gaelic games in Dublin.

3) Supporting the club.

4) Resourcing the volunteer.

5) Creating the bridge from participation to inter-county success.

6) Ensuring the provision of appropriate facilities.

7) Investing in the commercial potential of the Dublin GAA brand.

8 ) Procuring the financial resources necessary to develop Dublin GAA.

9) Providing a first-class management and governance structure for Dublin GAA.

I really want to read this plan before i put my 2 pence worth in, any ideas where there is a link for it at? I've tried Hill16 website and it's not there yet.

Any of our (several?) Dublin posters like to share a view on this?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 pm

I think its sensible and laudable to have a long-term strategic plan but will have to find time to read 86 pages. On the basis of the reportage so far I would have some observations.

Dublin GAA has recognised the challenge from Leinster Rugby. They will also have to compete with a potential fresh challenge (for the first time in a decade) from soccer following the qualification of the national team for Euro 2012. Just as well the Dubs won Sam!

On the building of a new ground I think Parnell is too small and see the possible need for such a development. I think the targetting of a stadium on the outskirts (Bertie Bowl anyone) is questionable. While accepting that land prices are cheaper away from the city, if it is to happen it must be sited in a location that is very accessible to car, bus and other transport links. I feel this stadium may also have the potential to service Leinster games too eg Meath and Kildare games and that will be factored into 'site shopping'.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

86 pages, you say? 86 pages to demand funding in proportion to the population, administrative representation ('by right, not election') because of the population, and a new stadium (to go alongside the 82,000 capacity Croke Park) because of the population.

Yet they insist that 'Our flagship teams - our senior footballers and hurlers - must never be divided'. Such hypocrisy.

Still, at least they threw a few jokes in about winning a senior all-ireland every 3 years in football and every 5 in hurling! Laughing
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:86 pages, you say? 86 pages to demand funding in proportion to the population, administrative representation ('by right, not election') because of the population, and a new stadium (to go alongside the 82,000 capacity Croke Park) because of the population.

Yet they insist that 'Our flagship teams - our senior footballers and hurlers - must never be divided'. Such hypocrisy.

Still, at least they threw a few jokes in about winning a senior all-ireland every 3 years in football and every 5 in hurling! Laughing

I don't see any hypocricy there at all. Nor do I see any 'demand' anywhere but I will stand corrected. What I do see is the opinion that "It will also require Central Council to embrace a different funding model, one which addresses the strategic significance of Dublin. One way of addressing this issue is for the GAA to extend provincial status to Dublin for certain purposes.” Hardly a demand - more a sensible suggestion.

There is also talk of leveraging the Dublin brand and if this is done properly I guarantee you Dublin will need no extra funds from anyone. It is also a fact that one third of the children in this country are born in Dublin - this surely represents a huge challenge to the Dublin County Board especiallly - and the GAA in general. Even a Tyrone man must see that? And as people never tire of telling Dublin people, the 82,000 stadium is not ours. As for the jokes at least its good to see a huge effort going in to hurling - if only other counties would copy.

And finally do you honestly think that a South and North Dublin team would be acceptable to Dublin people? To any GAA people? The GAA is rooted in the county model - that is not up for any discussion.

Hypocricy is right.

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:42 pm

Parouisa wrote:
"It will also require Central Council to embrace a different funding model, one which addresses the strategic significance of Dublin. One way of addressing this issue is for the GAA to extend provincial status to Dublin for certain purposes.” Hardly a demand - more a sensible suggestion.

Provincial status when they want a stadium, and money, and voting power on the Leinster Council. But not when it comes to competing against other counties, because at that point Dublin would prefer be 1 of 32 again. Very much a case of wanting to have their cake and eat it.

What many Dublin people don't seem to realise is that the GAA would survive very well without them. Yes, they are a good addition to the championship and bring lots of colour and noise, but having Dublin in the semi-finals every year is not essential for the well-being of the game. Hurling coped without them for decades, while even in football they have hardly been to the fore in the last 35 years. The GAA does not need the 'Dublin brand', whatever that may be, and certainly does not need to pump money into it to the considerable detriment of 31 other counties. Strong Dublin sides are a nice to have, but not a necessity.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm

On skim reading what has been published to date, i do admit that there is some clout in the Dublin argument for extra funding due to the population in the city and county. As is very often pointed out on these forums, don't look at the population as a whole, look at the population that would be within the remit of playing Gaelic Games.

You have to admit that it is true that Dublin generate more revenue for the GAA coffers than other counties so there maybe is something there. You say that at least Dublin are promoting Hurling and i applaud them for that, however they have also pumped a small fortune into it. Let's face it, the GAA aren't stupid, if Dublin are fighting on both fronts then Croker (the nations stadium) will be full most weekends on the run up to September, meaning more money in the coffers.

The problem arises from how this extra funding would impact on other counties, every county wants to look out for number 1 and Dublin are no different!

You mention the Dublin brand and that should that be done right then no extra funding would be needed, well why don't they push that more rather than leaving themselves open to ridicule with a request to be a Provincial County!?

I would like to read the document before getting to an all out arguement with anyone on it but the fact is, i only really care for Derry and UK GAA and if any of these proposals could possibily take funding from either of those then it is an awful idea. As i said, i want to read it fully first and my views are only based on skim reading everything so far.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Firstly have a look at the quotes below from Padraig Duffy and Christy Cooney at the launch of the report -

Páraic Duffy, Árd Stiúrthóir
“It is a simple statistical fact that Dublin constitutes, in terms of population catchment area, the single largest county unit in the Association, and is, therefore, a region in which the health of the GAA has a profound impact on the wider health of the Association. One indication of the importance of a successful GAA in Dublin at a national level is visible in the recent success of both the senior county football and hurling teams. Both teams, through winning the All Ireland Senior Football championship and National Hurling League, have generated excellent coverage for the Association in national media and it is an indisputable fact that successful Dublin county teams create an excitement and anticipation that no other county can match. Such coverage is crucial – if the GAA does not get these column inches and this broadcast time, they will surely go to other sports, and will act as promotional activity for sports with which the GAA is in competition in Dublin.”

Criostóir Ó Cuana, Uachtarán Cumann Lúthchleas Gael
“You don’t have to reside in Dublin or in its surroundings to fully appreciate the importance of the city and county to the overall health and well being of the Gaelic Athletic Association. The facts and figures speak for themselves and if we are not well organised, ambitious and competitive in our main urban bases and in Dublin in particular, there is a gaping hole in our Association. As a city and county Dublin has always held a special place in the Association that extends far beyond the numbers game that goes hand in hand with capital city demographics. The playing and administrative centre of the Association is located here and we all have happy memories of Croke Park and Dublin, no matter where it is we call home. The superb network of clubs in Dublin has provided a sporting infrastructure to behold that otherwise would not exist.”

So it seems the top brass in the GAA have a little more regard for what Dublin bring to the GAA. We are fortunate they are not as narrow minded as some or we may find the GAA in deep sh!t. And if you cannot see the cataclysmic change in sport in the last 10-15 years - never mind 35 years - then you are seriously deluded.

A copy of the report can be had at this link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is a well thought out and challenging report which deals with a number of crucial issues for Dublin GAA and for the games nationally in the coming years. Rather than take a swipe on the basis of some media reports have a look at it in its entirety and comment with some knowledge rather than the typically Irish reaction to lash out at what the media write..

Last edited by Parouisa on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:[The GAA does not need the 'Dublin brand', whatever that may be, and certainly does not need to pump money into it to the considerable detriment of 31 other counties.

Quite clearly the people who matter fundamentally disagree with you. If the Dublin brand (and there very much is one much as it may sicken you it seems) were to be given more commercial latitiude then Dublin would very much pay for itself. But you seem to think that Dublin shouldn't receive any more funding than Leitrim.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Parouisa wrote: Quite clearly the people who matter fundamentally disagree with you. If the Dublin brand (and there very much is one much as it may sicken you it seems) were to be given more commercial latitiude then Dublin would very much pay for itself. But you seem to think that Dublin shouldn't receive any more funding than Leitrim.

Indeed, no other county can match the excitement that the Dubs bring Rolling Eyes Thank God, Duffy and Cooney were there to utter such evangelical comments (between mouthfuls of food and drink supplied by the Bluewave organisers).

As for the Dublin brand, judging by the behaviour of posters on here, some may forgive me for thinking that it stands for arrogance, tantrums, paranoia and huffy walk-outs, but I'll instead give you the chance to enlighten me:

1) What is the 'Dublin brand'?
2) What does it stand for?
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Commercially I think there is huge potential in the Dublin brand in particular. If sponsorship is handled correctly and restrictions eased I think there is huge potential in attracting further investment. This goes for other counties too.

You really have to have your head in the sand or a massive chip on your shoulder if you cannot see the importance of Dublin to the GAA - a county that has 20% of the population and 30% of all children born in the country. If you do not agree that the County Board needs to plan strategically in the face of competition from other sports, in the face of potential and serious financial constraints, in terms of games promotion and development, in terms of meeting resource needs, both human and capital, then there is no point in engaging with you.

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Cheers for the link, will have a good nosey at it during work tomorrow!!!

I can see the need for this, i just want to now read it and make a proper judgement on it and its impact across the country.

Oh and as for "Brand Dublin", there definately is a commercial brand there, they shift a hell of an amount of shirts etc across the country and that could be worth a fortune for the county should they get the branding and copyright in place, however trying to get Leinster to wear a different colour will be near impossible! As was said last night, how can you brand a colour? Jez, that's like O2 trying to brand a bubble, you can try but it would fail!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Parouisa wrote: If you do not agree...then there is no point in engaging with you.

Roughly translated as: 'Having adamantly asserted that there is indeed a Dublin brand, I can't actually answer your 3 very basic questions regarding it'.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:40 pm

It seems to me that this 86 page document would have been more effective had it been a quarter the size. Too much wind and nonsense ..."it is an indisputable fact that successful Dublin county teams create an excitement and anticipation that no other county can match"

Suspect

And all this talk of the "Dublin brand"' shirt sales, sponsorships..............the traditionalist GAA man in me doesn't like where that one is going.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote: If you do not agree...then there is no point in engaging with you.

Roughly translated as: 'Having adamantly asserted that there is indeed a Dublin brand, I can't actually answer your 3 very basic questions regarding it'.

Of course there is a brand - as there is Leinster rugby or Manchester United - and it should be exploited to the full as could Tyrone, Cork or Kerry.

1) What is the 'Dublin brand'? Anything to do with Dublin GAA
2) What does it stand for? As above
3) What makes it different and more important to the well-being of the GAA than other county brands, assuming there are any? It isn't any different. For instance Tyrone could market umbrellas.

Now can I suggest you might read the report and enlighten youself before your usual cheap shots which are of course different, more haughty and more worthy than the Dublin fans' on here whose offerings are paranoia, rantings and arrogance.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:It seems to me that this 86 page document would have been more effective had it been a quarter the size. Too much wind and nonsense ..."it is an indisputable fact that successful Dublin county teams create an excitement and anticipation that no other county can match"

Suspect

And all this talk of the "Dublin brand"' shirt sales, sponsorships..............the traditionalist GAA man in me doesn't like where that one is going.

I think what Dublin are really trying to do is to bring their commercial assets to a professional level, on the whole not a bad thing for any county to want to do. Shirt sales are easy money and if your county rebranded it's crest (like mine did) then they took the first step in professional commercialism as they probably all put a copyright on it also. I did this for the club over here and it means that every time O'Neill's sell our shirts, we get a percentage of the sale due to our branding where we previously lost out on this money.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:It seems to me that this 86 page document would have been more effective had it been a quarter the size. Too much wind and nonsense ..."it is an indisputable fact that successful Dublin county teams create an excitement and anticipation that no other county can match"

Suspect

FFS you are quoting a foreword from the Ard Stiúrthóir there - its not even a part of the Report. But typical of the way the Report is being dealt with here.

So you think Dublin being in a stronger position to fund GAA development in Dublin would be a bad thing?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next