GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A decision is to be made...

5 posters

Go down

A decision is to be made... Empty A decision is to be made...

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Right so I'm now 4 matches away from finishing my last season of junior football (soccer, I mean, sorry) and I must decide where to go next with my sporting pursuits.

Over the years at the excellent club that is Pocklington Town AFC I've established myself as a fairly good and competent soccer player so the option of continuing into senior football is available.

I do however fancy a go at the sports that have dominated my interests and passions since I was very small and that would be Gaelic football and hurling.

There was a glimmer of hope for me finally getting to play for (or at least train with) a hurling team when I heard about a new team being set up in a Leeds.

There is of course a whole load of Gaelic football teams over in West Yorkshire so attempting to play for one of those is a tempting option.

Playing two sports is the obvious answer but there will realistically only be time for one with the other commitments I have.

So is it time to hang up the proud red shirt of Pock Town and head for Gaelic pastures new or should I stick to soccer and try and work my way through the ranks of the tough world of senior level?

Hmmmmm scratch
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

A decision is to be made... Empty Re: A decision is to be made...

Post  bald eagle Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm

I'd worry more about getting your tips in on time if i were you Sami!!!!! A decision is to be made... Icon_razz

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 pm

GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Well at this stage even though I assume you are tender in years
by the laws of probability if you were to make your fortune from Association football I'm sure Leeds or huddersfield or however would by now have made you put pen to paper.

So now that it is unlikley that you will make a career from sport I would suggest that you play whichever you feel will give you the most enjoyment as an amateur.

Other than that maybe have a go at a minority sport that may some day bring you olympic glory - some form of velodrome cycling or
simila
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm

OMAR wrote:Well at this stage even though I assume you are tender in years
by the laws of probability if you were to make your fortune from Association football I'm sure Leeds or huddersfield or however would by now have made you put pen to paper.

So now that it is unlikley that you will make a career from sport I would suggest that you play whichever you feel will give you the most enjoyment as an amateur.

Other than that maybe have a go at a minority sport that may some day bring you olympic glory - some form of velodrome cycling or
simila

yeah OMAR (welcome to the site), this is just for leisure - I hope to make my millions in broadcasting but that's not the point. I'll never be a professional footballer (soccer player) because I'm not quite that good Laughing (e.g. my left foot is only there to keep me standing).

my predicament is that I've never had the opportunity to play GAA before and really want to, but I wouldn't want to leave behind the soccer if I'm no good at GAA.

Anyway I'll keep on thinking.

As for minority sports, I am quite proficient at mountain biking, currently top of the Yorkshire MTBO league and have an unimportant national title at the moment. alien
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Sami,

Here is an idea for you.

There is a torumanemt called the GAAWMSFC or something like that, I played for my secondary school and we won the tournment.

I would say to you. to find someone in your local area that is into Gaelic football and ask them if they could start a GAA team for your school and get them to play in this tournament. It is only for west midlands schools but teams from London compete in them.

It would be a good chance for you to get a some practice.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Sami,

Here is an idea for you.

There is a torumanemt called the GAAWMSFC or something like that, I played for my secondary school and we won the tournment.

I would say to you. to find someone in your local area that is into Gaelic football and ask them if they could start a GAA team for your school and get them to play in this tournament. It is only for west midlands schools but teams from London compete in them.

It would be a good chance for you to get a some practice.

a good idea but I fear that is easier said than done. I can think of someone who might be right for the job, but finding players would be a tricky job.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:51 pm

''I do however fancy a go at the sports that have dominated my interests and passions since I was very small and that would be Gaelic football and hurling.''

Sami, there can only be one option for you after writing that sentence! Try it out, see if it's for you-if it is, fantastic, but if it isn't, you can always return to soccer! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 am

I feel that you should take the path most travelled by promising young sportsmen Sami.

If you are unsure which path to take then i suggest you give up sports altogether, take up smoking, drinking and chasing women (or men if that's your bag). When you're in the pub watching a game you can then tell all those that will listen just how good you were and that you could have been a great........if you stuck at it! The older you get, the better you were. Just a suggestion!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 am

bald eagle wrote:I feel that you should take the path most travelled by promising young sportsmen Sami.

If you are unsure which path to take then i suggest you give up sports altogether, take up smoking, drinking and chasing women (or men if that's your bag). When you're in the pub watching a game you can then tell all those that will listen just how good you were and that you could have been a great........if you stuck at it! The older you get, the better you were. Just a suggestion!

Wise words
In fact SAMI maybe if you have a sibling who actually does become successful you could be the flawed genius "brother" who was even more talented until he went off the rails.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

OMAR wrote:
bald eagle wrote:I feel that you should take the path most travelled by promising young sportsmen Sami.

Wise words
In fact SAMI maybe if you have a sibling who actually does become successful you could be the flawed genius "brother" who was even more talented until he went off the rails.

I gave up a fabulous sporting career for unselfish charity work for those in need. A decision is to be made... 417703
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm

OMAR wrote:

Wise words

OMAR, welcome to the site, i'm a big fan of your movies!!

Perhaps you could get Sami some work on-set as an "extra" or something?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:15 pm

bald eagle wrote:
OMAR wrote:

Wise words

OMAR, welcome to the site, i'm a big fan of your movies!!

Perhaps you could get Sami some work on-set as an "extra" or something?

is that a derogatory comment? Suspect
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Tis a no brainer, GAA all the way leddd! A decision is to be made... Icon_smile
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down