GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

+15
Bermuda_Bomber
mid-mon man
GAA-Fan
RMDrive
up.the.oak.trees
Swinford2009
Loyal2TheRoyal
bocerty
black&white
KerryKatriona
Thomas Clarke
Dougal
mullins
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Empty Re: The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:05 am

samin10 wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:
samin10 wrote:
bald eagle wrote:So does the fact that they have progressed mean that they haven't bottled their last 2 apperances in AI finals? Dress it up how you like, they have, and are bottlers. They played some great football to get to the AI final then shat the bed and got destroyed!

I wouldnt say they got destroyed last year and personally i think they were just beaten by the better team on the day. The big difference between Cork and Mayo for me is that Cork are vastly improved on what they were in 2007 and IMO they will win an all-ireland within the next couple of years something that i cannot say about Mayo. So in short, Cork like Mayo in the past decade have given us some of the worst all-ireland final performances in history but to put the two in the same category (as bottlers) is unfair on Cork as they clearly are much closer to addressing the problem than Mayo. Cork have progressed since 2007, Mayo have gone backwards since 2006

You see, I hate to see this type of comment from someone, because it shows that they haven't a clue about Mayo football. Look back to 2006, Mayo had a match against Leitrim, they just won that match, although Harte(midfielder) was sent off that day. Against Galway in the Connaught final, Mayo didn't play very well, they picked it up the last 15 minutes, but they were far from their best. Against Laois, they were way below par, again in the rematch too. Against Dublin, Mayo picked up their game. Mortimer played exceptionally well, McGarrity of course was disgustingly fouled by Whelan so went off, that's when Mayo started to go downhill a bit. In the second half, they staright away went 7 points to the bad. A Moran was brought on, scored a goal and points from Mortimer and McDonald etc. secured the match. Mayo played magnificently that day in some areas, but not after half-time. I won't even mention the final.

How have Mayo gone backwards since then? They have got fantastic new talents in the likes of Aidan and Séamus O'Shea, Varley, Vaughan and McLoughlin as well as others. You are only basing Mayo's 2006 season on one match, you're not looking deeply into their other encounters. I would call that surface analysis. Mayo have improved since then, psychologically they are getting stronger. They're scoring more goals, which was a problem for them back in '06. Forwards back in 2006 needed improvisation, their forwards have improved. Samin, that was a very loose statement.

2006, Mayo got to an all-ireland final, they were far from great but it still takes a decent side to get there. 2009 they deservedly get knocked out by Meath (a team that would shock you if they got to a quarter final). If you are basing Mayo's improvement on national league performances then you have not learnt your lesson (ie Mayo always look good in national league but do little in championship). How can you say they have got better when they get to a final in 06 and in their last championship game they get knocked out by someone who (without actually saying it) you make out to be rubbish. If thats progress then they must have been really bad in 2006.

Surface analysis again. I'm not basing Mayo's form on the League. You obviously haven't been watching much Mayo football, because if you had, you would see the areas in which they have improved. Mayo have developed their long ball technique into the full forwards, this has worked particularly well with O'Shea. The Half-Back line have made vast improvements with their handling and drive. Against Galway last year, their Midfield was on commanding form, same with their matches before that. You look back to 2006, their forwards need improvement. They were kicking alot of wides, sometimes couldn't keep the ball, but now over the past 2 seasons there has been marked improvement in that.

As for the highlighted line, I stopped paying attention after that, as it's paradoxal, bordering on laughable.

Back to top Go down

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Empty Re: The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
samin10 wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:
samin10 wrote:
bald eagle wrote:So does the fact that they have progressed mean that they haven't bottled their last 2 apperances in AI finals? Dress it up how you like, they have, and are bottlers. They played some great football to get to the AI final then shat the bed and got destroyed!

I wouldnt say they got destroyed last year and personally i think they were just beaten by the better team on the day. The big difference between Cork and Mayo for me is that Cork are vastly improved on what they were in 2007 and IMO they will win an all-ireland within the next couple of years something that i cannot say about Mayo. So in short, Cork like Mayo in the past decade have given us some of the worst all-ireland final performances in history but to put the two in the same category (as bottlers) is unfair on Cork as they clearly are much closer to addressing the problem than Mayo. Cork have progressed since 2007, Mayo have gone backwards since 2006

You see, I hate to see this type of comment from someone, because it shows that they haven't a clue about Mayo football. Look back to 2006, Mayo had a match against Leitrim, they just won that match, although Harte(midfielder) was sent off that day. Against Galway in the Connaught final, Mayo didn't play very well, they picked it up the last 15 minutes, but they were far from their best. Against Laois, they were way below par, again in the rematch too. Against Dublin, Mayo picked up their game. Mortimer played exceptionally well, McGarrity of course was disgustingly fouled by Whelan so went off, that's when Mayo started to go downhill a bit. In the second half, they staright away went 7 points to the bad. A Moran was brought on, scored a goal and points from Mortimer and McDonald etc. secured the match. Mayo played magnificently that day in some areas, but not after half-time. I won't even mention the final.

How have Mayo gone backwards since then? They have got fantastic new talents in the likes of Aidan and Séamus O'Shea, Varley, Vaughan and McLoughlin as well as others. You are only basing Mayo's 2006 season on one match, you're not looking deeply into their other encounters. I would call that surface analysis. Mayo have improved since then, psychologically they are getting stronger. They're scoring more goals, which was a problem for them back in '06. Forwards back in 2006 needed improvisation, their forwards have improved. Samin, that was a very loose statement.

2006, Mayo got to an all-ireland final, they were far from great but it still takes a decent side to get there. 2009 they deservedly get knocked out by Meath (a team that would shock you if they got to a quarter final). If you are basing Mayo's improvement on national league performances then you have not learnt your lesson (ie Mayo always look good in national league but do little in championship). How can you say they have got better when they get to a final in 06 and in their last championship game they get knocked out by someone who (without actually saying it) you make out to be rubbish. If thats progress then they must have been really bad in 2006.

Surface analysis again. I'm not basing Mayo's form on the League. You obviously haven't been watching much Mayo football, because if you had, you would see the areas in which they have improved. Mayo have developed their long ball technique into the full forwards, this has worked particularly well with O'Shea. The Half-Back line have made vast improvements with their handling and drive. Against Galway last year, their Midfield was on commanding form, same with their matches before that. You look back to 2006, their forwards need improvement. They were kicking alot of wides, sometimes couldn't keep the ball, but now over the past 2 seasons there has been marked improvement in that.

As for the highlighted line, I stopped paying attention after that, as it's paradoxal, bordering on laughable.

Ok, Mayo for Sam The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_eek The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_eek

If they have improved so much how come they couldnt beat a rubbish team like Meath? Thats right, it was the refs fault The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

The childish emoticons really suited that post.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

EstherMayo1951 wrote:The childish emoticons really suited that post.

Esther, you really dont have a clue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

samin10 wrote:

You have not provided a valid reason for your accusation that Mayo have gone downhill. You have not a clue.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
samin10 wrote:

You have not provided a valid reason for your accusation that Mayo have gone downhill. You have not a clue.

i am not getting into a whole discussion of how Mayo play, tactics etc. Championship Results are my valid reason (two all-ireland final appearances in 3 years compared to not even a semi final appearance in the next three years). I am basing my arguement on what has happened, yours is based on what might happen (untill it happens i am right and you're wrong)

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
samin10 wrote:

Based on last year Meath are a better team than Mayo, there is no arguing that. So by simple logic Meath should do better than Mayo this year. Simples.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

Move along folks - nothing to see here ............
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Jaysus some long thread here to have cropped up in one day!

My own take is that of course it wouldn't be a shock to see Meath in a quarter-final, I can't see how you could say that about a team that has reached two semi-finals in the past few years. They may not be one of the very top teams in the country these days but are still a dangerous team in championship football. They're a bit inconsistent when you look at their results, losing to teams you'd have expected them to beat but then rising to beat perceived "bigger" counties. As has been said already they just don't care about what teams have achieved and their reputation, they just go out there to get stuck in and beat them. I think Liam's comparison with the rugby teams sums it up perfectly. I've always liked Meath because of this, and had great respect for their AI winning teams of the past 20-odd years. I think they're still got that attitude too, and play a decent brand of football. Of course they've had a couple of shockers in recent years too as we hear all the time here! But sure they're never boring!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm

The ironic thing is that Esther is chastising Samin10 for the exact same reason that I criticised her. Double standards if I ever seen them. Also I note she opted not to reply to my post yet again. It ain't hard to see why she gets so caught up in all this talk of opinions because only Mullins agrees with the point she's raised on this thread. And lets be fair, that probably lessens her argument even more.

As for Mayo in 2006 compared to Mayo in 2009. 2006 team was miles better and only a deluded supporter would convince themselves otherwise. In 2006, they had one of the finest footballers of the generation namely Ciaran McDonald. My words could not do him enough justice. They also had McGarritty and Harte, the best midfield combination at the time and a couple of other free scoring forwards. Maybe they're on an upward curve right now but certainly they aren't as good as the 2006 All-Ireland finalists.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:The ironic thing is that Esther is chastising Samin10 for the exact same reason that I criticised her. Double standards if I ever seen them. Also I note she opted not to reply to my post yet again. It ain't hard to see why she gets so caught up in all this talk of opinions because only Mullins agrees with the point she's raised on this thread. And lets be fair, that probably lessens her argument even more.

As for Mayo in 2006 compared to Mayo in 2009. 2006 team was miles better and only a deluded supporter would convince themselves otherwise. In 2006, they had one of the finest footballers of the generation namely Ciaran McDonald. My words could not do him enough justice. They also had McGarritty and Harte, the best midfield combination at the time and a couple of other free scoring forwards. Maybe they're on an upward curve right now but certainly they aren't as good as the 2006 All-Ireland finalists.

Looks like plenty of your buddies are circling essie backing up your rubbish...Loyal even you know you won the game v Mayo by default last year...,.. As for this year we will start a new decade putting you where you deserve to be always chasing your tail....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:The ironic thing is that Esther is chastising Samin10 for the exact same reason that I criticised her. Double standards if I ever seen them. Also I note she opted not to reply to my post yet again. It ain't hard to see why she gets so caught up in all this talk of opinions because only Mullins agrees with the point she's raised on this thread. And lets be fair, that probably lessens her argument even more.

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that. You dont have to be watching Mayo week in week out in the national league to know that. They may be improving on the last couple of years (wouldnt be hard) but they are not at 2004-06 level yet (not that is was of a great level either)

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 pm

samin10 wrote:

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that. You dont have to be watching Mayo week in week out in the national league to know that. They may be improving on the last couple of years (wouldnt be hard) but they are not at 2004-06 level yet (not that is was of a great level either)

Good post samin but i suppose in 04-06 they were a step above most....Would like the Dubs to reach that level soon..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda_Bomber Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 pm

I don't think it'd be too much of a surprise if we make the quarter finals, but equally I wouldn't be surprised if we are completely out after 2 games. We are just so unpredictable, I'd really like to see the real Meath stand up, but then again I might not like what I see!

Shane O'Rourke back is a huge bonus if he can stay fit, he brings something different to the team and if he can reach the levels of 2007, he'll be a handful for anyone. I've always rated McGuinness highly, hopefully last year's championship will stand him in good stead, and if he can perhaps stay a bit tighter to his man, the no.6 jersey is his for years to come. Full back continues to be a major problem, Reilly seems our only viable option but he seems prone to injury and there's no-one else really. MCGill doesn't appear to be on the panel and he's someone we could really use, not sure why he's not. Same for Paddy Smyth, best playmaker/creative forward in the county but don't think he's able to commit the time. It's unfortunate as both these lads would certainly improve the team.

All in all, I could maybe see us in the quarters, but don't see us going any further than that.
Bermuda_Bomber
Bermuda_Bomber
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Meath
Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:17 pm

meath have surprised me in the past by getting to the quarters and further,and i wouldnt be surprised if they surprised me again. Very Happy .either i continually underrate meath or they continually overachieve,either way,i can think of at least 8 teams id rather not meet.maybe ive just been brain washed to not rate stonethrowers.
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:21 pm

The type of logic and debate that constitutes the vast majority of this thread, would be the exact sad rationale, that would put most people off, be it a forum, or website or even worse, the very sport itself.
Its pathetic, oneupmanship, my county is better than yours, type bull.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 pm

mossbags wrote:The type of logic and debate that constitutes the vast majority of this thread, would be the exact sad rationale, that would put most people off, be it a forum, or website or even worse, the very sport itself.

Were you in a head shop today? The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_eek

Strange man - strange. Go to your profile and click on all crap posts by Mossbags and then come back and throw stones .... The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:10 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
mossbags wrote:The type of logic and debate that constitutes the vast majority of this thread, would be the exact sad rationale, that would put most people off, be it a forum, or website or even worse, the very sport itself.

Were you in a head shop today? The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_eek

Strange man - strange. Go to your profile and click on all crap posts by Mossbags and then come back and throw stones .... The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_lol

Last week when it was TC, you accused him of being drunk('on the sherry'), now it me, you call me a druggie('head shops'), where will this buck stop now Jason? The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Kopfschuettel The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Fresse The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_razz
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

Mossbags, "The Western Messiah" cuts to the nub of the issue here..... The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Affraid
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 am

mossbags wrote:Last week when it was TC, you accused him of being drunk('on the sherry'), now it me, you call me a druggie('head shops'), where will this buck stop now Jason? The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Kopfschuettel The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Fresse The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_razz

Head shops don't sell drugs!!!! They are legal. Jeeze its late - no hot water here - but time for some bath salts nonetheless ..... The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Drunken_smilie
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
mossbags wrote:Last week when it was TC, you accused him of being drunk('on the sherry'), now it me, you call me a druggie('head shops'), where will this buck stop now Jason? The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Kopfschuettel The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Fresse The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_razz

Head shops don't sell drugs!!!! They are legal.

I'll take your word for it, but in so doing I think its only fair to point out that Drumcondra and the rest of the world are not always neccesarily one and the same thing Jayo man.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:29 am

Gimme Glasnevin any day Moss!!! Incidentally - and a total aside - nearly - I was in Harolds X lunchtime on Sunday and was stopped at traffic lights near SCR when a Mohican came walking up our direction - hadn't seen one in years (come to think of it this guy may have been the last of the mohicans! The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_biggrin ) anyways I sez to the 6 and 4 year old - look at the state of this fellas hair ... they sed 'What? Who? Where Da?' Next thing he disappears into a shop before I could show them ........ a head shop!!!!!!! The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_razz Seriously!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Gimme Glasnevin any day Moss!!! Incidentally - and a total aside - nearly - I was in Harolds X lunchtime on Sunday and was stopped at traffic lights near SCR when a Mohican came walking up our direction - hadn't seen one in years (come to think of it this guy may have been the last of the mohicans! The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_biggrin ) anyways I sez to the 6 and 4 year old - look at the state of this fellas hair ... they sed 'What? Who? Where Da?' Next thing he disappears into a shop before I could show them ........ a head shop!!!!!!! The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_razz Seriously!
Ah here Jayo, not all us Galwegiens are pot smoking, acid trippin, mohican headed, grizzly haired, dragon chasing, hurling playing, Irish spaking, free loving, krusty lookin, long haired, trad listnening, handsome fooks!! *

*Tell 'em nutn' Clash man!
The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage - Page 4 Icon_rr
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
I'm saying that the reason that they had bad performances in 2008 and 2009 and so far 2010, is simply because the quality of footballers and the skill is not there. I never said Meath won't get to the quarters(please read all of my post) I said it would be a shock-and it would. You can't see 8 teams that are better than Meath?!?! Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone, Derry, Monaghan, Galway-that's 8 so far! I could go on....

Think I've waited long enough to re-surface this thread. What can I say? Its author does look incredibly foolish now. Must say it pained me to read such nonsense on this most reputable of GAA sites. Hopefully, some sort of ban is in the offing for bringing the website into disrepute. Prepare to be shocked young Esther.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:43 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
I can say with certainty that Mayo are better than Meath.

Hahahahahahahaha!
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next