GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

+15
Bermuda_Bomber
mid-mon man
GAA-Fan
RMDrive
up.the.oak.trees
Swinford2009
Loyal2TheRoyal
bocerty
black&white
KerryKatriona
Thomas Clarke
Dougal
mullins
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Empty The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

I didn't think I'd have to justify a comment which is accurate and encompasses the opinion of a lot of GAA followers, but some people are stubborn and won't debate without turning to 'insults', which undermine their argument-here it goes:

Meath played diabolical last year against Dublin in Leinster. Dublin played terribly too, but they still beat them. Dublin had a multitude of wides that day, had the majority of possession, and could have won by more. Meath went straight into the qualifiers-and look at the teams they were up against: Roscommon, Waterford, Westmeath and Limerick! Talk about an easy passage into the quarters! Meath haven't won the Leinster Championship since 2001, 9 years ago. Yet some people still mention 'sure we got to the semi-finals twice in the past 3 years!' Look at their performances in the two semi-finals and it's nothing to be proud of.

Mayo V Meath last year was an awfully poor game. Mayo were up by 4 points in the latter stages of the game. Bray's goal should never have been allowed-he hopped the ball twice before scoring. Meath free awarded at the start of the second half should have been void-a Mayo player pushed in the back-the free awarded to Meath was a joke-and it resulted in a score for Meath. Farrell was a joke, fouling the whole time and getting away with it, because Meath had a 16th player on their side-the ref. A penalty given to Meath was one of the most terrible decisions of the game. O'Malley barely touched him and after speaking to many people after the game, they all had the same opinion. And the goal that was but wasn't given for Mayo? Another act from the Meath's friend-the ref. Meath barely winning a match even though they were given the ultimate of chances by the Ref.

And of course the Semi-final v Kerry. The scoreline totally flattered Meath. They only scored a goal in stoppage time-typical. Meath were trailing by 8 points late on in that game. Kerry still beat them by 3 or 4 points, even though they were far from their best in that game. Meath were miles below par in that game. Look back to 2007 to the Semi-final-Meath beaten by about 10 points by a Cork team that went on to lose by 10 points to Kerry. Meath getting to 2 semi's in 3 years-nothing to be proud of-it's like they didn't even show up!

2008 was another forgettable year for Meath-losing to Wexford and Limerick. So, it's clear Meath's performances over the past 2 years in the Championship are diabolical-and that's the gravest of understatements. What team would be afraid of Meath? Seriously? With their record of bottling it in the latter-even the early stages of the championship, what team would be concerned about meeting Meath in the Championship-apart from the low-performing teams.

Look at their NFL results so far this year-They scraped past Westmeath, lost to Tipp, narrowly won against Laois, and got well beaten by Donegal. They're just some of their pathetic results. Look at who was playing for Meath against Donegal-10 of the team who played against Kerry last year in the Semi's. Can you honestly say that Meath are a team to be feared with that sort of statistic?

Meath were dog lucky to get that easy passage through to the quarters last year, and get a lot of decisions a seemingly blind and/or biased ref gave them. One thing's for certain, they won't get anywhere near the lucky turns they got last year-bearing that in mind, and their previous performances in the last 2 championships and the NFL this year-Can you honestly say that it wouldn't be a shock if Meath got to the Quarters this year?
Can you see where I have the opinion that if Meath get to the quarters it would be one heck of a shock?

Last edited by EstherMayo1951 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Empty Re: The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:01 pm

You are right that they also got Limerick in the qualifiers the year before. At one stage Limerick led by 20 points before taking their foot off the gas and leaking 4 late goals to 'only' win by 4-12 to 4-03 - a mere nine points. In Leinster that year they led Wexford by 10 points at half-time - and lost.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Empty Re: The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 pm

I wouldnt be shocked at all.

Meath have performed better in their semi finals than Mayo did in either final in 04 or 06.

I would rather face Mayo (the biggest bucklers in history) in championship football than ever face Meath.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 pm

samin10 wrote:I would rather face Mayo (the biggest bucklers in history) in championship football than ever face Meath.

Hey - what about us???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
samin10 wrote:I would rather face Mayo (the biggest bucklers in history) in championship football than ever face Meath.

Hey - what about us???

Na its only been recently for Dublin, Mayo have been doing it for over 50 years.

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 pm

samin10 wrote:I wouldnt be shocked at all.

Meath have performed better in their semi finals than Mayo did in either final in 04 or 06.

I would rather face Mayo (the biggest bucklers in history) in championship football than ever face Meath.

Agree 100% Samin.

So what you're trying to say is that Meath won't get to the QF in 2010 because they didn't do that well in 09 or 08 and they have been poor in the league?

I don't think it'd be a shock as i can't see 8 teams that are better than them and to slag them off for the passage they got to the QF last year is very unfair, you can only beat what's in front of you after all and Meath had no control over who they played.

They are a better team than you give them credit for!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

I can't take away from how far they have got over the last few years cos it has been further than us sometimes (even though we beat them) - but I have constantly said I think they are a poor enough team. Get a name for getting up early and you can stay in bed all day kinda thing. Maybe its a reflection on the state of football over the last 3 years - after Cork, Kerry and Tyrone everyone else is poor enough.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

I suppose this once proud county can always look back on the 00s as the decade they beat Dublin once ...They have fallen on hard times and are waiting for boylan to arrive back and lead them back to the promised land...

It wouldn't have been difficult for EOB to improve this team but he has failed to reignite this county. And whos big claim to fame is beating hurling counties through the Qualifiers in 09..And getting beating by hurling counties in 08

It took a poor ref v Mayo in 09 to keep them in the game against a young Mayo team...

So it would be a big shock to see them in the 1/4 this year- unless they get a chance to renew there new rivalary with the hurling counties.. The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage 652864
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Say what ya like Smile We'll do our talking on the pitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:37 pm

RoyalGirl wrote:Say what ya like Smile We'll do our talking on the pitch

and with your fists The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Icon_biggrin
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Dougal wrote:
RoyalGirl wrote:Say what ya like Smile We'll do our talking on the pitch

and with your fists The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Icon_biggrin

Well if they don't want to get hit they shouldn't put their faces there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:09 pm

bald eagle wrote:

Agree 100% Samin.

So what you're trying to say is that Meath won't get to the QF in 2010 because they didn't do that well in 09 or 08 and they have been poor in the league?

I don't think it'd be a shock as i can't see 8 teams that are better than them and to slag them off for the passage they got to the QF last year is very unfair, you can only beat what's in front of you after all and Meath had no control over who they played.

I'm saying that the reason that they had bad performances in 2008 and 2009 and so far 2010, is simply because the quality of footballers and the skill is not there. I never said Meath won't get to the quarters(please read all of my post) I said it would be a shock-and it would. You can't see 8 teams that are better than Meath?!?! Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone, Derry, Monaghan, Galway-that's 8 so far! I could go on....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:12 pm

yes, you could go on...

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd also agree with this. There is no doubting that Meath have a lot of weaknesses, but they have made the semi finals in 2 of the last 3 years, something only Cork, Kerry & Tyrone have done, so they must have something. When I look at Meath I see a big, strong side who have ball-winning forwards. When they are bad (like against Dublin last year) they can look awful, but when on a run they will give most sides a game. Shane O'Rourke back is also a huge plus for them.

Meath are on the tough side of the draw in Leinster this year, so will find it hard to lift that title, but the qualifiers have been good to them in recent times, and I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see them make it through to the last 8 again.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:16 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

Agree 100% Samin.

I'm saying that the reason that they had bad performances in 2008 and 2009 and so far 2010, is simply because the quality of footballers and the skill is not there. I never said Meath won't get to the quarters(please read all of my post) I said it would be a shock-and it would. You can't see 8 teams that are better than Meath?!?! Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone, Derry, Monaghan, Galway-that's 8 so far! I could go on....

Please do........

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:18 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

Agree 100% Samin.

Well its all about opinions, i dont think any one of Derry, Monaghan or Mayo and possibly Galway could say with any degree of certainty that they are better than Meath. I would say Meath are at least on a par with any one of them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Meath are on the tough side of the draw in Leinster this year

But I thought Leinster was woeful! Sure how could you have a tough draw in it!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Meath are on the tough side of the draw in Leinster this year

One sides woefuler than the other

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:20 pm

On their day Meath are more than capable of beating Wexford.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

i presume he means the defending champions are on that side.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:22 pm

samin10 wrote:i presume he means the defending champions are on that side.

Sure we're brutal! Meath nearly always get further than us .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Who said that Leinster was woeful? The standard may not be great, but it is tough to call and makes for good viewing.

It is a 4 horse race, which makes it reasonably competitive. Dublin, Laois & Meath are all on the same side of the draw, which suggests Kildare should be favourites, but any of those could win it. Even Laois.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 pm

samin10 wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

Agree 100% Samin.

Well its all about opinions, i dont think any one of Derry, Monaghan or Mayo and possibly Galway could say with any degree of certainty that they are better than Meath. I would say Meath are at least on a par with any one of them.

I can say with certainty that Galway and Mayo are better than Meath, I would also say Derry and Monaghan are.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:23 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
samin10 wrote:i presume he means the defending champions are on that side.

Sure we're brutal! Meath nearly always get further than us .....

Dubs are obviously hard to beat in Leinster championship. But yes youse are brutal against non leinster teams The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Icon_smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 pm

samin10 wrote:Dubs are obviously hard to beat in Leinster championship. But yes youse are brutal against non leinster teams The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Icon_smile

I'll have to check but I don't think we have beaten a non Leinster team in the Leinster Championship during our five in a row run ..... The reason why it would be a surprise if Meath reached the Quarter-final stage Icon_study
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next