GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galway joins the other great cities of the World

+3
Grenvile
Jayo Cluxton
mossbags
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Galway joins the other great cities of the World Empty Galway joins the other great cities of the World

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:01 am

Galway set to win lucrative last leg in 2012 Volvo Ocean Race

With news due on Tuesday, Galway bid is ‘ten points up, with ten minutes to go,” says John Killeen

There is growing confidence in Galway that not alone will the city will
be named as a stopover port for the 2012 Volvo Ocean Race, but that it
is in with a great chance of hosting the finish of the race — an award
that would multiply the massive coverage it received last year.

The third and final European stop - and also the finishing leg of the
round the world race - is expected to be named on Tuesday after both
Lisbon and Lorient were named as the first two European ports.

However Galway is still in with a chance to beat off the competition
which includes the traditional ports of northern Europe, including
Amsterdam and the Swedish cities of Gotheburg and Stockholm that are
the home ports of sponsors Volvo and race favourites Ericsson. To
secure the finish of the race would have been thought to have been
beyond the wildest dreams of the Galway backers, but in the past few
days, it has become a strong possibility. However, the route and the
individual inter-port races has yet to be finally decided.

Let’s Do It Galway chairman John Killeen says the intense lobbying that
has taken place throughout Europe in the last six months is now over,
and all Galway can do is wait and hope until next week’s announcement.

However he still remains “reasonably confident” the decision will be in Galway’s favour.
“We are nearly there, but not yet, and while I am reasonably confident, there are always pitfalls.
“The Volvo officials are keeping their cards close to their chest on
this one, but the official announcement is expected next Tuesday,” he
says.

Whatever the option, if Galway is chosen, it will be the last stop in the race which takes place in 2011-12.
The previous race finished in St Petersburg after 37,000 nautical miles
of the world’s most treacherous seas via Cape Town, Kochi, Singapore,
Qingdao, around Cape Horn to Rio de Janeiro, Boston, Galway, Gotheburg
and Stockholm..

After Galway hosted one of the most successful stops in the race
history, John Killeen says he will be extremely disappointed if the
decision goes against its return.
Mr Killeen also confirmed that the Green Dragon, Ireland’s entry in
last year’s race, will compete in the next event - whether or not
Galway gets the nod to host this stopover.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Galway joins the other great cities of the World Empty Re: Galway joins the other great cities of the World

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am

mossbags wrote:With news due on Tuesday, Galway bid is ‘ten points up, with ten minutes to go,” says John Killeen

Remember the 1994 All Ireland hurling final ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Galway joins the other great cities of the World Empty Re: Galway joins the other great cities of the World

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am

Thought they already had something like this
I was down there the first friday in June last year and there was a load of boats and Volvos - Though it is all a bit vague.
Was heading to Rosmuc for the AI gaeltacht and had a stopover.
Not a memorable weekend all round - was a good one though !

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Well I think it's fantastic for the City. Millions of euro were generated last year, and it attracted many tourists to the city. This is what we need in this economic climate, the promotion of tourism. Ireland is blessed with rich historical, cultural and environmental heritage and tourists should be able to embrace that. The Volvo Ocean Race will bring millions to Galway again in 2012, and I look forward to it!

*I missed last year's due to exams Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Ruanua wrote:Thought they already had something like this

They had a leg of the race Rua - now they are looking for the finish.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Boston, Rio De Janerio, St Petersbug, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Singapore, Cape-Town
Galway Galway joins the other great cities of the World Icon_rr

As someone living in this spectacular major international city I warmly invite you all to come and enjoy this great spectacle when it comes. I will make room in the crib for all of ye so that ye might get the chance to leave the rat infested dystopian sewers and cess pit, no mark boglands that make up the rest of this island to come and experience what life is like in one of the worlds leading cities.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm

When I first saw this thread I was sure it was about Galway getting bounced into the Leinster Championship ..... thus joining the great city of the world ... Dublin.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:When I first saw this thread I was sure it was about Galway rescuing the Leinster Championship

Your welcome
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:26 pm

mossbags wrote:Boston, Rio De Janerio, St Petersbug, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Singapore, Cape-Town

When ya put it like that, it's going to be one disillusioning end to the Race!

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:28 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
mossbags wrote:Boston, Rio De Janerio, St Petersbug, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Singapore, Cape-Town

When ya put it like that, it's going to be one disillusioning end to the Race!

Evidently, the worlds esteemed boating community would not agree Galway joins the other great cities of the World Icon_wink
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Is St Petersbug named after the first pope's pet insect??
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:

This was deliberate. The success of the event last year had much to do with a concerted and noble top secret effort to remove all the Mayo's from the town for the week. Expect to miss 2012 as well Essie, sorry.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:47 pm

mossbags wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

This was deliberate. The success of the event last year had much to do with a concerted and noble top secret effort to remove all the Mayo's from the town for the week. Expect to miss 2012 as well Essie, sorry.

But I did the exams in Galway scratch Admit it Mossy, Galway would be nothing without Mayo. Who else would show the Galwegians how to kick a ball? Even though they haven't mastered that to perfection!

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:14 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
mossbags wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

But I did the exams in Galway scratch Admit it Mossy, Galway would be nothing without Mayo. Who else would show the Galwegians how to kick a ball? Even though they haven't mastered that to perfection!

A habit of winning the odd All-Ireland Final suggests otherwise.

Removed or kept busy, its either/or really. The point being that the streets will be reserved for the more cultured residents and our many visitors from afar. We don't want anything to go catastophicly wrong you see Essie, so its just better if all the Mayo's were swept under the carpet for the week like last time. Don't worry though, we might throw the Donegals in with ye to keep ye company this time.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:26 pm

mossbags wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:
mossbags wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

A habit of winning the odd All-Ireland Final suggests otherwise.

Removed or kept busy, its either/or really. The point being that the streets will be reserved for the more cultured residents and our many visitors from afar. We don't want anything to go catastophicly wrong you see Essie, so its just better if all the Mayo's were swept under the carpet for the week like last time. Don't worry though, we might throw the Donegals in with ye to keep ye company this time.

I've lived in Galway for 16 years Mossy, and I have alot of connections with the county, more than you could imagine, I can assure you! I have done a whole lot of work in different areas in Galway City, and helped alot of people, so if anyone is 'cultured' enough to be at the VOR, I can assure you, it's me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
I've lived in Galway for 16 years Mossy, and I have alot of connections with the county, more than you could imagine, I can assure you! I have done a whole lot of work in different areas in Galway City, and helped alot of people, so if anyone is 'cultured' enough to be at the VOR, I can assure you, it's me.

So cultured you need to tell us you're cultured.. scratch

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Mossy i was down there a few weeks ago -after a few pints i went for a kebab only to be told we have no kebabs only noodles....Very cultured now Galway joins the other great cities of the World Icon_wink
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 pm

mullins wrote:Mossy i was down there a few weeks ago -after a few pints i went for a kebab only to be told we have no kebabs only noodles....Very cultured now Galway joins the other great cities of the World Icon_wink

Yeah, Supermacs even give out plastic forks with their curry chips these days.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

So cultured you need to tell us you're cultured.. scratch

scratch scratch scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:36 am

mossbags wrote:Yeah, Supermacs even give out plastic forks with their curry chips these days.

Cuts down on fatal stabbings I heard ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
mossbags wrote:Yeah, Supermacs even give out plastic forks with their curry chips these days.

Cuts down on fatal stabbings I heard ....

This is a Galway thread, not Limerick, not Dublin.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:10 am

Its a great city if you like drinkin or eating good food. Its safe enough and good craic but after 3 years living in it I have yet to find anything else of significance to do in the place. Without a car to go wesht the place is a bit of a bore to be honest Galway joins the other great cities of the World Sleep .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 am

Sebastian wrote:Its a great city if you like drinkin or eating good food. Its safe enough and good craic but after 3 years living in it I have yet to find anything else of significance to do in the place. Without a car to go wesht the place is a bit of a bore to be honest Galway joins the other great cities of the World Sleep .

I'm sorry, but I'm going to defend Galway on this one. What do you mean it's a bit of a bore? Have you had a look around recently? There are multiple cinemas, beaches, swimming pools, football pitches, NUIG which has a multitude of facilities including a Gym, loads of shops within the city, numerous golf courses, there's nearly always a big match on either GAA or soccer, etc. and these are all located within the city. If you classify Galway as a bore, we should all move to Westmeath because it must be one heck of a county.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am

EstherMayo1951 wrote:If you classify Galway as a bore, we should all move to Westmeath because it must be one heck of a county.

Razz What a line!! That put you in your place Seb!!! Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am

They have got the final leg of the race.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next