GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great minors whom became great Seniors......

+2
GAA-Fan
Boxtyeater
6 posters

Go down

Great minors whom became great Seniors...... Empty Great minors whom became great Seniors......

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:23 pm

I'll start so then:
Barney Rock.
Joe Canning:
"Beano" McDonald.

I'm omitting, of course, the greatest ever Minor of all time: John (Scan) Concannon, who walked away.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Great minors whom became great Seniors...... Empty Re: Great minors whom became great Seniors......

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Joe Canning has played three senior matches at Championship level and two of those were against nothing teams.

Now mossbags and Clash this is what I mean. You say people don't compare him to all the great men in GAA history, look at this. Unquestionably over-rated.

Great minors who became great seniors! Rolling Eyes Joe Canning Rolling Eyes Oh dear.

Back to top Go down

Great minors whom became great Seniors...... Empty Re: Great minors whom became great Seniors......

Post  GAA-Fan Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Oisin McConville - he has won everything on offer in Gaelic football at all levels.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 pm

admin - i have to say Mc Conville is one footballer i never liked something about him that makes me want to smack him every time i see him.

I know this may also sound controversial but i never classed him as a particularly 'great' footballer either.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Boxy, Surprised you didn't Tommy Murphy of Laoise wasn't he the orginal wonder child.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Joe Canning has played three senior matches at Championship level and two of those were against nothing teams.

Now mossbags and Clash this is what I mean. You say people don't compare him to all the great men in GAA history, look at this. Unquestionably over-rated.

Great minors who became great seniors! Rolling Eyes Joe Canning Rolling Eyes Oh dear.

loyal-thats a load of nonsense and you know it. Joe canning has proven himself to be a fantastic player, great potential and he has youth on his side. He certainly isnt over-rated...if anything he's under-rated. He will be a vital asset to galway hurling in the years ahead. Even when he was playing against Newtownshandrum in the club final he scored 1-6....and he was 17!!!! Dont make stupid comments loyal

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Armagh02 wrote:Oisin McConville - he has won everything on offer in Gaelic football at all levels.

no he hasnt. he's neveer won an all-ireland u21 and im pretty sure he never won a minor. he's won everything to win at senior level but there are some better players than mcconville who were also great underage players
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Swinford2009 wrote:
Armagh02 wrote:Oisin McConville - he has won everything on offer in Gaelic football at all levels.

no he hasnt. he's neveer won an all-ireland u21 and im pretty sure he never won a minor. he's won everything to win at senior level but there are some better players than mcconville who were also great underage players

oooohh admin-somebody doesnt know their stuff.... affraid Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:16 pm

I remember reading that line off somewhere may have been RTE Laughing come to think of it he hasnt won a railway cup or macory cup. Rolling Eyes

I think the dislike for McConville started after he released his book, some of it was inaccurate if im honest.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Armagh02 wrote:I remember reading that line off somewhere may have been RTE Laughing come to think of it he hasnt won a railway cup or macory cup. Rolling Eyes

I think the dislike for McConville started after he released his book, some of it was inaccurate if im honest.

was the book called the gambler?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Dermot Mc Nicholl of Derry, started playing minor football for the county when he was 14 years old, and his senior when he was 17 years old and still on the minor team.

Roll of Honour:

AI Senior Winner- 1
AI Minor WInner- 1
National League Winner- 3
Mc Kenna Cup-1

County Title- 2 (One in Derry one in Boston)
County Minor Titles- 2

Sigerson- 3
Ryan- 2
Mc Rory 4

All Star- 1

As well as winning all the above he was runner up in:

2 Ulster Senior Finals
1 All Ireland U21
2 AI Minors Finals
2 Hogan Finals
1 Mc Rory Cup

He was also winner of at least one railway cup, and also, notice he has appeared in 5 McRory finals, thats means he was on the panel since he was 3rd year! (13-14 years old) That is a truely a remarkable feat I'm not sure any other School can boast a 5 times mc rory finalist 4 times winner.

Last edited by NiamhDerry on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Would Sean Cavanagh fit into this category? Only seen him the once at minor level, the Ulster final against Monaghan in 2001, but if I remember right he was brilliant that day and I was thinking this was a real prospect for Tyrone.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Somewhat suprisingly,to my knowledge Mark Lynch and Gerard O Kane are the only 2 survivors of the 2002 Minor winning Derry team, can't find a team list anywhere to check.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 am

NiamhDerry wrote:Somewhat suprisingly,to my knowledge Mark Lynch and Gerard O Kane are the only 2 survivors of the 2002 Minor winning Derry team, can't find a team list anywhere to check.

Niamh the Derry team that day was as follows

E. McNicholl, M. McGoldrick, G. O'Kane, J. Keenan, C. McCallon, M. Lynch, P. O'Hea, P. Bradley, R. Convery, B. McGoldrick, C. O'Kane, C. Moran, J. Bateson, P. Young, C. Mullan.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:15 pm

bocerty wrote:
NiamhDerry wrote:Somewhat suprisingly,to my knowledge Mark Lynch and Gerard O Kane are the only 2 survivors of the 2002 Minor winning Derry team, can't find a team list anywhere to check.

Niamh the Derry team that day was as follows

E. McNicholl, M. McGoldrick, G. O'Kane, J. Keenan, C. McCallon, M. Lynch, P. O'Hea, P. Bradley, R. Convery, B. McGoldrick, C. O'Kane, C. Moran, J. Bateson, P. Young, C. Mullan.

Oh Barry Mc Goldrick as well. Michael Mc Goldrick, Paul O Hea too have been floating in and out of the panel, no sure who that p bradley is unless it's paul.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 am

JimWexford wrote:Boxy, Surprised you didn't Tommy Murphy of Laoise wasn't he the orginal wonder child.

Jim, I may be old but not old enough to see him play.
By all accounts a truly gifted minor and senior who received an All-Star "Hall of Fame" in latter life.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down