GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest footballing performance of all time?

+15
Dougal
Bermuda_Bomber
up.the.oak.trees
black&white
redhandman
patrique
Sawyer
bocerty
clash-of-da-ash
bald eagle
Thomas Clarke
Real Kerry Fan
mossbags
mullins
Loyal2TheRoyal
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest footballing performance of all time?

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:54 pm

redhandman wrote:pick any game canavan played from 1994 to 2000 he carried the whole county on his back at that time andwas vary nearly the first man to win an allireland on his own. if he only had cush half fit we would have won , or paul donnelly picked to start C redmond wouldnt have acted the b0llix with baldie paulie about.

he wouldn't have been on his own then if he needed those 2 eh?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Greatest footballing performance of all time?

Post  redhandman Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 pm

i said very nearly the first man to win an all ireland on his own. i didnt say he did i said he nearly did. i also said that had either one of the other two names mentioned had have been fit to start we would have won that allireland.

please read the posts carefully before acting the smart arse.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Maurice Fitz in 1997 final was one of the best I've seen.

Eamon O'Hara against Tyrone in 2002 was immense as well, he only really turned it on for the last 25 minutes. Mopping up breaks around the middle, surging forward and taking the fight to Tyrone. Drove us over the line that day, those 25 min earned him his All-Star
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Derry v Monaghan in Clones 2009 Spectacular! Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 654413 Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 417703
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

redhandman wrote: had either one of the other two names mentioned had have been fit to start we would have won that allireland.

Sadly Redhand, I don't think a fit Cush would have mattered, as I'm certain that Art wouldn't have started him anyway. He had him on the bench all year, along with Cavlan, Mattie McGleenan and Donnelly, the three of whom were fit to play. Art didn't trust any of those guys, preferring to take the safe, earnest and hardworking options like Ciaran Loughran, Barney Gormley and Ciaran Corr, not realising that failing to take a risk is, in itself, also a risk. His conservatism cost us at least 2 all-irelands.

Cavlan never got on at all that day. He was only 19, but had been on the senior panel for 2 years at that stage. 2 weeks after the all-ireland he scored 1-6 away to Derry in the League (early rounds were played in the Autumn back then), and two weeks after that he took Martin O'Connell for 0-8 in Navan. Tyrone only needed 1 more point against Dublin, but the other 5 forwards Art picked against Dublin contributed 0-0 between them.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Thomas is that you in your picture?
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 pm

up.the.oak.trees wrote:Thomas is that you in your picture?

Please tell me that was a joke! Lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 pm

up.the.oak.trees wrote:Thomas is that you in your picture?

Thomas Clarke-where do I start? One of the greatest men that ever lived, who devoted his life to Irish freedom. He had authority in the IRB, and was stationed in the GPO during the Easter Rising. He died by execution. One of the true Irish heroes.

Dungannon GAA club in Tyrone are named after him as well!

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Well up here we learn about WWII and WWI and the battle of hastings, Have yet to learn about irish history so unfortunitly I didnt know who he was. Im ashamed! Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_sad
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm

redhandman wrote:i said very nearly the first man to win an all ireland on his own. i didnt say he did i said he nearly did. i also said that had either one of the other two names mentioned had have been fit to start we would have won that allireland.

Did he score from play in 95 final..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm

redhandman wrote:pick any game canavan played from 1994 to 2000 he carried the whole county on his back at that time andwas vary nearly the first man to win an allireland on his own. if he only had cush half fit we would have won , or paul donnelly picked to start C redmond wouldnt have acted the b0llix with baldie paulie about.

Paul Donnelly? Is that the man who man a legend out of "WEE" James Mccartan?

Absolutely useless footballer and his impersonation of a "hard man" wasn't going to win many Oscars. I remember the 1993 Sigerson final as Big Anthony swatted him like a fly.

Now Cush, as O'Dwyer said, a marvellous player.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Bermuda_Bomber Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Not the greatest ever, but special mention to Jody Devine for his cameo in the first replay with Kildare in '98! I think it was 6 from play he got in extra time!
Bermuda_Bomber
Bermuda_Bomber
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Meath
Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 pm

devine,that was the one i was trying to think of,unbelievable performance for a sub.just scored point after point after point.a few long distance points aswell if i remember correctly.
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Unfortunetely it was just the four he got!

Jody's performance that day often overshadows Trevor Giles masterclass in the same game. I think it was 2-08 he got over the course of the 100 minutes, arguably his best day in the green and gold!

Geraghty had a great game in the 1996 semi-final too, it was hard to fathom how he never got an AllStar that year.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 pm

The performance given by Offaly's Willie Bryan in the replayed final of 1972 is up there with the best of them....On a day of driving rain and gusting winds, I fail to recall as much as one catch by the legendary O'Connell who was completely eclipsed by Bryan on ther day....Offaly 1-19 Kerry 0-13....No "flash in the pan" job either...Bryan was a good one... Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_king
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Empty Greatest Footballing performance of all time?

Post  AdamG Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I have to say,Dessie Dolan produced a masterclass against Meath a couple of years ago.Single-handedly kept Westmeath in the game only to miss a last minute free in injury time that would have won the game.
AdamG
AdamG
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo
Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 pm

ive always been told that stephen king nearly beat donegal on his own in 92,maybe rua can clear this up?or RM of course
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Dougal wrote:ive always been told that stephen king nearly beat donegal on his own in 92,maybe rua can clear this up?or RM of course

He had a great game the first day out. He roasted Molloy who incidentally rated him as the toughest player he ever played against.

Must dig out a quote from that game actually Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_twisted
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Tommy Ryan after being punched by Philip Smith in the replay against Cavan in 1992

"I told the man that hit me that the difference between Donegal men and Cavan men was when Donegal men hit, men stayed down but when Cavan men hit, we wouldn't go down"

Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_twisted Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_twisted
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 pm

RMDrive wrote:Tommy Ryan after being punched by Philip Smith in the replay against Cavan in 1992

"I told the man that hit me that the difference between Donegal men and Cavan men was when Donegal men hit, men stayed down but when Cavan men hit, we wouldn't go down"

Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_twisted Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_twisted

jaysis,philip smith is some legend,still playing senior football last year,and wouldnt surprise if he played this year aswell.would love to see that match.

good quote.
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 pm

I will always remember Peter Canavan's performance in the '94 Ulster semi-final against Donegal at Breffni park. It was an awful wet day and there were bad tailbacks at Wattlebridge on the border which caused many to be late for the game but I feel that this was the game that really helped Canavan announce himself on to the championship scene and for alot of us Tyronies it was cause for serious optimism. Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_cheers

That day will unfortunately also be remebered as the day that Martin McHugh kicked his last ball for Donegal Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_neutral
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm

redhandman wrote:i said very nearly the first man to win an all ireland on his own. i didnt say he did i said he nearly did. i also said that had either one of the other two names mentioned had have been fit to start we would have won that allireland.

Think someones in a bad mood! How about you take a look at you own post and spot the irony of what you wrote before coming on here and being a grumpy fecker.

If you can't take a bit of "smartarse" comments, might i suggest you proof read your posts so no-one can make any kind of "smartarse" reply.

Irony (Ir-on-y) -
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

bald eagle wrote:

Irony (Ir-on-y) -
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning

Is it not just like goldy and silvery, only it's made out of iron? Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_scratch
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Perfect B&W!! Top marks for you!! Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_lol

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The performance given by Offaly's Willie Bryan in the replayed final of 1972 is up there with the best of them....On a day of driving rain and gusting winds, I fail to recall as much as one catch by the legendary O'Connell who was completely eclipsed by Bryan on ther day....Offaly 1-19 Kerry 0-13....No "flash in the pan" job either...Bryan was a good one... Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_king

You must have the wrong day. I was there and it was a beautifully sunny day. Willie did have a great game but Micko also, at the end of his career had a very good game although he got married on the previous day. Greatest footballing performance of all time? - Page 2 Icon_cyclops
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next