GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest footballing performance of all time?

+15
Dougal
Bermuda_Bomber
up.the.oak.trees
black&white
redhandman
patrique
Sawyer
bocerty
clash-of-da-ash
bald eagle
Thomas Clarke
Real Kerry Fan
mossbags
mullins
Loyal2TheRoyal
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? Empty Greatest footballing performance of all time?

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 pm

The likes of Mick O'Connell, Sean Purcell, Jack O'Shea, Peter Canavan and Ciaran McDonald are widely regarded as the games' greatest Gaelic Footballers.

But I've often wondered what player has produced the best individual display of football over the course of seventy minutes in a single game. There a few obvious candidates, Frank McGuigan in the 1984 Ulster Final, Peter Canavan in the 1995 All-Ireland Final, Maurice Fitzgerald in the 1997 All-Ireland Final. In a way, these were the defining moments of these players' careers. So if you were to pick one man from every Man of the Match there's ever been, who would it be?

As with a lot of these type of discussions, backs rarely get a mention and I don't expect them too get many mentions here either. But if there are any, fire away.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? Empty Re: Greatest footballing performance of all time?

Post  mullins Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:The likes of Mick O'Connell, Sean Purcell, Jack O'Shea, Peter Canavan and Ciaran McDonald are widely regarded as the games' greatest Gaelic Footballers.

But I've often wondered what player has produced the best individual display of football over the course of seventy minutes in a single game. There a few obvious candidates, Frank McGuigan in the 1984 Ulster Final, Peter Canavan in the 1995 All-Ireland Final, Maurice Fitzgerald in the 1997 All-Ireland Final. In a way, these were the defining moments of these players' careers. So if you were to pick one man from every Man of the Match there's ever been, who would it be?

As with a lot of these type of discussions, backs rarely get a mention and I don't expect them too get many mentions here either. But if there are any, fire away.

Loyal thats a myth canavan 95- couldn't put him in there what did he score from play..

Its tough to pick 1 for 70 mins.
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Greatest footballing performance of all time? Empty Re: Greatest footballing performance of all time?

Post  mossbags Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Paraic Joyce 2001 All-Ireland Final
Greatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? Pint
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 pm

mossbags wrote:Paraic Joyce 2001 All-Ireland Final
Greatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? Pint

Think loyal said 70 mins Greatest footballing performance of all time? Icon_cool
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:26 pm

I thought you'd give him a mention. As good and all as he was that day, I think his overall performance is a small bit over-rated.

It must be said that whilst marking Darren Fay, he scored one point from a free and as a whole, played quite poorly in the first half. When switched to the corner for the second half, he went on fire against an under-par Mark O'Reilly. It was a tactically astute move from O'Mahony knowing that Fay would never leave the edge of the square.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Greatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? Apploud[url=http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?app=forums&module=post§ion=[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]post&do=reply_post&f=7&t=9824&qpid=315996#]Greatest footballing performance of all time? Pint[/url]

I thought you'd give him a mention. As good and all as he was that day, I think his overall performance is a small bit over-rated.

It must be said that whilst marking Darren Fay, he scored one point from a free and as a whole, played quite poorly in the first half. When switched to the corner for the second half, he went on fire against an under-par Mark O'Reilly. It was a tactically astute move from O'Mahony knowing that Fay would never leave the edge of the square.

The devil is in the details loyal, as I explained to you the last time we debated this over a year ago. On the other hand the truth never lies

All-Ireland Final 2001
Good Guys 0-17 Meath 0-8
Paraic Joyce 0-10,
God is good
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Graham Geraghty 1996 All Ireland Semi-Final Smile Unreal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 pm

AnMhí7 wrote:Graham Geraghty 1996 All Ireland Semi-Final Smile Unreal.

Touchy subject on this forum RoyalGirl.

Who stood on who's head?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
AnMhí7 wrote:Graham Geraghty 1996 All Ireland Semi-Final Smile Unreal.

Touchy subject on this forum RoyalGirl.

Who stood on who's head?

Think Big John may have lightly touched Brian Dooher's head with his boot and Dooher just made a big deal out of it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:44 pm

mossbags wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Greatest footballing performance of all time? ApploudGreatest footballing performance of all time? Apploud[url=http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?app=forums&module=post§ion=[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]post&do=reply_post&f=7&t=9824&qpid=315996#]Greatest footballing performance of all time? Pint[/url]

The devil is in the details loyal, as I explained to you the last time we debated this over a year ago. On the other hand the truth never lies

All-Ireland Final 2001
Good Guys 0-17 Meath 0-8
Paraic Joyce 0-10,
God is good

Bit childish moss bags loyal asked for 70 mins not 35... Greatest footballing performance of all time? Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Loyal will take what he gets round here young 'un, don't you be worrying about it.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:53 pm

mossbags wrote:Loyal will take what he gets round here young 'un, don't you be worrying about it.

i ain't worried Greatest footballing performance of all time? Icon_eek
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Greatest footballing performance of all time? 654413

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 am

Maurice Fitz 1997 final v Mayo. sheer class. Greatest footballing performance of all time? Icon_queen
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am

mullins wrote: "Loyal thats a myth canavan 95- couldn't put him in there what did he score from play...

I'd agree with that Mullins. Canavan kicked his frees brilliantly that way (many won due to fouls on himself), but Tyrone had so little possession in midifield Dublin were able to smother him and he wasn't able to get on the ball as much in open play. His performance in destroying Derry's Keiran McKeever in the Ulster Semi-final that year was much better. Would side with Loyal on the Joyce issue, that it was as much O'Mahony outfoxing Boylan as anything, as Fay had him very well shackled in the first half.

Best I have seen live would be Pat Spillane '86 v Tyrone. Maurice Fitzgerald '97 v Mayo. Frank McGuigan v Armagh in '84, and his son v Kerry in 2005. Would also throw in Mickey Linden v Derry in 1994, as the perfect example of corner forward play. Best 20 minutes would be Colm O'Rourke's cameo in the 1991 All-Ireland final.

Best defensive performaces that I've seen live would be McGeeney v Kerry in 2002, or Martin O'Connell v Cork in 1988 replay.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 am

Best
Frank McGuigan 1984

Best in an AI final
Shay Fahy 1990

Best on a losing team in an AI final
Bernard Flynn 1991

Best Donegal Performances

Tommy Ryan Ulster final 1992
Colm Anthony McFadden v Tyrone 2004

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am

Enda Gormley in the 93 All Ireland, not 70 mins but definately a brilliant 50 odd, thanks to Niall Cahalan!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm often told about Jimmy Barry in 73' against Galway.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm

The best performances i have seen would be:

Stephen Oneill against Armagh in 2005 Ulster final (10 points)

Oisin McConville against Kerry in 2000 semi final (1-9, 1-6 from play of Moynihan)

Oisin against Down in 1999 ulster final. (2-7, a record that still stands)

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Eugene Mc Kenna All Ireland s/f v Galway 1986
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sawyer Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 pm

One of the best I've seen in the flesh was the Gooch against Mayo in the '04 final. That goal he scored was absolutely brilliant.
Sawyer
Sawyer
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Ger Cavlan. 1996 all Ireland semi final.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:26 am

patrique wrote:Ger Cavlan. 1996 all Ireland semi final.

I was going to include that one Patrique, but felt I may have been biased. An outstanding performance by a 20 year old on a side that was being completely outplayed and out-hit.

Enda McManus lashed out and kicked him from behind (off-the-ball) after about 60 minutes, and Cavlan struggled with injuries for a long time after that, but his point scoring was awesome for the first hour.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 am

Surely this has to go to Patrique? GTs greatest ever player and a legend of the GAA.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm

pick any game canavan played from 1994 to 2000 he carried the whole county on his back at that time andwas vary nearly the first man to win an allireland on his own. if he only had cush half fit we would have won , or paul donnelly picked to start C redmond wouldnt have acted the b0llix with baldie paulie about.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next