GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emigration

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Emigration Empty Emigration

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 pm

Was having a quick scan of the the regional newspaper earlier today and had flick through the classifieds
Where once we had people offering landscaping, decking, electric gates and all the other celtic tiger dreams I saw an add saying

Digs available in Yonkers (phone number etc etc.)
Brings home the times we live to some extent and had a flashback to those reelings in the years clips of some poor sod in the 80's with a leather jacket and a mullet getting on the CIE bus/B&I boat to Holyhead and onwards.
Tough times for the young but in particular those without a qualification

Back to top Go down

Emigration Empty Re: Emigration

Post  mullins Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Ruanua wrote:Was having a quick scan of the the regional newspaper earlier today and had flick through the classifieds
Where once we had people offering landscaping, decking, electric gates and all the other celtic tiger dreams I saw an add saying

Brings home the times we live to some extent and had a flashback to those reelings in the years clips of some poor sod in the 80's with a leather jacket and a mullet getting on the CIE bus/B&I boat to Holyhead and onwards.

Ruanua tough times ahead very sad really personally im to old to travel anymore so i have to grin and bear it..Ruanua what qualification do u speak off most of our young people have good qualifications now ..Maybe not job experience- but im sure our loss will be others gain Unfortunately
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:47 pm

mullins wrote:
Ruanua wrote:Was having a quick scan of the the regional newspaper earlier today and had flick through the classifieds

Ruanua tough times ahead very sad really personally im to old to travel anymore so i have to grin and bear it..Ruanua what qualification do u speak off most of our young people have good qualifications now ..Maybe not job experience- but im sure our loss will be others gain Unfortunately
Disagree mullins lot of youngsters that NOW would be in there 20's and even early 30's left behind a education to work on building sites where there was easy quick money. you would be surprised how many don't have trade papers or served there time due to the fact of short term greed instead of long term stability (funny word to use in these times)
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Come next September I suppose I'll be emigrating in a way to do my postgrad because its too fookin expensive here. The UK or Holland seem the most likely destinations.

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Sebastian wrote:Come next September I suppose I'll be emigrating in a way to do my postgrad because its too fookin expensive here. The UK or Holland seem the most likely destinations.

Seb if i was going to emigrate i would avoid the UK..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:33 pm

mullins wrote:
Sebastian wrote:Come next September I suppose I'll be emigrating in a way to do my postgrad because its too fookin expensive here. The UK or Holland seem the most likely destinations.

Year end bonuses are being paid last month or else this month and then there are a huge amount of people handing in their cards and moving on for better money. Reminded me of dublin back in the late 90's.

And if the investment bankers are happy then thats good for the rest of the economy.

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Ruanua wrote:
mullins wrote:

Year end bonuses are being paid last month or else this month and then there are a huge amount of people handing in their cards and moving on for better money. Reminded me of dublin back in the late 90's.

And if the investment bankers are happy then thats good for the rest of the economy.

Have they rebuilt it
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Ruanua wrote:
mullins wrote:

needless to say the events of the past 2 years wil all have been forgotten and greed will soon be the number 1 trait again - alas in another 10-15 years we'll probably be in the same mess again only worse affraid affraid affraid affraid
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Came out of the local shop the other night and the owner's young fella - mid 20s and a sound bloke - was just getting out of his new purchase ..... a lovely 08 Beemer. He works in the financial services industry ............ Emigration Icon_scratch
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Came out of the local shop the other night and the owner's young fella - mid 20s and a sound bloke - was just getting out of his new purchase ..... a lovely 08 Beemer. He works in the financial services industry ............ Emigration Icon_scratch

jayo no problem getting it but whos paying for it- maybe you are with your visit to the shop Emigration Icon_lol
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:13 am

Rua - I would be more concerned about losing R&D type graduates than financial heads. We have a good financial sector here but it is a transient business. The future is research and high end technology type industries. We need to keep that type of qualification here more than the finance heads.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Rua - I would be more concerned about losing R&D type graduates than financial heads. We have a good financial sector here but it is a transient business. The future is research and high end technology type industries. We need to keep that type of qualification here more than the finance heads.

Agreee 100%. Was only using finance as an example that the British have dusted themselves down and are moving on. There would be no jobs in finanace if people with real jobs were'nt making, designing, building or selling something. All us accountants are doing is keeping the score.

Anything that involves a high level of unskilled labour cost is long gone to Asia and that includes IT jobs where the input is mainly assembly so we need to focus on sectors where its intellectual input creates value - Pharma being the best example.
If we have the graduates with the ability and can maintain the tax advantage then we have a fighting chance. Not everyone will get a science degree but if we are creating the jobs then someone needs to build the factories etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:54 pm

about ten lads have left my club in the last month very sad Emigration Icon_cry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 pm

hipster wrote:about ten lads have left my club in the last month very sad Emigration Icon_cry

Much the same story here Hipster and ten is a big number for a club our size
Another club in North East Donegal - Termon have been bit very hard in fact their best players now make up the backbone of Tir Chonnail gaels. As the saying goes its an ill wind.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 pm

tonight at training two lads said that they are heading off soon , its bad in dublin it has to be really f...ed every where else

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 pm

its one of the biggest challenges facing the GAA - never mind the fecking Aussie rules we are losing more players to lack of work.

I note that two Down players Martin Clarke being one of them have been fortunate enough to have a job created and funded by wealthy backers both are employed as GAA coaches, taking the total to 3 as Benny Coulter is already int he same boat.

Its a win win situation for Down their best players are able to stay put and the kids are getting a decent level of coaching.

The question is, is there not more the GAA could be doing to help these guys????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 pm

bocerty wrote:its one of the biggest challenges facing the GAA - never mind the fecking Aussie rules we are losing more players to lack of work.

I note that two Down players Martin Clarke being one of them have been fortunate enough to have a job created and funded by wealthy backers both are employed as GAA coaches, taking the total to 3 as Benny Coulter is already int he same boat.

Its a win win situation for Down their best players are able to stay put and the kids are getting a decent level of coaching.

The question is, is there not more the GAA could be doing to help these guys????

bocerty i think its great the Gaa are giving players jobs as coaches- and the children will benefit in the long run, which can only be good news for the Gaa..I don't think the Gaa can do anything to help young club players- that have to immigrate its just a sad state of affairs..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 pm

hipster wrote:tonight at training two lads said that they are heading off soon , its bad in dublin it has to be really f...ed every where else

Back in the early 80s when things were really tough there were 20 of us out training one night. One of the lads said "I'm off soon" which started a domino effect of 18 other lads saying the exact same. I asked 'Jeeze lads where are yis all going?' ... 'Home' sez they 'trainings over.'
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:its one of the biggest challenges facing the GAA - never mind the fecking Aussie rules we are losing more players to lack of work.

bocerty i think its great the Gaa are giving players jobs as coaches- and the children will benefit in the long run, which can only be good news for the Gaa..I don't think the Gaa can do anything to help young club players- that have to immigrate its just a sad state of affairs..

Mullins - i dont think the arrangement has anything to do with the GAA as such - its a few shrewd men within the county who have come up with this as far as i know and they've been fortunate enough to find a few men willing to fund it -
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm

new stadia new club facilities and more coaches

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm

most clubs in dublin have GPOs now and this should be spread across every club in ireland

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm

hipster wrote:most clubs in dublin have GPOs now and this should be spread across every club in ireland

we already have post offices up here no need for one at the local football club too
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 pm

bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:

Mullins - i dont think the arrangement has anything to do with the GAA as such - its a few shrewd men within the county who have come up with this as far as i know and they've been fortunate enough to find a few men willing to fund it -

bocerty what will these wealthy people have to gain from this- they do nothing for nothing..I've often heard of clubs getting players jobs but they usally worked for a company these people own
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

mullins wrote:
bocerty wrote:
mullins wrote:

bocerty what will these wealthy people have to gain from this- they do nothing for nothing..I've often heard of clubs getting players jobs but they usally worked for a company these people own

i ask myself the same question Mullins but i dont know the answer
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm

ha ha but games promotional officers promote our games in schools and also improve the standard of coaching in the club by promoting courses for managers and coaches

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next