GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaelic County teams 2010

+12
magpie11
johnnos bulls
Grenvile
Shinners
mossbags
Swinford2009
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
Loyal2TheRoyal
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gaelic County teams 2010 Empty Gaelic County teams 2010

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Please post what you think will be your county team for the first round of the championship. Include short-term injuries if you like and players who might have fallen out of flavour with management, basically the team you think is the best available at championship time! Clubs of players is also good. I'll go first:

Paddy O'Rourke (Skyrne)

Cormac McGill (Donaghmore/Ashbourne)
Kevin Reilly (Navan O'Mahonys)
Eoin Harrington (Wolfe Tones)

Seamus Kenny (Simonstown)
Cormac McGuinnes (Navan O'Mahonys)
Graham Reilly (St. Colmicilles)

Nigel Crawford (Dunboyne)
Joe Sheridan (Senchalstown)

Shane O'Rourke (Simonstown)
Stephen Bray (Navan O'Mahonys)
Peader Byrne (Ballinlough)

David Bray (Navan O'Mahonys)
Brian Sheridan (Senchalstown)
Cian Ward (Wolfe Tones)

Now EOB has a funny policy, I haven't really got my head around it but I doubt Joe for example will be midfield or McGill will be corner back but they would in my team. Peader wouldn't be in my team either but it appears he is captain for the year so I'm forced to include him.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Gaelic County teams 2010 Empty Re: Gaelic County teams 2010

Post  mullins Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Stephen Cluxton (Parnells)

Paul Griffin (Kilmacud Crokes)
Philip Mc Mahon (Ballymun)
Alan Hubbard (Ballymun)

Barry Cahill (St Brigids)
Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
Paul Brogan (St Oliver Plunketts)

Ciaran Whealan (Raheny)
Eamon Fennel (O'tooles)

Kevin McManamon (St Judes)
Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunketts)
Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincents)

Dean Kelly (Trinity Gaels)
Conal Keaney (Bally Boden)
Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunketts)

I would like to see a team with plenty changes from last year,its time to freshen things up.I could pick another team equal to this for the championship but i guess thats the problem with Dublin football we have so many players of the one stantard just don't have enough top quality players at the moment..Thats not saying if we build up a head of steam- it will take a good team to beat us as always...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Dean Kelly was very good tonight Mullins.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Dean Kelly was very good tonight Mullins.

Loyal that young lad will put pressure on players who think they own the jersey.Well done tonight was very impressed with Meath on sunday...What did you think of the game tonight..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Good game. Serious crowd, I've seen less in Navan for qualifier matches. Davy Dalton (son of the great Kildare full-back) was MOTM, Bernard Brogan was reduced to nothing by him. I can't comment on Brogan's fitness or motivation but he is in the Summerhill man's pocket tonight.

Lot of new faces there for Dublin, Meath probably had the more experienced side. Dublin were shocking in the first half, very lacklustre. But in the second half, they had more of an edge about them and took the game to Meath. Young Kelly ran throw a few times menacingly, he was at the heart of a lot of Dublin scores. Fennell got some point too. The Donegal head Bonner was lucky to stay on the field after tripping up a Meath player.

Meath deserved the win on the balance of things, there was a let up in the first fifteen minutes of the second half but they regained composure and pushed on. Queeney was immense again, an awful lot of football in him for such a big man.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Good game. Serious crowd, I've seen less in Navan for qualifier matches. Davy Dalton (son of the great Kildare full-back) was MOTM, Bernard Brogan was reduced to nothing by him. I can't comment on Brogan's fitness or motivation but he is in the Summerhill man's pocket tonight.

Lot of new faces there for Dublin, Meath probably had the more experienced side. Dublin were shocking in the first half, very lacklustre. But in the second half, they had more of an edge about them and took the game to Meath. Young Kelly ran throw a few times menacingly, he was at the heart of a lot of Dublin scores. Fennell got some point too. The Donegal head Bonner was lucky to stay on the field after tripping up a Meath player.

Meath deserved the win on the balance of things, there was a let up in the first fifteen minutes of the second half but they regained composure and pushed on. Queeney was immense again, an awful lot of football in him for such a big man.

Meath are a very big side and will take a bit of stopping this year i was impressed with Queeney on sunday to..As for brogan its to early in the year to be rating him..Good to see a big crowd again- sundays crowd was big aswell..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 am

Somebody told me its 21 years since the Dubs played in Navan!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Somebody told me its 21 years since the Dubs played in Navan!

Hard to believe it was so long..didn't go last night thought id wait till we play them again in navan.. Gaelic County teams 2010 Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am

Of the 2 teams up there, Meath look stronger, although I'm not sure about Sheridan at midfield on Loyal's selection? Big and skillful, but he always struck me as very lazy, and I'd say most midfielders in the top sides would run him into the ground. Aside from that though, a good looking side, with scoring power up front. No place for Moyles though?

Leinster looks very competitive this year, with 3 genuine contenders, and a few others who could make things very interesting on their day. Probably the hardest province to call this year.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:42 am

I think Kildare will beat Dublin in the Leinster Final for sure. Unless Dublin decide to exit Leinster earlier .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am

Kildare made big strides last year, although 2 things would worry me about their prospects for this season.

Firstly, can Dermot Earley be as good as he was last year? The man is the wrong side of 30, and has a history of bad injuries. He carried Kildare on his own last year, and they will need him to be just as good again in 2010.

The other concern would be Paul Grimley's departure. As he was a big name player, McGeeney got all the praise for last season's championship run, but Grimley is an excellent coach, and I think it is no coincidence that Armagh's decline began after Kernan got rid of him. Will be interesting to see how McGeeney gets on on without him this year.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Of the 2 teams up there, Meath look stronger, although I'm not sure about Sheridan at midfield on Loyal's selection? Big and skillful, but he always struck me as very lazy, and I'd say most midfielders in the top sides would run him into the ground. Aside from that though, a good looking side, with scoring power up front. No place for Moyles though?

Leinster looks very competitive this year, with 3 genuine contenders, and a few others who could make things very interesting on their day. Probably the hardest province to call this year.

Moyles is a victim of his own versatility! Jack of all trades, master of none. I get the feeling EOB will be reluctant to drop him but you can't make up a sixteenth position for the man either.

Joe was midfield for Seneschalstown this year and done trojan stuff. Box to box running. His tackling has also come a great deal. Plus the likes of Crawford/Meade/Wardy can't give him a pass like Joe can. EOB is insisting on these high balls into the FF line but we don't have the players to deliver the ball. Joe can, particularly if he was passing them into his brother Brian, telepathic like understanding between the two of 'em. After last night though, I'd say Queeney is in pole position to be starting FF. I don't think I gave him the credit he deserved before last night's game but now I will.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am

Agree re Grimley TC but Geezer has put a bit of steel in Kildare - which they haven't had for a number of years. I'd say the spirit in the whole county is up and fellas can see the improvements and will now go the extra mile.

I don't think Earley carried them tbh - they have a number of good players - Sweeney, Smith, O'Neill - the superb Johnny Doyle - who is captain this year I think. And then there is one player who stood out for me last year - James Kavanagh. Rate him very highly and I think he will only get better.

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:22 am

Loyal - I can see the logic behind having Sheridan out the field, and don't doubt he would be excellent there for 60 minutes at club level, but I just don't think he has it in him to be a top inter-county midfielder. I would say time will tell, but i don't think it will, as I can't see EOB playing him there in the summer.

Jayo - I agee that Kildare have a lot of good players, but I still think that they rely hugely on Earley. He was the best midfielder in Ireland last year (by a mile), and it was only when he tired in games (like against Dublin & Tyrone) that Kildare fell behind. As for Johnny Doyle, I always thought of him as one of those who will play well when others around him are playing well, and usually vanish when they aren't.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Disaffection is growing with the current management set-up as our year stutters into life.
Given a month of rain and a month of frost the signs were ominous but it will be all relative in the Hyde on June 20 when the reins of power have been wrested from these chancers by a Boxty led consortium who will field as follows:

1. Enda Lyons (Carrigallen).

2. Mick McGuinness (Mohill).
3. John McKeon (Drumreilly).
4. Barry Prior (Aughawillian).

5. Daniel Beck (Mohill).
6. Pat Gilmartin (Glencar-Manor).
7. Shane Foley (Kiltubrid).

8. Shane Canning (Tír Chonall Gaels).
9. Noel Doonan (Carrigallen).

10. Philip McGuinness (Mohill).
11. Tómas Beirne (Eslin).
12. Emlyn Mulligan (Melvin Gaels).

13. David O'Connor (Bornacoola).
14. Declan Maxwell (Drumreilly).
15. James Glancy (Glencar-Manor)..

In the frame are Mickey Duignan (issues with current Mgt.), Colin Regan, Colm Clarke, Wayne McKeon, James Holohan and Dermot Reynolds....Unless an absolute springer jumps from the pack Gaelic County teams 2010 Suspect 13 of these 15 should start...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Good to see sporting ecumenism in operation here with a sprinkling of Mohillians (great book that 'The Last of the Mohillians'). Methinks the Boxster will not be a popular man in Fenagh with no token presence from the home village though I suspect a hint of nepotism in the selection.

I know little of these lads but the keeper has a smashing name for a keeper - Enda Lyons - for it is indeed. Two Guinnesses (Mc) and a Becks makes it look like a Donegal outfit Gaelic County teams 2010 Icon_razz . I wonder has Barry any Prior and I hope Noel knows what he's Doonan.

Alas I fear the Kernan juggernaut will roll through Hyde and leave as much life in Leitrim's championship challenge as there is in the adjoining graveyard.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 pm

you mean another "ghost estate"
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Good to see sporting ecumenism in operation here with a sprinkling of Mohillians (great book that 'The Last of the Mohillians'). Methinks the Boxster will not be a popular man in Fenagh with no token presence from the home village though I suspect a hint of nepotism in the selection.

I know little of these lads but the keeper has a smashing name for a keeper - Enda Lyons - for it is indeed. Two Guinnesses (Mc) and a Becks makes it look like a Donegal outfit Gaelic County teams 2010 Icon_razz . I wonder has Barry any Prior and I hope Noel knows what he's Doonan.

Alas I fear the Kernan juggernaut will roll through Hyde and leave as much life in Leitrim's championship challenge as there is in the adjoining graveyard.

The Kernan juggernaut will be derailed in Castlebar in the C/F please God.
Fenagh's last countyman was Ciáran Duignan about 5 years ago (co-inciding with our decline) and I'll say nothing on the final issue except that, on all known form when in top form, only John McKeon would be selected ahead of him..... Gaelic County teams 2010 Icon_biggrin
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Apologies Boxty - I misread - of course its the Rossies ye play - London allowing!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:43 am

David Clarke (Ballina)

Liam O'Malley (Burrishoole)
Ger Cafferky (Ballina)
Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)

Peader Gardiner (Crossmolina)
Trevor Howley (Knockmore)
Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)

Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
Ronan McGarrity (Ballina)

Pat Harte (Ballina)
Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
Trevor Mortimor (Shrule-Glencorrib)

Conor Mortimor (Shrule-Glencorrib)
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
Mark Ronaldson (Shrule-Glencorrib)

Its not too different from the team which played the first league game against Galway but id say that will be the Mayo team who plays the first championship game in May
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Swinners, what is the story with Tom Parsons? Looked a good prospect 2 years ago, but didn't make the side last summer and you don't expect him to make it this summer either. Loss of form? Attitude? Just lack of progression?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Swinners, what is the story with Tom Parsons? Looked a good prospect 2 years ago, but didn't make the side last summer and you don't expect him to make it this summer either. Loss of form? Attitude? Just lack of progression?

He was on the bench for the Connacht Final last year and started against us on Sunday, scored a point too if memory serves. In fact he was all set to start the Connacht Final last year until MacGarrity's last minute 'miraculous' recovery from a broken jaw sustained only a week beforehand. Nothing wrong with him as far as I can see. In fact I'd happily swap him for Barry Cullinane any day of the week if Swinny can arrange it Gaelic County teams 2010 Icon_lol
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:23 pm

My Preferred Team for Longford 2010:

Stephen Watters - Clonguish

Noel Farrell - Colmcille
Diarmuid Masterson - Dromard
Seamus Hannon - Mostrim

Dermot Brady - Longford Slashers
Enda Williams - Clonguish
Arthur O'Connor - Abbeylara

Kevin Smith - Cashel
Bernard McElvaney -

Danny Keenan - St Patricks
Paul Barden - Clonguish
Francis McGee - Dromard

David Barden - Clonguish
Brian Kavanagh - Kilmacud Crokes
James Martin - Dromard or Stephen Phillips - Longford Slashers

Berry and Dowd will be a huge loss. Can't see them getting out of Division 4 and can't see them upsetting Louth in the Championship either.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Mr Ryan.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

No room for Cian Mimnagh Shinners?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 pm

1. Gareth Phelan(Melvin Gaels)

2.Michael mcGuinness(Mohill)
3.john McKeon(Drumreilly)
4.Dermot reynolds(St.Marys)

5.Colin Regan(Melvin Gaels)
6.Shane Foley(Kiltubrid)
7.Gary Reynolds(Carrigallen)

8.Shane Canning(Mohill)
9.Tomas Beirne(Eslin)

10.Wayne McKeon(Sean O'Heslins)
11.Eamonn Mulligan(Melvin Gaels)
12.Philly McGuinness(Mohill)

13.David O'Connor(Bornacoola)
14.Declan Maxwell(Drumreilly)
15.James glancy(Glencar manor)

Team that will start june 20th won't resemble anything like that i'd say.
Boxty-Gilmartin is away for the year and I think Doonan may be in london for the year.
Rumours of Mick Mcguinness not playing this year and looks like foley won't figure again this year either.
Beck, Prior shouldn't be let near the team imo.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next