GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arranged marriages in Donegal

4 posters

Go down

Arranged marriages in Donegal Empty Arranged marriages in Donegal

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 pm

I see the Gardaí put the kibosh on an arranged marriage in Letterkenny on Thursday next. I though this practice was mostly in Muslim countries and hadn't realised it goes on in Donegal. So Rua - you married? Or are you waiting for your folks to bring some girl home for ye to marry - sometimes its a 'distant' relation?

I know RMD is married. Did ye meet her before the church RM? Does it go by how many sheep, goats etc her folks have?

Suppose your folks had picked your 'life partner' for you and say a while later you went up to Dublin fro example to see Donegal getting hammered by Cork - and met a grand Jackeen lass in McGraths when drowning your sorrows - would you have any chance of reversing the arrangement or would your parents freeze you out of the family? Would you be excommunicated for going outside the 'Donegal' gene pool and selecting a sophisticated and Westernised Dublin girl?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Arranged marriages in Donegal Empty Re: Arranged marriages in Donegal

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Remember the episode of the simpsons ... almost 10% of arranged marriages end in divorse!!*

*something lie that anyway.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I see the Gardaí put the kibosh on an arranged marriage in Letterkenny on Thursday next. I though this practice was mostly in Muslim countries and hadn't realised it goes on in Donegal. So Rua - you married? Or are you waiting for your folks to bring some girl home for ye to marry - sometimes its a 'distant' relation?

I know RMD is married. Did ye meet her before the church RM? Does it go by how many sheep, goats etc her folks have?

Suppose your folks had picked your 'life partner' for you and say a while later you went up to Dublin fro example to see Donegal getting hammered by Cork - and met a grand Jackeen lass in McGraths when drowning your sorrows - would you have any chance of reversing the arrangement or would your parents freeze you out of the family? Would you be excommunicated for going outside the 'Donegal' gene pool and selecting a sophisticated and Westernised Dublin girl?

Wouldn't really call them arranged marriages. Its not like as if some bride you never saw before lands at the chapel in a yashmac. More hillbillie style - you get prodded up the aisle by Jethro McBride and his double barreled remington because you've put young Biddy (2nd Cousin) in the family way.

Though they have become a bit more worried about staying too close within the gene pool. Its OK for cousins to marry once they are fourteen but its frowned upon if they have the same genetic defect. ie If you're cross eyed its OK to marry a hunchback but best to stay away from fellow freakyeyes.

My Kin would be very sceptical about them there dublin lassies and she would be put through a fairly rigerous exam to make sure that she was'nt some harlitan trying to get her paws on the lower half acre and the plot rights on the hill (bog). She would be starting from the position that they would assume that if she was drinking in a pub unaccompanied and she was from dublin that more than likely she is a "PRO". so you might agree she was on the back foot.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:42 pm

I didn't know they had had marriage in the Republic.

I always thought they were all...............
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

RMDrive wrote:Remember the episode of the simpsons ... almost 100% of arranged marriages end in divorse!!*

*something lie that anyway.
Arranged marriages in Donegal Icon_cheers
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:29 pm

patrique wrote:I didn't know they had had marriage in the Republic.

I always thought they were all...............

Hey buster - tread warily ... you may look like Brando but remember what happened him in the vegetable garden - capiche? Arranged marriages in Donegal Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down