GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Dirty Players" of our time....

+7
patrique
johnnos bulls
mossbags
bocerty
KerryKatriona
3inarow08
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Dirty Players" of our time.... - Page 2 Empty Re: "Dirty Players" of our time....

Post  bocerty Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:47 pm

RMDrive wrote:
bocerty wrote:Canavan was dirty because he had to be - the abuse he took at times left him with no choice - it was a case of kill or be killed

If you had said he was "tough" cause he had to be then I might have believed you. I think a dirty player is a dirty player, not that someone is made into a dirty player.

[Although I think I have a different definition of a dirty player that some others on here. From my own sporting carreer I'd see a dirty player as someone who engages in stuff like the following ... spitting on an opponent, punches off the ball when your back is to them, flicking of the special area, stamping on your instep, pinching your nipples (calm down there Loyal) and stuff like that. Someone who was gobbing off in my ear for the game wouldn't really bother me but maybe that's just me.
A tough player IMO is someone who will never ever pull out of a challenge, someone who will put their head where you wouldn't put your foot, someone who will try to hurt you enough to put you off your game but do it in a way that's pretty much within the rules.]

at last someone who talks a bit of sense - why would anyone talking in your ear bother you during a game - i listened to plenty of that shite when i played and it never bothered me - if anything it made me more determined to play well. I have to say i wasn't aware of Canavan mouthing off during games but i do know one guy from our club who marked him during a championship match and when the game was over our man was covered in nip marks all over his stomach and back and i can assure you the lad in question wouldn't have said boo to a goose. Spitting was another of Canavans traits but as i said before any guy that spat at me (thankfully it never happened) would have been picking up broken teeth with broken fingers
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

"Dirty Players" of our time.... - Page 2 Empty Re: "Dirty Players" of our time....

Post  3inarow08 Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:29 pm

[quote="RMDrive"]
3inarow08 wrote:
Can you prove this allegation Triona? If not then I ask that you edit your post and remove it. I've heard this story and others many times however it's all hearsay.
As you can imagine we cannot let unfounded allegations appear on the site in case we get into bother for it.

RMD, nobody can "prove" hearsay. It has no standing in a court of law and can not be used in evidence.

But I can get the footballer that it was said to to verify that I am telling the truth and that Canavan has said the above things to him (and worse, but I won't and can't say them here) during a football game, if needed.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 pm

has anyone ever stopped to think of the level of abuse that Canavan - and in fact other top class footballers - have been subjected to during their playing career - how many times have you heard a a manager or team mate during a match talk about singling players out for special attention. Whether that be a punch or a mouthful of expletives it didnt matter the aim was to either do them an injury or pysche them out so that they would under perform.

Canavan was a special talent from a very young age and there is no doubt he was given abuse every game he played, club or county. So like any other scenario were someone is being 'bullied' the best form of revenge is to stand up to the aggressor and give them a touch of their own medicine. Now i am not saying everyone who marked Canavan conducted themselves in this way but i would say it happened so frequently that it became a way of life for him when he crossed the line, so his approach seemed to be i am more than likely going to get abuse so i am just gonna dish it out with a little extra on top for good measure.

Like RMD i dont see the big deal about guys talking in your ear during a match - FFS when was playing if i had a pound for every man that was supposed to have shagged my mother i'd be rich, i even had guys telling me about shagging my girlfriend when i didnt even have one!!!!!! If someone said these things to you in the street or in a pub they'd be unlikely to get away with it without a sore nose or a black eye and on the field would be no different - without doubt an opportunity would present itself were you'd get some form of revenge.

Incidentally i am no big fan of Canavan, and if BE says about is true (and i have reason to believe its not) then he has gone down even more in my estimation but the way i look at it if i was him getting that level of abuse then i would probably have resorted to the same 'tactics' as him.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:42 pm

johnnos bulls wrote:I think a few aughawillan lads could definitely be thrown into the hat.

There were more than "a few" villains in Aughawillian over the years, Flanagans (Pat, Gerry and Mickey the Minor) Quinns, Jerome being particularly notable and plenty of the Butty Priors. Declan Darcy's father was in initial Willies warrior and we had many a set-to.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 am

3inarow08 wrote:
samin10 wrote:
dont think Galvin is that dirty, nowhere near as bad as Darragh or Tomas OSe anyway.

I agree with you, I'd have Darragh in there, like I did in my first post on this thread.

Tomas has cleaned up his act and awful lot, when he first came onto the scene he was very hot headed, he's not anymore. But I wouldn't have called him dirty.

Cue Samin10 giving me numerous examples........ "Dirty Players" of our time.... - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

the one that stands out in my mind is him punching the head of a Cork fella on the ground in 2002 semi final. How he was not for suspended for final i'll never know. For the record Tomas in my opinion has been the player of the 00's. A legend

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 am

bocerty wrote:
RMDrive wrote:
bocerty wrote:Canavan was dirty because he had to be - the abuse he took at times left him with no choice - it was a case of kill or be killed

If you had said he was "tough" cause he had to be then I might have believed you. I think a dirty player is a dirty player, not that someone is made into a dirty player.

[Although I think I have a different definition of a dirty player that some others on here. From my own sporting carreer I'd see a dirty player as someone who engages in stuff like the following ... spitting on an opponent, punches off the ball when your back is to them, flicking of the special area, stamping on your instep, pinching your nipples (calm down there Loyal) and stuff like that. Someone who was gobbing off in my ear for the game wouldn't really bother me but maybe that's just me.
A tough player IMO is someone who will never ever pull out of a challenge, someone who will put their head where you wouldn't put your foot, someone who will try to hurt you enough to put you off your game but do it in a way that's pretty much within the rules.]

at last someone who talks a bit of sense - why would anyone talking in your ear bother you during a game - i listened to plenty of that shite when i played and it never bothered me - if anything it made me more determined to play well. I have to say i wasn't aware of Canavan mouthing off during games but i do know one guy from our club who marked him during a championship match and when the game was over our man was covered in nip marks all over his stomach and back and i can assure you the lad in question wouldn't have said boo to a goose. Spitting was another of Canavans traits but as i said before any guy that spat at me (thankfully it never happened) would have been picking up broken teeth with broken fingers

why would spitting rile you anymore than people slagging of your family? Neither are going to hurt you physically, in my opinion both are just meant to be insulting, degrading an attempt to get a reaction from the victim. For the record i hate both things but you seem to think one form of insulting people is ok.

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 am

samin10 wrote:
the one that stands out in my mind is him punching the head of a Cork fella on the ground in 2002 semi final. How he was not for suspended for final i'll never know. For the record Tomas in my opinion has been the player of the 00's. A legend

Aw Samin you're after giving me a warm fuzzy feeling in my chest! "Dirty Players" of our time.... - Page 2 Herz
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:07 pm

RMDrive wrote:We're talking about dirty players. Not hardmen.

Is that the Royal "we"?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:23 pm

patrique wrote:
RMDrive wrote:We're talking about dirty players. Not hardmen.

Is that the Royal "we"?

Naturally. I never use any other type.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:34 am

This whole thread is seriously ghay.
Ye all need to start askin yerselves some serious questions lads "Dirty Players" of our time.... - Page 2 Icon_arrow
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 am

The only Ghay in the village.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2