GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!!

5 posters

Go down

The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!! Empty The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!!

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:20 am

I see that Seamus McEnaney is again 'undecided' at taking Monaghan for another term, i don't know why but i'm getting sick of this rubbish everytime Monaghan get knocked out! The only time it hasn't went on was after his first year!!

I've been speaking to a few friends in Monaghan about it, they are big Banty fans and even they are getting fed up with him having to think about taking the job on for another year!

If this was one of the Monaghan players saying "i'm undecided" about playing for another year then they would be slated from hell to high heaven!!!

My view hasn't changed, he really hasn't the bottle for the pressures of inter-county management, either he wants to do it or he doesn't.......what's to think about? He's managing his county for Gods sake!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!! Empty Re: The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!!

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:27 pm

I think it is time for him to say goodbye, he is holding them back and they need someone new quick before they lose the talented squad they have.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!! Empty Re: The "Banty Show" Begins......again!!!

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:I think it is time for him to say goodbye, he is holding them back and they need someone new quick before they lose the talented squad they have.

I totally disagree about him holding them back. I think Banty and McElkennon have got just about everything out of that side that they can possibly get. In fact, I'd say they have over-achieved, given the raw material they have been working with.

I do, however, agree that it may be time for a change, although I don't think anyone else will do any better. For me, next year will see Monaghan on the slide, whoever is in charge.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 am

I think the holdup this time was due to Banty looking to see how the general feeling in Monaghan was about his situation, and whether he would be still wanted, whereas the last 2 years he had to recover before making a decision after heartbreaking defeats to Kerry(2007 in particular was crushing). Well it seems like he got a favoured reaction with Damien Freeman and county chairman John Connolly urging him to stay on.

Personally, I think a change is due. We owe alot to Banty, he came in at a time where we were among the worst in the country, and immediately gave us something rare to cheer about(very rare up here) when we won the Div 2 league and gained promotion, a big achievement for us at the time. He led us to a position where we are generally considered by most to be among the top 10 or so teams in the country, and can compete with the very best of them and always give a good account of ourselves. He's a man who lives and breathes GAA, and has put his whole life into the county team for the last 5 years, and in other years it was hard to stomach getting beat so narrowly, but as I say I think this year it's more a case of seeing if he's still wanted. It seems that he can have the job again if he wants it, and we'll not get another man as committed to the cause, but I think he knows himself he's took the team as far as he can and it will be interesting to see what he decides.

But the time has come for a freshing up, and this time it has to be more than just a backroom team adjustment. It would be sad to see him go, but I feel we need a new man in with new ideas which may re-invigorate the panel. Banty is a fantastic motivator, one of the best I've ever seen, but he isn't good enough tactically in my opinion. McElkennon coming in was a big addition, and the new fitness levels and energy in the team was seen straight away in 2007. But since then we haven't really progressed, and yes we have had awful hoors of qualifier draws but we still haven't improved on or even matched the 2007 season.

As I say, Banty has done a hell of alot for Monaghan and he deserves recognition for this, but we need a new face or two. Who that is, well that's another question and I'm racking my brains thinking of candidates. One thing I will say is though that I hope the whole thing is sorted quick and if Banty goes, then a new man is appointed soon so he can watch the championship for any potential new talent, and I do think there's better in the county than some that's on the panel. If Banty goes, it would be the end of Damien Freeman and possibly Dermot McArdle aswell. JP Mone is nearing 30 too but still fit as ever and a few more years yet should he commit. But apart from that there's a good few years left in the team and the core of the team is still only in their mid-20's, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with you TC that next year will see us on the slide. Maybe it will, but I don't see much evidence for it so far, we've been pretty much abysmal in Ulster the last 2 years so the only way is up in that respect! Should there be a new man in charge, it's crucial the right one is brought in to push us on, but as I say it could be anyone at this stage.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 am

its catch 22 for Monaghan - i think they need a fresh impetous from somewhere as Banty has taken that team as far as he can but the big problem is who replaces him, if that person isnt up to scratch then you risk taking backward steps which can take years to reverse.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down