GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stand-Alone provincial championships

3 posters

Go down

Stand-Alone provincial championships Empty Stand-Alone provincial championships

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

might seem like a ridiculous suggestion but what with all those wanting the All-Ireland set up to change to a 16-team 4 x group of 4 format, they may be an eventuallity when the provincial hurling championships would no longer work incorporated into the All-Ireland.

Now some (Antrim, Galway) may not be too concerned about this, but others, such as me, would be sad to see the end of the provincial championships, particularly Munster.

Would the provincial championships ever beable to work as stand-alone competitions whilst the All-Ireland moved into a revamped group-style format?

Don't know when these games would be played or how popular they would be when not part of The Championship but is it a possibility?

For me it would take away the essence of the summer championship but a new format may well be the way forward for the game.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Stand-Alone provincial championships Empty Re: Stand-Alone provincial championships

Post  JimWexford Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Sam, you have just nailed where the powers that be are going to make there next feck up. hopefully they won't leave it to long anf the provincal champs get shafted sideways like the railway cup.
The players want
1. railway cup (inter pros)
2. Provinical titles
3. All Irealand
4 National league
All other comps such as Walsh Cup, Kehoe Cup, Waterford Crystal etc are all treated as warm up games.

Powers that be need to recongise the importance of the above 4 (most people will argue 3) and pump promotional monies into them aka Tyrone V Dublin opening national football league why oh why have we not had a hurling match underlights (in one of the main competitions I have beenat plenty of club games).
If you had a Tipp v KK or Galway v KK opener in croker under lights it would draw just a big a crowd.
I agree with you and hope the don't do away with the toughest championship to win the O Keefee Cup.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Stand-Alone provincial championships Empty Re: Stand-Alone provincial championships

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I have to agree with your importance priority sceddule, however the provincials will never be done away with, they may be put to late spring ie Maybe the first games being easter weekend??

With The national league starting pre christmas (lets face it the weather never really changes here mite be warm or cold but thers always a 90% chance of rain.

The winners and finalists of Munster and Leinster could be seeded to ensure they dont go into the same group, this would give the provincials their standing. The league champs to could be given the same stance this would give the league a more comptetitive edge.

I think group stages is the way forward, however losing the provincials is not an option and they need to be included in the way ive said previously.

Im just glad this is being discussed!! Its about time!!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down