GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea the Stars

+8
RMDrive
Thomas Clarke
patrique
JimWexford
Jayo Cluxton
Boxtyeater
bocerty
mossbags
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sea the Stars - Page 2 Empty Re: Sea the Stars

Post  Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:04 am

Deep Sky is the Japanese horse. Probably not in STS's league but I like him. Almost won the Japan Cup last year.

Its the consistency and versatility of Sea The Stars that gets me, it wouldn't be that rare to see a performance that good really, New Approach in last year's English Champion Stakes for example, would rate very highly. But yesterday, STS looked better than ever and he's been on the go since May! And over such a variety of distances - that is what makes him so special.

He is the ultimate racehorse too, so relaxed, takes everything in his stride. Bounces out of the stalls like a six furlong Group One sprinter, travels so easy in his races and then at the end unleashes his devasting turn of foot. The only thing I will say is that his acceleration probably isn't instant (so maybe a slower pace is the way to get him beat?). And he comes through his races so well, four Group Ones preceeding yesterday and not a bother on him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Post your appreciation of the great animal here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Truly a magnificent animal.
Mind you Kinane is no slouch either. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_king Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_king
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:19 am

It will never get any better than this lads.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:42 am

Awesome race and occasion! Loyal - I admire your love of Irish horse racing. A great trainer and jockey - thorough gentlemen - and a fantastic race and what a horse - maybe the best ever. What a day! I was reminded of Charlie winning the Tour in 1987!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Great video here of the greatest Irish racehorse of all time:

Six Group Ones:

Newmarket - 2000 Guineas - 1m
Epsom Downs - Epsom Derby 1m 4f
Sandown - Coral Eclipse Stakes -1m 2f
York - Juddmonte International - 1m 2f
Leopardstown - Irish Champion Stakes - 1m 2f
Longchamp - Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe - 1m 4f

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Truly a magnificent animal.
Mind you Kinane is no slouch either. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_king Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_king

Well said Boxty. Most men Kinane's age can't even ride the wife, let alone the winner of an Arc.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Truly a magnificent animal.

Well said Boxty. Most men Kinane's age can't even ride the wife, let alone the winner of an Arc.

What if its cloudy.
Do you use a telescope.
Whats your favourite constelation
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 pm

So many great videos on YouTube of Sea The Stars (I'd nearly start a top 10 Sea The Stars' A Tribute Videos on You Tube thread only I'd be worried what RMD might say). Think this is one my favourite with the Titanic song:

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:40 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:So many great videos on YouTube of Sea The Stars (I'd nearly start a top 10 Sea The Stars' A Tribute Videos on You Tube thread only I'd be worried what RMD might say). Think this is one my favourite with the Titanic song:

While not being averse to an odd punt and not a racing aficionado, I must admit that this is truly a most magnificent animal and worthy of all the praise heaped upon him.
Credit to Oxx and Kinane as well but the horse is sheer class, his like won't be seen again.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:56 am

What an outstanding racehorse!

Will we ever see the like again!?

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:What an outstanding racehorse!

Possibly at every race don't they all look the same a head tail and 4 legs
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:What an outstanding racehorse!

Doubt it. Very few trainers would have the balls to campaign a great horse the way John Oxx did with STS this year. A Gr 1 every month since from 8 to 12 furlongs, on all types of ground including the 2000 guineas, Epsom Derby and the Arc which no horse has ever achieved before. And still a chance they might yet go for the breeders Cup!! No sporting story comes close to what Sea the Stars has done this year. Simply amazing.

Will he, should he go to California? I understand Oxx when he says it would nearly be 'unfair' to ask any more of this great horse and wouldn't blame him if he didn't run. The thought must have occured to him though that he'll probably never be in a position to have to make such a choice ever again and if the horse is sound, which they say he is, I think they'll do it.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Well said Mossy. Oxx has campaigned Sea The Stars to perfection, the decision to skip the Leger was, in hindsight, the correct one. Its so rare that a racehorse can be competitive over such a variety of trips, let alone win them all. And he truly would have the speed to win a July Cup.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm

So Sea the Stars is a horse equivalent of say Peter Snell of New Zealand?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Or Kelly Holmes?

But I doubt if anyone will ever say Holmes is the greatest athlete ever.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:23 pm

............has been retired to stud,

i wouldnt mind being retired to stud after i quit working - what a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Hail the greatest ever racehorse.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:31 pm

bocerty wrote:............has been retired to stud,

i wouldnt mind being retired to stud after i quit working - what a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A jaffa like you wouldn't get a job like that Boc! Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I know, Loyal, that you were hoping for him to go to American, but I'm delighted to hear that he has been retired. Winning the Arc was the perfect way to finish. A wonderful horse that has done more than anyone could expect of him. One of Irish sport's great champions.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I know, Loyal, that you were hoping for him to go to American, but I'm delighted to hear that he has been retired. Winning the Arc was the perfect way to finish. A wonderful horse that has done more than anyone could expect of him. One of Irish sport's great champions.

He's a horse TC. One of Irish sports great champions? Hardly. He was a fast animal. Why don't we celebrate the fastest cow when we're at it, or the fastest rabbit. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm

RMDrive wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:I know, Loyal, that you were hoping for him to go to American, but I'm delighted to hear that he has been retired. Winning the Arc was the perfect way to finish. A wonderful horse that has done more than anyone could expect of him. One of Irish sport's great champions.

He's a horse TC. One of Irish sports great champions? Hardly. He was a fast animal. Why don't we celebrate the fastest cow when we're at it, or the fastest rabbit. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Wonder who the slowest human being is? Such thickness. A great champion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:03 pm

RMDrive wrote: He's a horse TC. One of Irish sports great champions? Hardly. He was a fast animal. Why don't we celebrate the fastest cow when we're at it, or the fastest rabbit. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Ah now it's easy to trivialise any sport if you want to RMD. I mean, is soccer really more than kicking a ball around a field, if you want to break it down to basics?

Racing fans and casual sports fans have great affection for the horse, evidenced by thousands traveling to see his farewell in Paris, and his picture dominated the front page of the Daily Telegraph the following day. It is a great achievement for Irish sport and, like it or not, will be rememberred and recalled long after we are all gone.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:23 pm

I'd say the fastest rabbit would be rampant ........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote: He's a horse TC. One of Irish sports great champions? Hardly. He was a fast animal. Why don't we celebrate the fastest cow when we're at it, or the fastest rabbit. Sea the Stars - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Ah now it's easy to trivialise any sport if you want to RMD. I mean, is soccer really more than kicking a ball around a field, if you want to break it down to basics?

Racing fans and casual sports fans have great affection for the horse, evidenced by thousands traveling to see his farewell in Paris, and his picture dominated the front page of the Daily Telegraph the following day. It is a great achievement for Irish sport and, like it or not, will be rememberred and recalled long after we are all gone.

Human endeavour TC. Thats the difference. Sacrifice and practice and training and determination. That horse was just being a horse. He didn't choose to strive for something great; he was just being a horse.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next