GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheating in Sports

+2
bald eagle
Thomas Clarke
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cheating in Sports - Page 2 Empty Re: Cheating in Sports

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

bald eagle wrote:See my first post on this thread Boc, we are all cheats to some form or other. Have to agree with you though, players play to the limit of the rules and push the ref/umpire to the limit.

we are all cheats is right BE - there are just different levels of it many of the stunts pulled can have little or no bearing on the outcome of a game / match / contest but i certainly wouldnt put Broads misdemeanor up there with say drug taking, Maradonas hand ball etc they are much more serious 'crimes'
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
in fact i couldnt think of a worse sport to watch and its a sport i can honestly say i have never sat down to watch.

Give it a go Boc.  It's one of those sports that, once you understand what is going on, it can be great to watch.

sorry TC but its alongside American Football in my book. One of those sports i would quicker put the TV through the window than sit and watch it.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 am

bocerty wrote: Maradonas hand ball etc they are much more serious 'crimes'

I'd say that what Broad did was identical to Maradona. It is the perfect comparison.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 am

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
in fact i couldnt think of a worse sport to watch and its a sport i can honestly say i have never sat down to watch.

Give it a go Boc.  It's one of those sports that, once you understand what is going on, it can be great to watch.

sorry TC but its alongside American Football in my book.  One of those sports i would quicker put the TV through the window than sit and watch it.

Each to their own Boc, but I just find it odd that you say that never having watched it. Still, I suppose we are always attracted to different things. For me, cricket is a bit like watching golf: you don't watch it for 15 minutes expecting to see fireworks, but you do get sucked into it if you have peace and time to enjoy it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:

I'd say that what Broad did was identical to Maradona.  It is the perfect comparison.  

hardly identical, Maradona deliberately used his hand to score and to mislead the officials, Broad hardly set out to deliberately mislead anyone, he just got a lucky break
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

I'd say that what Broad did was identical to Maradona.  It is the perfect comparison.  

hardly identical, Maradona deliberately used his hand to score and to mislead the officials, Broad hardly set out to deliberately mislead anyone, he just got a lucky break

As I see it, both knew they had done wrong (i.e. dishonestly affected the scoreboard), and neither owned up. If anything, Broad had more time to consider his actions than Maradona, given the replays and debate that took place about the incident.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm

bocerty wrote:hardly identical, Maradona deliberately used his hand to score and to mislead the officials, Broad hardly set out to deliberately mislead anyone, he just got a lucky break

Exactly right.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

As I see it, both knew they had done wrong (i.e. dishonestly affected the scoreboard), and neither owned up.  If anything, Broad had more time to consider his actions than Maradona, given the replays and debate that took place about the incident.  

big difference is TC Maradona deliberately handled the ball and didn't own up, Broads only 'crime' was he didn't own up. There is a major difference there for me, which makes the two incidents as different as chalk and cheese.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I used to hate watching cricket but now don't mind it, i only watch the big games though. I put that down to living in a cricket mad area for a few years though. Apart from that i'd agree with Boc RE American Throwball, but i do love watching Friday Night Lights tv series and Americas Game! Then again, i can take tomato ketchup but hate tomatos! Strange.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Bocerty stands by Broad  has a merry ring to it.....Wahey!!!!!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 am

read this article (only copied in some of it) and thought it a bit ironic given the topic we were discussing

The International Cricket Council has confirmed that England batsman Jonathan Trott should not have been given out lbw during the first Ashes Test.

Trott was initially given not out, but dismissed by third umpire Marais Erasmus when Australia used the Decision Review System (DRS).

The ICC said it was one of "three uncorrected errors" at Trent Bridge.

"The umpires did a good job under difficult conditions," said ICC chief executive David Richardson.

"However, like the players, umpires can also have good and bad days but we all know that the umpire's decision, right or wrong, is final and must be accepted."

Trott was dismissed first ball in England's second innings by Mitchell Starc, despite getting an inside edge.

He was given not out by on-field umpire Aleem Dar but dismissed by Erasmus despite the key HotSpot camera angle being unavailable to the official.

The two other uncorrected decisions involved Stuart Broad, both the edge that carried to slip via Brad Haddin's gloves and an lbw appeal where he did not offer a shot, but neither could be corrected as Australia had used up their reviews.

does this constitute cheating too TC?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Totally different Boc.  Not really sure of the relevance of the comparison?

Anyway, on the subject of Broad, everyone will have their own take on it, but there were plenty of people who felt that what he did was out of order, several of them English:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23293960  
(Jonathan Agnew - BBC Cricket Correspondent)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/james-lawton-stuart-broads-refusal-to-walk-shows-that-the-spirit-of-cricket-is-well-and-truly-dead-8706616.html  
(James lawton - Chief Sports Writer in Guardian)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2362314/Ashes-2013-Stuart-Broad-banned-says-Michael-Holding.html (Michael Holding - West Indies legend and SKY commentator)

As I said, there will be many others who felt what Broad did was fine, but I think it was poor form.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2