GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AI Champions GG News

+4
Parouisa
RMDrive
bald eagle
OMAR
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

AI Champions GG News - Page 2 Empty Re: AI Champions GG News

Post  OMAR Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:In a similarly depressing way to how Kerry always seem to be able to tap into great bloodlines, I see 19 year old Ryan McHugh made his debut last night. What do our Donegal posters make of him? Is he likely to be making the same impact as his brother over the next couple of years?

[b]

Word is that Ryan has been put on a 4000 calorie a day diet. After 2 months he has put on a stone and has reached a scales breaking 10 and a half stone.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 am

I see DCU led by Mick Murphy got dumped out of the Sigerson at semi stage .... an omen for MM for this year??? Twisted Evil
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Parouisa wrote:I see DCU led by Mick Murphy got dumped out of the Sigerson at semi stage .... an omen for MM for this year??? Twisted Evil

He did get his hands on the railway cup 48 hours later
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm

OMAR wrote:He did get his hands on the railway cup 48 hours later

Are you sure about that? From pictures elsewhere it looks to me like nobody got their hands on it except the two Cavan men - who were like kids on Xmas morning .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 pm

What's seldom is wonderful...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am

Having seen him a few times this spring, I've been struck by the deterioration in Colm Anthony McFadden's form. He looks a lumbering shadow of the man who was perhaps the best forward in Ireland last summer.

McFadden has always been a bit of an enigma - the potential was evident, but rarely delivered upon. Personally, Id've said that he was on the way out a couple of years ago, but his brother-in-law seemed to revitalise him and turn him into the powerful scorer that we saw last season.

I'm curious to know what the view from Donegal is on this one: Are we expecting the big man to roar back to form when the evenings lengthen? Or, having won an AI and shown the country just how good he could be, is his motvation on the wane again?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

His form is a bit worrying all right TC. Traditionally this was the time of year when he played well, only to go off the boil in the summer. For some reason he was able to lift his performance massively last year and was a genuine POTY contender. I've always felt that his almost total reliance on his left peg left him somewhat easier to mark than other forwards; good defenders were always able to force him to his right.

I can only hope that he will find his form again as we get nearer to May 26th in Ballybofey. We'll be in bother if he doesn't.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

He looked physically different last year. His facial features were much less rounded which indicates that in other years he has carried 10odd lbs in the wrong places. Last year it was clear he was fitter and stronger than he had been at any time in ten years. That extra edge isn't back yet. My concern would be that it does not come naturally and that last year he dug deeper than he will ever do again. I hope I'm wrong though

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:08 pm

I think we are all of similar mindsets (except, obviously, one of us is not as keen on seeing a return to form as the other 2!).

Donegal don't really have anyone else to challenge McFadden for his place in the side (Dermot Molloy is even heavier), so I guess the motivation will have to be the carrot as opposed to the stick. I think that Donegal will need him playing well in the summer if they are to retain their title.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:24 pm

funnily enough i was having the same conversation about McFadden with a guy at work a few weeks back. I think McFadden emptied the tank last season and having achieved what he set out to achieve the hunger is no longer there, were he a few years younger there would be some hope that he could find the desire to get back to where he was but similar to an injured player who has suffered a serious injury before, knowing what is required to get back there is somewhat off putting i would think.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:28 pm

bocerty wrote:I think McFadden emptied the tank last season and having achieved what he set out to achieve the hunger is no longer there, were he a few years younger there would be some hope that he could find the desire to get back to where he was but similar to an injured player who has suffered a serious injury before, knowing what is required to get back there is somewhat off putting i would think.

My guess would be that this sums it up very well.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:I think McFadden emptied the tank last season and having achieved what he set out to achieve the hunger is no longer there, were he a few years younger there would be some hope that he could find the desire to get back to where he was but similar to an injured player who has suffered a serious injury before, knowing what is required to get back there is somewhat off putting i would think.

Jaysus ye are very quick to bury a man .... it is possibly wishful thinking from a couple of Tyrone men. If he hits 2-7 in May I will bump these posts with relish!!

Given his age maybe he is actually trying to peak at the right time?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Jaysus ye are very quick to bury a man .... it is possibly wishful thinking from a couple of Tyrone men. If he hits 2-7 in May I will bump these posts with relish!!

Almost nine years to the day when he did something similar to the red-hands

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm

OMAR wrote:
Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Almost nine years to the day when he did something similar to the red-hands

Very true and in between those 9 years he done fook all of note until last year, maybe we should rename him McFaddens Comet, only seen once every 9 years
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:49 am

Parouisa wrote:

Oh he could well come roaring back to form in the summer, but I think the Donegal lads have also expressed concerns, so not sure why the finger is being pointed at Bocerty and I.

Boc's point is a fair one - McFadden has had more disappointing years than good years. Given his talent, this suggests motivational issues, so I wouldn't put my house on him being a goliath again a couple of months from now. But, as you say, perhaps it is wishful thinking!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 am

Parouisa wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

not trying to put a man down at all far from it, but for all his potential he has disappointed more often than not. Very one footed even at this late stage in his career.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Neil McGee suffered a disolcated knee-cap yesterday against Mayo, who had the ball in the net within 5 minutes of him leaving the field.

There's no question that this would be a big blow for Donegal with the championship 9 weeks away - will he be back and, if not, who comes in for him?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Would be a huge loss
In the event he was out possibly Eamon at Full back McGlynn back in corner with McGrath - And Thompson,Lacey (if Recovered), Ryan McHugh as a half back line
Though McHugh for MCglynn is a loss of about 5 stone in phyiscallity

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm

OMAR wrote:Would be a huge loss
In the event he was out possibly Eamon at Full back McGlynn back in corner with McGrath - And Thompson,Lacey (if Recovered), Ryan McHugh as a half back line
Though McHugh for MCglynn is a loss of about 5 stone in phyiscallity

Hmm, Donegal usually have the 2 McGees as the last line of defence, normally against a 2 man FF line. In what you have described, I'd imagine that McGrath and Eamonn would be last line, with McGlynn on Mark Donnelly (who will roam out the field).

This is something Donegal could really have done without, especially with Lacey also due to return from a long injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see Walsh in instead of Ryan McHugh, or even Mark back there with Wherity taking his place in attack. In any event, it sounds like there is no 'plug and play' replacement at FB.

Tyrone have their own concerns, though, with Coney out, Carlin just back in training, and Justin McMahon and Mattie Donnelly struggling with injuries over the last couple of weeks.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Neil McGee suffered a disolcated knee-cap yesterday against Mayo, who had the ball in the net within 5 minutes of him leaving the field.

There's no question that this would be a big blow for Donegal with the championship 9 weeks away - will he be back and, if not, who comes in for him?

apparently the knee was popped back in again whilst he was in the shower!!!!

perhaps the source of Donegals problems have been identified. affraid affraid affraid affraid
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Donegal will play Tyrone in Ballybofey in their USFC first round clash. Very Happy
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm

RMDrive wrote:Donegal will play Tyrone in Ballybofey in their USFC first round clash. Very Happy

It's a shame, as there will be people unable to attend.

Still, at least we'll get to play Derry/Down in Clones!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm

dublin look tasty at 7/4 to dump donegal,jim wont want to give jim a leg up me thinks

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm

champers wrote:dublin look tasty at 7/4 to dump donegal,jim wont want to give jim a leg up me thinks

Good bet.Mcguinness will tell the lads to take her handy, trusting that our red hand neighbours will do the needfull
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 pm

OMAR wrote:
champers wrote:dublin look tasty at 7/4 to dump donegal,jim wont want to give jim a leg up me thinks

Good bet.Mcguinness will tell the lads to take her handy, trusting that our red hand neighbours will do the needfull

Tyrone at 11/10 looks even tastier - the bookies must be banking on Tyrone resting players, but I don't see that happening.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next