GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meath - How bad are they?

4 posters

Go down

Meath - How bad are they? Empty Meath - How bad are they?

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Absolutely dire. What has gone wrong for this county famed once for it's traditonal style, home-grown managers and willingness to fight to the bitter end?

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Meath - How bad are they? Empty Re: Meath - How bad are they?

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Things looking rough alright - with relegation a real prospect. I have said on many occasions that I felt Meath were over achieving in recent years in getting to QFs and the SF. But I thought last year they looked reasonably good - especially up front. I still maintain they haven't had a decent MF since McDermott retired and their defence is quite weak.

But I think there is now a real confidence crisis and this has to affect. I always rated Joe S and was delighted with what he has shown in coming back these last few seasons. But Joe in particular is a confidence player and I would worry about how good he will be if things keep heading south. Meath have also been unlucky with injuries but too many of their forwards blow hot and cold. If they click on a given day they will blow anyone away - but it rarely happens. And Shane O'ROurke has not matured as I thought he would either.

It must be frustrating for a county that has just produced Giles, Stafford, Dowd, Ollie, GG etc to see no ready replacements coming through - at all. Where are all the kids that revered these guys and wanted to emulate them? How long is it since a senior Meath club did anything in Leinster club competition? Strange days in Meath alright.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm not going to lie- it's worrying the path we are going down. Like they are not playing like a REAL Meath team. Like forwards have never been a problem for Meath but now they just can't seem to put the ball over the bar. I think, I hope, we are really missing Stephen Bray and when he comes back his leadership will shine through up in the forwards.

If anything positive has come from the past few matches is that Bryan Mento is playing well at CHB. I am probably completely bias as he is a fellow clubman of mine but I feel he could become a permanent feature there. Come on the Mento. Woooo Smile

Unfortunately I cannot see us getting past our first match in Leinster and maybe not doing so well in the qualifiers. I'm really trying to be positive about Banty but I was sceptical from the beginning but I'm just not sure on the direction which he is bringing the team. It's worrying to say the least.

So over all not so good, but maybe they're just looking bad now so when the championship does roll around anything will seem better.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:So over all not so good, but maybe they're just looking bad now so when the championship does roll around anything will seem better.

No offence but if ye end up in Division 3 then a C'ship win over London may even seem better!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:So over all not so good, but maybe they're just looking bad now so when the championship does roll around anything will seem better.

No offence but if ye end up in Division 3 then a C'ship win over London may even seem better!

Well if I'm being positive in 2007 we won division 3 and we had a good year that time.. And maybe it will give them the kick up the hole they need.. Hopefully..
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Maybe ye should see if ye can get M Sludden to ref all your matches ..... Twisted Evil
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Maybe you should take that joke back to the nursing home with ya because it is old.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Ah I just thought I'd throw it in. No - wait a minute - that was Joe Sheridan .... Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Ah I just thought I'd throw it in. No - wait a minute - that was Joe Sheridan .... Laughing

Saw Charlie Redmond earlier, said hi to him and all, had to do it again though because Charlie only does stuff if he hears it twice. Probably why he couldn't get his penalties right either actually...
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Maybe ye should see if ye can get M Sludden to ref all your matches ..... Twisted Evil

Do not mention that name........ever.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:15 pm

I see Nigel Crawford has had a right pop at Banty. All not well - mind you if the lad had a decent game over the last 3/4 seasons I might be more inclined to heed his opinion. Let he who is without sin etc .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I see Nigel Crawford has had a right pop at Banty. All not well - mind you if the lad had a decent game over the last 3/4 seasons I might be more inclined to heed his opinion. Let he who is without sin etc .....

I would say it was more a pop at the county board and them ousting Eamonn O'Brien than Banty really.. And Nigel Crawford has been a great servant to Meath, one of only two current players in Leinster with an All Ireland Medal so a bit of respect wouldn't go astray
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:I see Nigel Crawford has had a right pop at Banty. All not well - mind you if the lad had a decent game over the last 3/4 seasons I might be more inclined to heed his opinion. Let he who is without sin etc .....

I would say it was more a pop at the county board and them ousting Eamonn O'Brien than Banty really.. And Nigel Crawford has been a great servant to Meath, one of only two current players in Leinster with an All Ireland Medal so a bit of respect wouldn't go astray

Never saw him have a good game tbh - Cindy is a good nickname. Wouldn't lace Whelo's drinks. I read it as a pop at banty too ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Royal_Girl2k9 wrote:

Never saw him have a good game tbh - Cindy is a good nickname. Wouldn't lace Whelo's drinks. I read it as a pop at banty too ...

He's had plenty of good games, he just ran out of legs over the past couple of years. Yeah Ciaran Whelan he was great wasn't he...
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

He was a far better player than Crawford ever was to be quite frank.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:He was a far better player than Crawford ever was to be quite frank.

In Crawford's prime I'd say they would have been around the same, Whelan just lasted better.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:26 pm

I agree with Nigel Crawford's summary of the Meath year.

I'm not sure what exactly his motivation is.

Anyway, Crawford has been the dominant midfielder in Meath over the last ten years. Midfield partners have included:
John McDermott
Nigel Nestor
Charles McCarthy
Anthony Moyles
John Cullinane
Niall Kelly
Barry Lynch
Mark Ward
Brian Meade

Only one has managed to remain constant and that's Crawford (bar an injury in 2003 and this year when Banty replaced him with younger legs).

I remember in 1998 - when Crawford started midfield for Dunboyne at 18 years of age - people said he was the next John McDermott.

Good player / Great servant / All-Ireland champion 1999 / Leinster champion 1999-2001-2010 / Meath captain 2006-2010.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Totally overrated IMO. When you think of the ridiculous and erroneous stick Whelan got for allegedly drifting out of games ... and then look at Crawford who never even drifted into games to drift out of them it says it all really.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Totally overrated IMO. When you think of the ridiculous and erroneous stick Whelan got for allegedly drifting out of games ... and then look at Crawford who never even drifted into games to drift out of them it says it all really.

What has Ciaran Whelan actually got to do with any of this..? In my opinion Nigel Crawford was a great and loyal player for Meath.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Fair enough ... and then ye wonder how bad are Meath Rolling Eyes (Loyal's own thread title) ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down