GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meath vs Offaly

+5
mossbags
Grenvile
Shinners
GAAGenious
GAA-Fan
9 posters

Go down

Meath vs Offaly Empty Meath vs Offaly

Post  GAA-Fan Sun May 23, 2010 2:38 pm

A decent enough game. Meath's defence is looking as shaky as a game of Jenga.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Meath vs Offaly Empty Re: Meath vs Offaly

Post  GAAGenious Sun May 23, 2010 3:12 pm

They will need to find a full back for the Laois game with Kingston up there, the meath forward line tho is one of the best in the country 17 points with 17 min left is some scoring Meath vs Offaly Icon_cool
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo
Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Sun May 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Its not the worst game I've ever seen. Meath kicking some decent scores - especially from Cian Ward, but conceding two soft goals like that has to be a worry when there's bigger tests ahead.
Offaly have missed so many frees - they should've changed their free taker much earlier - and they wont trouble too many in the qualifiers.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun May 23, 2010 3:16 pm

GAAGenious wrote:They will need to find a full back for the Laois game with Kingston up there, the meath forward line tho is one of the best in the country 17 points with 17 min left is some scoring Meath vs Offaly Icon_cool

Playing against a team with 14 men - shouldnt be too difficult.

If Meath were up against a decent team today they would have been sliced right open. Offaly can get forward but now there is an extra man in defence so Offaly aren't scoring now. Anyway, it is only the first game im sure Meath will improve.

Referee is a card nazi. And the new rules are ruining the game again.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Sun May 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Fahy is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to cards - some of the hand passing was perfectly fine and he still pulled them up on it.
Meath should've won by a lot more - they only started to dominate when Coughlan was sent off.
Colm O'Rourke raving about his beloved son now - why is he allowed doing analysis when his son and nephew were playing?
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Another disgraceful refereeing display.. Meath have some class forwards they gave an exhibition on point taking today, if they could sure up the defence they could cause some trouble in Leinster.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 pm

Love the way RTE didnt kick up a fuss about that Coughlan forearm smash into the back of the Meath players head

Meath 7 - 9 Offaly - Wides

Meath 7/19 - 12/28 Offaly - Kick outs won

Meath 53% - 47% Offaly - Territory

Referee was tackled at the end Meath vs Offaly Icon_twisted
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun May 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Caught the 2nd half of this. Referee seemed hell bent on ruining it as a spectacle. Meath shaped up nicely enough, a lot of big lads on their team. Leinster won't take much winning this year and they have every chance.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun May 23, 2010 5:34 pm

To be fair to Fahy, he is only implementing the rules, what can he do? He has to follow the rulebook.

The Meath defence was shaky but there's not too many more Niall McNamees in Ireland, two moments of class resulted in both goals. Worringly for Meath, our supposed best man-marker was struggling big time though until the sending-off (when Moyles dropped back in front of McNamee). I doubt Laois have any players as good as McNamee anyway but their forwards as a unit might be better. With Reilly and McGuinness to come back, we should be okay.

Our forwards did well, we had four of the most natural forwards around out there today and Farrell and Queeney on the line too. I thought Shane O'Rourke was our best player so Colm has a right to talk for now. You'd imagine it might been difficult enough for Paddy O'Rourke after what happened his club-mate last night too.

Overall a sad day for Meath football. We won but at the end of the day, football isn't the be all and end all.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Wasn't a great match by any standards. The match became farcical with the new rules. Felt sorry for the Offaly no. 10 when he was taking frees, just wasn't his day. Meath backs are very very shakey. A lot of work will need to be done before the Laois match.

Today it was hard to enjoy the match with the tragic passing of Liam Tolan casting a dark shadow over it. The last time I was in O'Moore Park before today was last year at the schools All Ireland Final when Liam was representing our school. He was a fantastic footballer and he seemed like a lovely guy but he was taken before his time. They opened up the school today so people could go over to pay their respects and I was over there for a while and everyone was devastated. It is truly horrible. RIP Liam.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Shocking news about Liam Tolan alright - RIP.

Loyal not sure you are right about it not being the refs fault cos he has to apply the letter of the law. The fact is he was wrong in as many as he was right in terms of the handpass - one which gave Meath a point. That said he was spot on with the red card. Darby had a shocker - hooking the ball every time and they should have taken him off free taking duty earlier. McNamee was carrying an injury but was still class.

Yep Harrington had a poor one and Meath still don't seem to know what to do with Moyles and only solved this when he was the extra man. I was more impressed with Meath than I have been for the last two or three seasons tbh. Up front they have real class. Cian Ward was superb, Joe is looking great and very unlucky to have his goal chalked off, Graham Reilly just needs to learn to relax a bit more - he was trying too hard. Stephen Bray was very good and Shane O'Rourke is such a clone of the Dad and if he stays fit (he deserves to) will have a great season. And Brian Farrell came on too. A fair few to come back too - looks promising.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon May 24, 2010 11:39 am

I also found myself surprisingly impressed by the Meath forwards yesterday.

Okay, I've been going on at length about this great forward line of ours for years now but I had begun to resign myself to the fact that all its potential would go unfulfilled. Maybe now, they can start to deliver. Hopefully, EOB sticks with the same six for the next game or two:

Kenny-Joe-Bigey
Wardy-O'Rourke-Brayer

Yeah the likes of Farrell, Queeney and Peader can come in and compensate for any injuries there but a settled forward line is one of the keys to our progress too. I feel particularly sorry for Farrell but unless someone gets injured, he ain't getting back into this team.

The games are coming in nice incremental steps of toughness, Offaly-Laois-Dublin, too. I think, after yesterday, this could be our best shot at Leinster. We've been coming so close to Dublin time after time, maybe we've finally made a breakthrough. Their new team coupled with our improving team might swing it in our favour! The Laois game will help give a truer reflection of Meath's worth. We'll need McGuinness and Reily back for that though to shore up our defence with probably Juicy and King being the biggest losers from yesterday.

N.B. A round of club championship next weekend will probably only serve to bring about more injury concerns.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Overall a sad day for Meath football. We won but at the end of the day, football isn't the be all and end all.

True indeed Loyal, true indeed..We've had a couple of these tragedies hereabouts and they are bad for everyone.
Commiserations from the GAA world of Leitrim and the light of heaven to the lad....RIP..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

very sad news indeed - i'd say i speak for all GAA folk in Tyrone when i say we know exactly what its like to lose a member of the GAA family.

RIP and condolences to the lads family.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Loyal - at one stage yesterday Spilane said Meath were not in the top 10 (in Ireland I presume. Thought that was a bit harsh and was trying to think of 9 better teams .... but couldn't. Cork, Kerry, Dublin, maybe Galway and Kildare, Tyrone and hard to make a case for many others - Monaghan and Armagh would be on a par I reckon. So Spillane's contention that they are not in the top 10 is way off I reckon.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down