GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ten greatest sporting memories

+12
whiterbananas
Thomas Clarke
bald eagle
Boxtyeater
Real Kerry Fan
mugsys_barber
Bermuda_Bomber
up.the.oak.trees
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
Swinford2009
mossbags
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Empty Re: ten greatest sporting memories

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

samin10 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but who are the Babarians in rugby? I know the Lions is Britain and Ireland. Often wondered that when they have been mentioned.

From my learned rugger friends. The British Lions tour outside Britain but The Barbarians do not. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_eek
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Empty Re: ten greatest sporting memories

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

Swinford2009 wrote:RKF...Do you mind me asking why you have the 2004 and 2006 matches in your top 10 but not the two all-ireland where Kerry beat Cork? surely they should be seen as better than beating Mayo or is this just another attempt on here at getting in a dig at Mayo

2004 because Kerry had not won for a few years. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_smile 2006 nothing to do with Mayo but more to do with the so called Kerry fans who booed their captain in Cork. I really enjoyed Declan silencing them that day. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_lol Prob should have stuck in a Cork one also but only 10 choices.No I have the highest respect for Mayo ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_sunny
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:The British Lions tour outside Britain but The Barbarians do not. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_eek

British and Irish Lions my friend - British and Irish Lions ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:The British Lions tour outside Britain but The Barbarians do not. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_eek

Sorry Jayo. Consulted the guys again. Name was officially changed in 2001. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

samin10 wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:I wouldn't say it was common Liam, no. Catholics do attend rugby matches now, even club games (Dungannon's crowd would probably be mainly Catholic now), but I don't think I've ever seen someone I know to be a Catholic in an Ulster top. May be different in other parts, like wealthier areas of Belfast perhaps. You mainly see GAA tops in Tyrone.

Same in Armagh

Please see my previous post where i provided a link for you.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:54 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Sorry Jayo. Consulted the guys again. Name was officially changed in 2001. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_sad

They may have changed it RKF .... but we say never never never

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

It was officially the British Lions until 2001. They ( I dont know who 'they' are!)then found out that there were some non British players from the Republic of Ireland on the team so the changed the official name. Have a read of Moss Keane's book where he was, lets say bewildered by the scoreboard in N.Zealand showin 'British Lions' and queried it and his biggest fear was confirmed. ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Great read RKF - think I was at the launch! He was good mates with Mr McAleese!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Great read RKF - think I was at the launch! He was good mates with Mr McAleese!

Yeah Jayo and a great character. He is going through a tough time,healthwise, at present but knowing the gentle giant he will win.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Great read RKF - think I was at the launch! He was good mates with Mr McAleese!

Yeah Jayo and a great character. He is going through a tough time,healthwise, at present but knowing the gentle giant he will win.

I had heard that and was gonna ask had you heard how he is. I have been at a few things he MCed etc - tells a great yarn and has no airs about him at all. Hope he pulls through.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm

Simon MCaleese ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Ruanua wrote:

Simon MCaleese ?

Martin (Mr Mary!!!)
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Ruanua wrote:

Simon MCaleese ?

Martin (Mr Mary!!!)

Martin and Moss exchanged pleasantries during the Sigerson Cup final of 1971, became good friends afterwards.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:02 am

Boxtyeater wrote:1973...Gareth Edward's try for the Barbarians against the All Blacks.

1975...Ali and Frazier conclude their business in the "Thrilla in Manila".

1980...Galway capture the Liam McCarthy trophy after long wait.

1987...Stephen Roche pulls out all the stops on the ascent to LaPlagna.

1994...Leitrim regain Connacht title "in atmospheric scenes" at the Hyde.

2000...Istabraq proves his pedigree with Champion Hurdle hat-trick.

2003...Croke Park en-fete as Special Olympics opens with wonderful pageantry.

2005...Owen Mulligan sets the old ground alight with goal of epic proportions V Dublin.

2006...Ciaran McDonald scores stunning winner in a magnificent match against Dublin.

2009...Seamless Kilkenny complete four in a row overcoming arch rival Tipperary.

I remember the great Leitrim well and their annexation of the Nestor Cup circa 93/94 is unquestionably one of the greatest sporting triumphs I have witnessed in my lifetime, worth the grand-kids ear, whether they like it or not! Sad thing is, is that it puts certain other Connacht counties, who had all the resources but half the guts, puts their lack of achievement into perspective and yes its Mayo who Im talking about. For all their high hopes and great talk they have achieved absolutly nothing. That great Leitrim team, along with the great Roscommon and Sligo teams since and the odd Galway side or two have been the ones keeping the Connacht Championship the foremost provincial in the land, which, the abjectness of Mayo aside, has been the provincial championship par excellence fr the last 15 to 20 years or so beyond any shadow of a doubt.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 pm

10 dublin losing the all ireland 1992
9 dublin losing the all ireland 1994
8 dublin losing to meath 1991
7 dublin losing to westmeath 2004
6 kerry beating dublin 2007
5 maurice fitz sideline v dublin 2001
4 tyrone annihilating dublin 2008
3 kerry annihilating dublin 2009
2 ray cosgrove hitting the post v armagh 2002
1 mayo beating dublin 2006
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:21 pm

whiterbananas wrote:10 dublin losing the all ireland 1992
9 dublin losing the all ireland 1994
8 dublin losing to meath 1991
7 dublin losing to westmeath 2004
6 kerry beating dublin 2007
5 maurice fitz sideline v dublin 2001
4 tyrone annihilating dublin 2008
3 kerry annihilating dublin 2009
2 ray cosgrove hitting the post v armagh 2002
1 mayo beating dublin 2006

I believe you may well have some complex about Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:44 pm

my gaa ones would be and in no particular order

1. the first half against kerry in 2003 - the passion pride and hunger shown by tyrone that day was fantastic
2. beating derry in 95 down by 2 men at half time and trailing by five on the scoreboard we still won
3. the two matches v dublin in 2005 the sound off the hill when dublin scored their goals the first day still send shivers down my spine and the silence after mugsy scored his goal in the replay was deafening
4. 1995 attending my first ever all ireland final
5. 1998 the minors winning - making up for 97
6. all three finals were special in their own way
7. 97 st pat dungannon winning their first hogan - it pissed in croker that day but it was special
8. winning a club championship final - the only one i ever played in -100% record
9. tyrone v armagh 2005 3 games and only the finest of margins between them no better man to score the winning point. the chanting on the field after it nearly made winning sam an anti climax - naerly!
10. the build up to and the 08 final -beards, team of the decade dung, the minors, paul galvin will he wont he steven oneill will he wont he and the most inaudiable speech from a winning captain ever. stuck on the n3 when we were supposed to go the n2 home ! miossing the sunday game and not caring .

other sporting memories outside of the gaa would be

ireland grand slam , usa 94 - ohh ahh paul mcgraths performance, italia 90, man yoo and the european cup finals of 99 and 2009, celtics uefa cup oddyssey, ken doc winning the snooker (only 1 yr old when denis taylor won it) padraig harringtons shot on the 17th in the open a fairway wood from 200 yards to 5 feet, tom watsons valiant attempt to win the open last yr tyrones very own darren clarke playing his heart out in the ryder cup the tour de france coming through ireland i was in wicklow for one of the time trials amazing stuff.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I think buachail liathroid has infiltrated the camp! ten greatest sporting memories - Page 2 Icon_mad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm

1. the first half against kerry in 2003 - the passion pride and hunger shown by tyrone that day was fantastic

Think this is one of Pat Spillanes favourites as well. The birth of "puke football"

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 pm

yeah the last time i checked defending was one of the skills needed to play gaelic football - sure real madrid is trying to play soccer with 29 forwards and a keeper and look how they are doing!

in that match we scored 9 points in the first half not bad for puke football.

its still in my top ten and im not WUMing
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

redhandman wrote:yeah the last time i checked defending was one of the skills needed to play gaelic football - sure real madrid is trying to play soccer with 29 forwards and a keeper and look how they are doing!

in that match we scored 9 points in the first half not bad for puke football.

its still in my top ten and im not WUMing

I enjoyed it as well, as much to see Spillane annoyed as anything else. The man is a wannabe Dunphy

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 pm

1 - 1993 watching Derry win the All Ireland on the Hill.
2 - 1994 and witnessing the greatest game i've ever seen when Derry played Down at Celtic Park.
3 - Tyrone swarming all over Kerry in '03, a breath-taking display of defending and tackling and not deserving of the lazy comments made about it nowadays.
4 - 1995, Clare beating Offaly in the AI final, i'll always remember Ger Loughnane at half time saying "we WILL win this"
5 - Cork V Wexford (drawn game) in 2004 i think, the most exciting hurling match i've been at, Wexford scored in injury time to draw and i let a jump out of me and ended up 4 rows down in front of me!!!
6 - Watching Derry hold Tyrone scoreless to half time in 2006.
7 - Seville, UEFA Cup Final 2003, great atmosphere pity about the result
8 - Derry 2-15 Tyrone 2-03 in 1998 i think
9 - 2002 All Ireland finals, Armagh & Derry winning and netting me £500!!!
10 - Plunkett Donaghys own goal to hand Derry the 1992 National League (well it wasn't really an own goal more like a brilliant free from Tohill)

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:51 pm

George Washington winning the QEII would be my most memorable sporting moment. Champion 2yo, favourite for the Guineas, bolts up but then disappoints a few weeks later at the Curragh. Subsequently injured, back in the Celebration Mile but can only finish third.

Then the QEII. Champion Miler status on the line. And what does George do, win doing a half-speed under Kinane. I will always maintain that on his day, Gorgeous George as he was affectionately known was unbeatable. He was as mercurial as they come but when he was right, nothing could live with him. And the fallout after the race when O'Brien and Dettori nearly came to blows.

Of course, George had his problems when he went to stud but that all added to the character of the horse. He came back but bad rides, false run races and poor placing meant he never won a single race as a 4yo.

And then there was the Breeders Cup, probably my worst sporting memory.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 pm

1 Getting promoted to senior with my club as 19 year old first time ever for club..

2 Winning a freshers with RTC

3 Dublin v Kerry 77

4 79 v Offaly Leinster final..

5 Cork way 83

6 Stuggart 88

7 Genoa 90

8 New york 94

9 Ireland Grand Slam.

10 Leinster Heinken Cup Champions
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm

bald eagle wrote:1 - 1993 watching Derry win the All Ireland on the Hill.
2 - 1994 and witnessing the greatest game i've ever seen when Derry played Down at Celtic Park.
3 - Tyrone swarming all over Kerry in '03, a breath-taking display of defending and tackling and not deserving of the lazy comments made about it nowadays.
4 - 1995, Clare beating Offaly in the AI final, i'll always remember Ger Loughnane at half time saying "we WILL win this"
5 - Cork V Wexford (drawn game) in 2004 i think, the most exciting hurling match i've been at, Wexford scored in injury time to draw and i let a jump out of me and ended up 4 rows down in front of me!!!
6 - Watching Derry hold Tyrone scoreless to half time in 2006.
7 - Seville, UEFA Cup Final 2003, great atmosphere pity about the result
8 - Derry 2-15 Tyrone 2-03 in 1998 i think
9 - 2002 All Ireland finals, Armagh & Derry winning and netting me £500!!!
10 - Plunkett Donaghys own goal to hand Derry the 1992 National League (well it wasn't really an own goal more like a brilliant free from Tohill)

Good day to be on the hill bald eagle standing ovation from the Dublin fans
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next