GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Certainly not Messi ...

+10
patrique
Loyal2TheRoyal
RMDrive
SamiPremier08
mossbags
clash-of-da-ash
The Puke
Real Kerry Fan
mid-mon man
Jayo Cluxton
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Empty Re: Certainly not Messi ...

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Argentina remind me a lot of Brazil in 2002. They too stuggled to qualify for the World Cup and had to recall 35 year old romario to help them qualify. They went into that World Cup as one of the most fancied but not the favourite. I'd love to know who was the last pre-World Cup favourite to win the World Cup? My guess would be W.Germany in 74?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Argentina remind me a lot of Brazil in 2002. They too stuggled to qualify for the World Cup and had to recall 35 year old romario to help them qualify. They went into that World Cup as one of the most fancied but not the favourite. I'd love to know who was the last pre-World Cup favourite to win the World Cup? My guess would be W.Germany in 74?

Brazil never struggled at all to qualify in 2002, they were always going to make the top 4.

However the British media and SKY, used to selling the premiership and fooling people that it is not all about the top 4, started the usual nonsense when it became apparent that Brazil would not come 1st.

Did me a favour as I could not believe that I was getting 8/1 for brazil to win the title.

Bit like getting Kilkenny at 10/1 for this years hurling title.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Have watched the first 35 minutes of this game so far. Apart from scoring an easy goal that was solely the product of poor marking, he has been average at best. Presume I'm going to watch a fantastic performance over the next 55 min.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 pm

patrique wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Argentina remind me a lot of Brazil in 2002. They too stuggled to qualify for the World Cup and had to recall 35 year old romario to help them qualify. They went into that World Cup as one of the most fancied but not the favourite. I'd love to know who was the last pre-World Cup favourite to win the World Cup? My guess would be W.Germany in 74?

Brazil never struggled at all to qualify in 2002, they were always going to make the top 4.

However the British media and SKY, used to selling the premiership and fooling people that it is not all about the top 4, started the usual nonsense when it became apparent that Brazil would not come 1st.

Did me a favour as I could not believe that I was getting 8/1 for brazil to win the title.

Well they finished 13 points behind Argentina and just 3 points ahead of 6th place.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Breffni39 Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:
patrique wrote:

Well they finished 13 points behind Argentina and just 3 points ahead of 6th place.

Exactly, it was their worst qualification campaign ever and the Brazilian F.A. must have a Skybox and a Guardian subscription as they sacked the manager with five games left and brought in Scolari.
Breffni39
Breffni39
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cavan
Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

[quote="clash-of-da-ash"]
patrique wrote:

And qualified.

Like the domestic leagues, you qualify for Europe.Milan have won 2 or 3 CLs since they last won a league.

winning the domestic league is a recipe for getting sacked, a la Capello, Mancini, Mourinho, Del Bosque..........

You simply qualify, and save money.

Like Wenger and Arsenal.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 pm

RMDrive wrote:Have watched the first 35 minutes of this game so far. Apart from scoring an easy goal that was solely the product of poor marking, he has been average at best. Presume I'm going to watch a fantastic performance over the next 55 min.

You sound like one of those experts who feels cheated if Joe Canning only gets 2-6 as opposed to his usual 4-16
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Well well Lionel ......... anonymous tonight. Fair play to Jose - he may not produce the most entertaining teams but its hard to argue with their effectiveness and results. Barca have it all to do - and will probably need a Messi show - pressure is on the lad.

ps Not an Italian in sight in the starting XI !!!!!! Amazing!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Great game. Victory and well done to 'The Special One' Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_smile Tie not over yet, 2nd leg should be a cracker. Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 am

In fairness to Barca, UEFA did them no favours by forcing them to travel 600 mile on a coach for such a big match. I'd be pretty certain that that had an effect, although Inter were always going to make it harder for them to play than English teams do.

Itisnt over yet though - the Camp Nou pitch is huge, and they will go after Inter from the start. This could still go either way.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Pretty poor stuff there tonight. Lyons were shocking and looked like a team that travelled to Munich in a dozen Citroen Dyanes. Bayern are a very ordinary team with typical German technique, organisation and doggedness - vorsprung durch technik I think they call it. I'd say the red nosed one was crying in his whiskey (sorry whisky - tis surely scotch) tonight. Looks like the final won't be up to much - the best possible final among the last 4 was Inter-Barca. As a neutral - and with respect to Milan - I hope Barca overcome them. If so I expect a one-sided Final - but at least one where we can sit back and admire the skill of the Catalonians.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Pretty poor stuff there tonight. Lyons were shocking and looked like a team that travelled to Munich in a dozen Citroen Dyanes. Bayern are a very ordinary team with typical German technique, organisation and doggedness - vorsprung durch technik I think they call it. I'd say the red nosed one was crying in his whiskey (sorry whisky - tis surely scotch) tonight. Looks like the final won't be up to much - the best possible final among the last 4 was Inter-Barca. As a neutral - and with respect to Milan - I hope Barca overcome them. If so I expect a one-sided Final - but at least one where we can sit back and admire the skill of the Catalonians.

Any of the 4 team would be worthy champions..Don't believe what dunphy or giles says...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm

mullins wrote:Any of the 4 team would be worthy champions..Don't believe what dunphy or giles says...

I never do m - never. Grumps may be the messiah on Newstalk but I prefer someone who knows what they are talking about instead of spouting stuff to be either a) populist or b) controversial.

I am calling in on what I saw. A decent game last night with two very good sides, technically and tonight's offering - two ordinary sides in what was a game of very poor quality considering the competition and the stage its at.

But I respect that whoever wins it will be a worthy champ - which is always the case (except when Ulster teams win Sam Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_twisted ) - but I like my football played the beautiful way - the way I played it! Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_cool
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm starting to think Real's transfers last summers were the greatest gaffes in sport in recent years, selling Robben and Sneider! For Fook sake. Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Fresse A fair chance that that pair will carry their new teams to the Bernabau in May. Which is somewhat Ironic.

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
mullins wrote:Any of the 4 team would be worthy champions..Don't believe what dunphy or giles says...

I never do m - never. Grumps may be the messiah on Newstalk but I prefer someone who knows what they are talking about instead of spouting stuff to be either a) populist or b) controversial.

I am calling in on what I saw. A decent game last night with two very good sides, technically and tonight's offering - two ordinary sides in what was a game of very poor quality considering the competition and the stage its at.

But I respect that whoever wins it will be a worthy champ - which is always the case (except when Ulster teams win Sam Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_twisted ) - but I like my football played the beautiful way - the way I played it! Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_cool

Who was that with Home Farm Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_smile
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 pm

God no - You had to be shaving at 11, 6'4" at 12 and be signed to a club in the First Division at 13 (showing my age here Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin ) to get a game for them. Altogether more earthy but quite a Niall Quinn in my day - without the disco pants!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:God no - You had to be shaving at 11, 6'4" at 12 and be signed to a club in the First Division at 13 (showing my age here Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin ) to get a game for them. Altogether more earthy but quite a Niall Quinn in my day - without the disco pants!

Loved playing them in the cups..Could never work out why they had so many big players..... Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_razz Wfta then
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 pm

twas a poor game alright - Lyon had no belief in themselves even with an extra man and it was inevitable the ref was going to level the teams up at the first opportunity.

Couldnt help but laugh at Ribery getting red - he couldnt help himself against United when it came to getting the young full back Da Silva sent off in fact he virtually brandished the second yellow himself that night - these things tend to come back to bite ya at some stage.

The final will be a non event - though as JC says the hope is Barca come through in their semi - watching Milan against Bayern would be like watching Kilkenny footballers play London except you'd have more chance of a score in the soccerball game Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 pm

mullins wrote:Loved playing them in the cups..Could never work out why they had so many big players..... Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_razz Wfta then

No but played against them in the Community Games U13. Got man of the match but they named my twin instead. He was a sub! Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

bocerty wrote:The final will be a non event - though as JC says the hope is Barca come through in their semi - watching Milan against Bayern would be like watching Kilkenny footballers play London except you'd have more chance of a score in the soccerball game Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Certainly not Messi  ... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Yaw - that's the way I'd see it Boc. And if Leinster or Munster don't make the Heino Cup final (very possible) then the 22nd will be a damp squib (whatever that is).
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:09 am

I like Barca but I hope Jose gets to final. A great manager and a very good footballing team.If to just annoy Sky.If Bayern so bad, then Man. U are awful not to mention Arsenal after the drubbing they got from Barca. Its going to be a special final in Madrid.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

Real Kerry Fan wrote:If Bayern so bad, then Man. U are awful not to mention Arsenal after the drubbing they got from Barca.

Correct.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:I like Barca but I hope Jose gets to final. A great manager and a very good footballing team.If to just annoy Sky.If Bayern so bad, then Man. U are awful not to mention Arsenal after the drubbing they got from Barca. Its going to be a special final in Madrid.

using that comparison Kerry and Cork footballers must be awful too as both were beaten by a team who were relegated from division 1 Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm

bocerty wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:I like Barca but I hope Jose gets to final. A great manager and a very good footballing team.If to just annoy Sky.If Bayern so bad, then Man. U are awful not to mention Arsenal after the drubbing they got from Barca. Its going to be a special final in Madrid.

using that comparison Kerry and Cork footballers must be awful too as both were beaten by a team who were relegated from division 1 Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

Sorry boc its only the league and I am sure Mickey is not as upset as 'Typical Nordies' Sir Alex!
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I think some of you are being very harsh on the sides that are left in. Inter are a good side, with good players. While perhaps not as technically gifted as Barca, players like Cesar, Samuel, Zanetti, Lucio, Maicon, Sneijder and, on form, Milito, would all be pushing strongly for a place on any club side in the world.

Bayern have scored plenty in the champions league this year, and I thought they were well worth their win over Man Utd. As for Lyon, well they haven't been as adventurous as they have in previous years, but surely they deserve credit for still mixing it with the top sides, after having their stars poached year after year by the big boys.

I can't believe that people actually believe that Man Utd, Liverpool and the other top English sides would have more to add to the competition than those left in at this stage. This is probably the worst Man Utd side in 20 years, Chelsea were played off the pitch at Stanford Bridge by Inter, Arsenal are too naive to win anything, and Liverpool aren't even in the top 4 in England, never mind Europe. Given the resources they have been squandering, these clubs should be ashamed of themselves to be out of Europe so early, but they all went out deservedly.

I thought the Inter/Barca game was a decent match, and the 2nd leg will be something to really look forward to, with Barca set to attack in droves. Bayern & Lyon are there as they beat the likes of Man Utd and Real Madrid along the way, so let's give some credit where it is due.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next