GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 3 Football games of the 00's

+4
Grenvile
3inarow08
bocerty
RMDrive
8 posters

Go down

Top 3 Football games of the 00's Empty Top 3 Football games of the 00's

Post  RMDrive Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 pm

I want to get a few games on disk so I want to get some opinions on what were the top 3 games of the 00's.
Tyrone Armagh?
Kerry Tyrone?
Galway Kerry?

All opinions welcome.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Top 3 Football games of the 00's Empty Re: Top 3 Football games of the 00's

Post  bocerty Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Tyrone Armagh 2005 semi final
Tyrone Dublin 2005 Q/F and repaly
Kerry Galway 2008 Q/F I think or was it the semi final
Kerry Meath 2001 semi final
Armagh Fermanagh 2004 Q/F
Mayo Dublin in 2006 s/f - how Dublin lost that game i will never know. Mind you how Tyrone threw away the game against Sligo in 2002 still mystifies me!!!!!

i have many of the Tyrone games on dvd RMD if you want i can copy them and forward them on.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:09 pm

bocerty wrote:Tyrone Armagh 2005 semi final
Mayo Dublin in 2006 s/f - how Dublin lost that game i will never know. Mind you how Tyrone threw away the game against Sligo in 2002 still mystifies me!!!!!

i have many of the Tyrone games on dvd RMD if you want i can copy them and forward them on.

Nothing good about that game Boc. It was too one-sided. There were plenty of other better one-sided games if you wanted to show off skill etc. (Tyrone v Dublin, Kerry v Dublin, Kerry v Mayo etc.)

Kerry v Galway 2008 and Mayo v Dublin 2006 are definites. I'd also go for Kerry v Armagh either 2001 or 2006. Definitely not 2002 though! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Mayo and Dublin was the best game of the OO's-without a doubt! What a match! I watched that game 8 times before the final-amazing! Mayo were on fire for the last quarter of an hour of that match. I'll never forget that match!

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:36 pm

Kerry v Galway 2008. What a game of football. I watched it in a bar in Germany. Was chatting to a French guy (this was pre-hand of Henry Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_biggrin ) so I explained the game to him and he watched it in amazement, he said he was a huge sports fan and couldnt believe a game of this standard existed and he had never watched it. The conditions, the lights, it was like a film!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Kerry v Galway 2008. What a game of football. I watched it in a bar in Germany. Was chatting to a French guy (this was pre-hand of Henry Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_biggrin ) so I explained the game to him and he watched it in amazement, he said he was a huge sports fan and couldnt believe a game of this standard existed and he had never watched it. The conditions, the lights, it was like a film!

It's always good seeing reaction like that from foreign people. It'd make you wonder how popular the game would be if it was advertised say for the example the way the Premiership or the Heineken Cup is advertised. I know it costs a lot of money but all the same.......
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:41 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
bocerty wrote:Tyrone Armagh 2005 semi final

Nothing good about that game Boc. It was too one-sided. There were plenty of other better one-sided games if you wanted to show off skill etc. (Tyrone v Dublin, Kerry v Dublin, Kerry v Mayo etc.)

Kerry v Galway 2008 and Mayo v Dublin 2006 are definites. I'd also go for Kerry v Armagh either 2001 or 2006. Definitely not 2002 though! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz

there was plenty good about it Triona believe me - any day Kerry get beat out the gate is a good day - of course games like that are either puke football blanket defence or bastardised gaelic
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:47 pm

bocerty wrote:
there was plenty good about it Triona believe me - any day Kerry get beat out the gate is a good day - of course games like that are either puke football blanket defence or bastardised gaelic

No, there wasn't. Neither am I saying it's puke football. All I'm saying is that as far as skill levels go, that game wasn't great and definitely would not be on my list to display football in all it's glory.

As for "any day Kerry get beat out the gate is a good day", your obsession with all things Kerry will have to stop. We're not the be-all and end-all of the GAA. There's 30 other counties out there. What happens when Kerry are not around challenging for the All Ireland (very unlikely, I know)? Will Tyrone just give up and not play anymore?

Last edited by 3inarow08 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I think 2001 Meath Kerry in terms of perfection (from a Meath perspective) was as good as it gets. They were awesome that day - Giles, McDermott, Geraghty - inexplicably they then lost the Final! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_scratch

Jonsmith - yeah the skill levels for Galway Kerry given the conditions were awesome. A good many years ago I took a Frenchman (a member of their foreign legion who had seen serious action in Angola) to a hurling game. He was mesmerised - and a bit scared I think! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:15 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I think 2001 Meath Kerry in terms of perfection (from a Meath perspective) was as good as it gets. They were awesome that day - Giles, McDermott, Geraghty - inexplicably they then lost the Final! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_scratch

Jonsmith - yeah the skill levels for Galway Kerry given the conditions were awesome. A good many years ago I took a Frenchman (a member of their foreign legion who had seen serious action in Angola) to a hurling game. He was mesmerised - and a bit scared I think! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz

I know what you mean Jayo, I work in a bar part time, we get a lot of tourists/English fishermen. It can be an interesting practice to watch a 6'4" rugby player wince constantly while watching a game of Hurling!

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 am

Jonsmith wrote:
I know what you mean Jayo, I work in a bar part time, we get a lot of tourists/English fishermen. It can be an interesting practice to watch a 6'4" rugby player wince constantly while watching a game of Hurling!

Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz Jon - I think it is the best field game in the world and sometimes I think its a shame that only a nation of 4 million enjoy it (and even a fraction of that!) - and then I think - sod it lets keep it to ourselves! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 am

Even if it did spread elsewhere it would be like Guinness; You'll only get it done properly in Ireland! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_biggrin The GAA should concentrate on developing it in the weaker counties. I was a part of the Cavan underage hurling squad for a brief period.. An absolute joke of a setup. I could tell you stories but you wouldn't believe them! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_redface

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Mayo V Dublin 06 if you were watching it in a pub in Mayo like me.

Galway V Kerry in 08 for brilliance.

Armagh V Kerry in 00.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 pm

patrique wrote:Mayo V Dublin 06 if you were watching it in a pub in Mayo like me.

Galway V Kerry in 08 for brilliance.

Armagh V Kerry in 00.

And me!! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_biggrin
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Not the same pub? Joe Mac's in Louisburgh?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 pm

patrique wrote:Not the same pub? Joe Mac's in Louisburgh?

No. Johnny McHales in Castlebar. I've had a pint in Joe Mac's though. I suspect it was a bit quieter than during the Dublin game though.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm

RMDrive wrote:
patrique wrote:Not the same pub? Joe Mac's in Louisburgh?

No. Johnny McHales in Castlebar. I've had a pint in Joe Mac's though. I suspect it was a bit quieter than during the Dublin game though.

Having been in Croker that day possibly the only worse play to be would have been ............. a pub in Mayo!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Good times. The Mayo folks are gas though. So full of hope and expectation all the time. You have to love it.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:11 pm

RMDrive wrote:Good times. The Mayo folks are gas though. So full of hope and expectation all the time. You have to love it.

Hmmmm - now who does that remind me of .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Good times. The Mayo folks are gas though. So full of hope and expectation all the time. You have to love it.

Hmmmm - now who does that remind me of .....

Knew there was a reason why they wanted it offshore
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:37 am

Since 1991 I have watched quite a few semi-finals, in both codes, in the Weir Hotel or Joe Mac's in Louisburgh.

When I first started going there Ulster were dominant in football with the three best sides in the country in Down, Derry and Donegal.

Wonder where it all went wrong.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 am

patrique wrote:Since 1991 I have watched quite a few semi-finals, in both codes, in the Weir Hotel or Joe Mac's in Louisburgh.

When I first started going there Ulster were dominant in football with the three best sides in the country in Down, Derry and Donegal.

Wonder where it all went wrong.

I'd say you are seeing slights where there was none.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Galway v Kerry draw 00 was a classic....
Mayo v Dublin another great match for the neutral and Mayo fans....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Going to see which of them I can get my hands on (have a good few of them already). If the worst comes to the worst I'll go to Boc's dodgy video dealership! Top 3 Football games of the 00's Icon_pirat
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Armagh v kerry (both games in 2000)

Armagh v Tyrone both first round games in 2002

Armagh v Dublin 2002

Armagh v kerry 2002

Donegal v Dublin 2002 (drawn game)

Armagh v Tyrone 2005

Dublin v Tyrone 2005

Dublin v mayo 2006

Armagh v kerry 2006 (standard was first class, Armagh could have been out of sight at half time, kicked themselves out of it. Kerry punished us in spectecular fashion in second half)

im sure there has been plenty more but as an armagh man those are the ones stand out for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down