GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football American style

+18
Mrs Spud
Loyal2TheRoyal
hurlingguru
Grenvile
RMDrive
Dr.Shephard
Thomas Clarke
clash-of-da-ash
OMAR
Swinford2009
Jayo Cluxton
mossbags
JimWexford
bocerty
Shinners
SamiPremier08
black&white
6inarow
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Football American style - Page 3 Empty Re: Football American style

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:An interesting article Boc although, conversely, a lot of people think that the game is becoming too soft of late! Defenders complain that they can no longer hit helmet to helmet, and the protection of quarterbacks has never been so evident. The new rules have led to teams passing the ball more, as receivers don't have to worry quite as much about being destroyed if they go to catch a ball thrown over the middle.

You should give the sport a chance (and cricket too!) - it's a great game when you get into it!

tried giving it a chance several times TC, sorry but i dont get it. How many of the 22 players actually touch the ball during a game. The breaks between play and all the hype that goes with the Americans would sicken by sh!t to be honest.

Does it really take much skill to be an American footballer, barring the Quarter back there is little or no skill necessary. I'd watch a rerun of last years Dublin v Donegal semi final on repeat before watching this crap.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm

I always find it strange that this sport provokes such strong reactions. People rarely give other sports such a rough time, but American Football always seems to get it. Still, each to their own.

Outside of the 8-9 linemen on either side, every other player could realistically be on the ball at some stage, particularly on the offense. I'd say that receivers with their catching ability display considerable skill, but I'd agree that in some positions the skill isn't as obvious as in, say, cricket.

But that isn't the type of game that it is. It is a physical game, and players are picked primarily for their physical attributes. In that regard, it has no equal in the world of field sports - physically, these guys are the best of the best. It is also a highly tactical game, one of the most tactical I can think of, something that I personally enjoy.

The breaks are a bit of a red-herring also. The Superbowl takes 30 minutes at half time, but all other games have 15 - same as soccer, rugby, GAA. The reason an American fooball match may takes 2.5-3 hours to complete largely comes down to the stopping of the clock. Soccer is played for 90 minutes, but the ball is rarely in play for more than 45-50 minutes, and God knows how much time is wasted in rugby with set-pieces. American Football fans are guaranteed 60 minutes of action, something you get in very few other games.

I think it's a great game and brilliantly run, but I do acknowledge that it completely polarises sportsfans.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I always find it strange that this sport provokes such strong reactions. People rarely give other sports such a rough time, but American Football always seems to get it. Still, each to their own.

Outside of the 8-9 linemen on either side, every other player could realistically be on the ball at some stage, particularly on the offense. I'd say that receivers with their catching ability display considerable skill, but I'd agree that in some positions the skill isn't as obvious as in, say, cricket.

But that isn't the type of game that it is. It is a physical game, and players are picked primarily for their physical attributes. In that regard, it has no equal in the world of field sports - physically, these guys are the best of the best. It is also a highly tactical game, one of the most tactical I can think of, something that I personally enjoy.

The breaks are a bit of a red-herring also. The Superbowl takes 30 minutes at half time, but all other games have 15 - same as soccer, rugby, GAA. The reason an American fooball match may takes 2.5-3 hours to complete largely comes down to the stopping of the clock. Soccer is played for 90 minutes, but the ball is rarely in play for more than 45-50 minutes, and God knows how much time is wasted in rugby with set-pieces. American Football fans are guaranteed 60 minutes of action, something you get in very few other games.

I think it's a great game and brilliantly run, but I do acknowledge that it completely polarises sportsfans.

is it really that tactical TC? Its a game i cant watch at all sorry but it brings boredom to new levels
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:44 pm

bocerty wrote:

is it really that tactical TC? Its a game i cant watch at all sorry but it brings boredom to new levels

It's one of the most tactical games there is. Virtually everything is pre-planned. Teams will have new plays each week, tailored to counter the strengths of their opponents, and to exploit their weaknesses. Coaches will do their best to plan for every little thing that can happen.
Every player on a team needs to have their wits about them to play.
For example, the oft-derided linemen need to know what type of block is required for each play, where a hole needs to be opened in the line for a rusher, if the quarterback is doing a 3, 5, or 7 step drop. Receivers often run routes that are designed to such detail that they know it's 10 steps then cut, and the ball will be thrown before they turn.
Easy to remember a play, but remembering 30/40 per game with different instructions for each?
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Extremely tactical game, even at low levels. I played for three years in the IAFL and we were always trying to out-think opponents.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Yeah, to echo Emmet and B&W, I can't think of any field sport that is more tactical. The players all have to study considerable amounts of tape before games, particularly the QBs and defensive generals, who will probably watch every snap their next opponents have played in the last year.

Some great games last night, particularly Washington and the Rams, where RG3 really does look like the real deal. The Rams have also had an encouraging start to the year, and I'm looking forward to seeing them play the Patriots at Wembley next month.

Having done nothing for the first 7 quarters of the season, the defending champion Giants suddenly sprung to life against the Bucs, but it is the 49ers who have been most impressive thus far, and their defence really does look like perhaps the best we've seen since the 2000 Ravens.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm

49ers look great. Also the Texans, despite the weak opposition, look quite strong.

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 pm

emmetryan wrote:49ers look great. Also the Texans, despite the weak opposition, look quite strong.

Had these sides been able to field even an average QB last January they would both have made the Superbowl. Matt Schaub's return could make the difference for the Texans this year, but I'd still worry about Alex Smith's ability to win against good sides.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

bald eagle wrote:Excellent round up TC, even though i haven't the foggiest what the most of it means! NFL means 1 thing.......Americas Game on telly again! Greatest sports doc ever! Fact!

Interesting you mentioned America's Game, BE, as the man behind it (and behind all of NFL Film productions), Steve Sabol, died yesterday. Sabol was a genius in that he was able to enthral casual observers of the sport, like yourself perhaps, by telling the stories behind the games in a way that people connected to. It sounds very simple, but it is a rare gift.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:55 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/16/peyton-manning-broncos-comeback-chargers

"In rolling back the years" headlines this week

1. Shane mcclaffertys performance in donegal junior A final
2. Adrian sweeneys four points for dungloe v glenswilly
3. Peyton mannings second half comeback
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 pm

84,004 was the attendance that flashed up on the big screen at Wembley on Sunday evening. A great turnout, a great family atmosphere, and a great performance by Tom Brady and the Patriots. I see that next year the NFL will have 2 games in London, with the Steelers playing the Vikings in September, followed by the 49ers v Jaguars a month later.

The Jaguars will be playing in London for each of the next 4 years, as the league try to see whether or not fans will start to develop a following for one particular side. The medium-longer term goal for all this is an NFL team in London, with 5-10 years being the generally accepted target for this to happen.

A couple more 80,000+ attendances next year and the money men in Jacksonville, St Louis a a couple of other cities will be seriously considering autumnal residences in London.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Tickets secured today for next year's games (Steelers v Vikings and 49ers v Jaguars).

We're now three-quarters through the regular season, and no side is emerging as a hot favourite to win the Superbowl. In the AFC, Houston look to be the top side, but it would be no shock to see New England, Denver, Baltimore or, if Big Ben comes bag, Pittsburg upsetting them.

In the NFC, things are even less clear. Atlanta have only lost one game, but still don't look convincing. The Packers and Giants are very erratic, while the 49ers, despite changing from Alex Smith to Colin Kaepernick, still don't have a top option at QB.

In other news, it was a sad week in the NFL, as Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker Jovan Belcher shot dead his girlfriend, before driving to the Chief's training facilities and shooting himself in front of his coach and general manager. Shocking stuff.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Very unusual season so far.

Houston the only AFC team to look strong all season so far, but still serious doubts about their ability in the playoffs, and about Shaub on a cold day in January.
Patriots quietly going about their business without being spectacular, but would have doubts about the defence.
Broncos growing in confidence as Peyton settles more and more into the team. 7 wins straight and Manning looking like a strong MVP contender. An injury to him or to Von Miller would kill the team.
Ravens have been quietly building up a good run as well, but don't look to have shown much improvement from past seasons.
Colts looking good under Luck, but probably are a season or two away from a return to being genuine contenders.

Atlanta looking like the pick of the NFC after the 49ers recent dip. Still have to prove they can win in January (especially outside a bowl).
San Fran almost look like they are planning for next season with all the messing at QB. Kaepernick looks like he could be very good with experience, but for now he looks too raw. Strange for a team that were considered Superbowl favourites in October, and are still virtually certain a playoff berth.
Giants are looking very inconsistent, but they have a habit of turning good in Dec/Jan.
Washington also inconsistent, but RG3 could take them past any team on any day. If they make the playoffs they could be a dark horse.
Packers are very hit and miss this season, but Rogers has been outstanding (his stats seem to have been overlooked due to the teams inconsitency). Another team that no one will fancy tackling in the playoffs.
Chicago need to sort out their offensive line. I Cutler got a bit more protection they'd probably have their playoff berth sealed by now.

All in all, there's no standout team so far. Although there are some potentially interesting playoff match-ups in there (mainly including the Broncos Laughing )

- Manning brothers could potentially come face to face, with the SB to be played in New Orleans where they grew up
- the Harbaugh brothers could become the first brothers to coach against each other in the Superbowl.
- current standings would bring the Colts to Mile-High to face their former leader
- Mike Shanahan could potentially lead his Redskins to face his former Superbowl-winning team (yet again-Denver) in the Superbowl.
- a rematch of last year's Giants-Patriots Superbowl (which would be their third in five years!)
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Give me women's football and camogie any day ...........
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm

A very good summary B&W, and I'll comment on a few points.

Houston Texans - It's interesting that you spoke about doubting Schaub on a cold January day. The Texans look like they will clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and there aren't any cold January days in Houston! Even if they did have to go to somewhere like New England or Baltimore, I'd actually say that the Texans, with Arien Foster and Ben Tate, are pretty well equipped to run the ball.

Denver Broncos - I know what you are saying about their reliance on Manning and the brilliant Von Miller, but you could say the same about almost all the remaining sides and their reliance on their starting QB (the exception being the 49ers who, by having 2 average QBs, wouldn't be unduly weakened if they lost one). Any side might win a on-off game with a back-up, but they won't win 3-4 in a row enroute to a Superbowl.

San Francisco 49ers - Harbaugh made his decision to ditch Alex Smith 11 months ago. Smith completed only 1 pass to a receiver when the 49ers narrowly lost to the Giants. His pursuit of Manning in the off-season confirmed that Harbaugh doesn't rate Alex Smith, and rightly so. Forget about planning for next year - the 49ers view Kaepernick as the better option this season as well.

Green Bay Packers - The Packers need their men back. They have so many injuries at present, but they could go on a run if they are healthy in January.

Indianapolis, Washington, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and Cincinatti are all still in the playoff hunt, but none of them will be in the Superbowl.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-peyton-manning-congratulates-ray-lewis-after-ravens-win-20130113,0,1135153.story
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:45 pm

OMAR wrote:http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-peyton-manning-congratulates-ray-lewis-after-ravens-win-20130113,0,1135153.story

Fair play to Peyton. He was one of the most guilty parties in a team meltdown last night, losing a game that was seemingly firmly in their grasp, but a touch of class to wait on to have a chat with fellow legend Lewis.

2 very good games last night, and another unfolding at present between Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons. Falcons up by 20 points going into the 4th quarter, but now only leading by 6 with 5 minutes left....

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Incredible game - Seattle now lead 28-27 with 30 seconds left. Back-from-the-dead stuff.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Atlanta marched down the field and put themselves in the position to kick a 49 yard game winning field goal with 8 seconds left.

Seattle had one last throw for the endzone as time expired, but it was caught by a Falcon.

30-28 Atlanta win - unreal!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Atlanta marched down the field and put themselves in the position to kick a 49 yard game winning field goal with 8 seconds left.

Seattle had one last throw for the endzone as time expired, but it was caught by a Falcon.

30-28 Atlanta win - unreal!

pesky f**king birds spoiling a good game, if its not beach balls and dogs its birds
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm

bocerty wrote: pesky f**king birds spoiling a good game...

Ah now Boc, don't get me started on ladies football!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Tis a better game than any of these American 'lets build a sport around a TV revenue generating scam' efforts ..... Shocked
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Parouisa wrote:Tis a better game than any of these American 'lets build a sport around a TV revenue generating scam' efforts ..... Shocked

Chest-beating, debate-killing, alpha male...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Parouisa wrote:Tis a better game than any of these American 'lets build a sport around a TV revenue generating scam' efforts ..... Shocked

+1
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/americans-can-teach-english-clubs-true-meaning-of-fair-play-3353714.html

Good article here by James Lawton, Chief Sports Writer in the Independent, examining the differences between the NFL and the EPL.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next