GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football American style

+18
Mrs Spud
Loyal2TheRoyal
hurlingguru
Grenvile
RMDrive
Dr.Shephard
Thomas Clarke
clash-of-da-ash
OMAR
Swinford2009
Jayo Cluxton
mossbags
JimWexford
bocerty
Shinners
SamiPremier08
black&white
6inarow
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Football American style Empty Football American style

Post  6inarow Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:40 pm

As the season is starting this weeknd I thought I'd ask is anyone out there a fan of American Football? Which team do you follow? How did you end up following them? And if yu're a gambler who do you think will win the Superbowl?

Personally I was lumbered with following the Los Angeles now St Louis Rams thanks to an uncle who used to live out in LA. He broughT me a Rams jersey back from the States one Christmas and I've kept an eye on them ever since. They used to be rubbish, then they were brilliant and now they're worse than when they were rubbish!

I've got to say say I enjoy the sport but I know it's not to everyone's tastes.

I'd be looking at maybe New England, Pittsburgh or Baltimore to win it this year. If Tom Brady stays fit all year I'd say New England.

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Football American style Empty Re: Football American style

Post  black&white Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I'd be a fan as well. Broncos are my team, have friends in Denver and have been over to them and been at a few games.
I'd agree that the Patriots look strong this year, but I'd have a sneaky suspicion that the Colts are due one of their big seasons again this season.
Steelers won't be as strong as last year, they didn't look very imaginative on Thurs night, and I feel that they could struggle to get their running game going with so many teams moving to the 3-4 defence this week.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

I think it's crap.

The American President saw a game of rugby and declared it too dangerous and therefore introduced the forward pass and massive amounts of body armour.

So when the Yanks make out how tough they are someone should remind them that it's basically rugby for pansies.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Can't stand the sport to be honest would rather stick pins in my eyes.................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:33 am

Watch out for the bears got a 1/4back now.
NE will be there so to the steelers potential conference final
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Shinners wrote:Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!
The Seahawks are my team. Was in Seattle on hols the year they went all the way to the Superbowl so I follow them.

I think my Rams were on holiday there too, 28 - 0, it's going to be a long year!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:36 pm

6inarow wrote:
Shinners wrote:Watching the Redskins @ Giants at the mo! Both teams a bit cagey starting off but could be a good game!

I think my Rams were on holiday there too, 28 - 0, it's going to be a long year!

Early days yet, but the Rams do look like they're going to do their best to equal Detroit's record from last season
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:56 pm

black&white wrote:
6inarow wrote:

Early days yet, but the Rams do look like they're going to do their best to equal Detroit's record from last season

not possible don't think antone can go without winning again
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:26 pm

We have to play Detroit this year so if we don't win that one it might just be possible!

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Was a fan of the 49ers in my youth. Montana was some man to throw a ball and the wide reciever, think his name was Gerry Rice if memory serves was pure class. The old man used to let me stay up late to watch it on Ch 4 but kind of lost track of it since it went to Sky Sports as cant be bothered with that. Think its a great sport though, if anyone has any good links to games dont hesitate to throw them up
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13 pm

6inarow wrote:Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

Are they brief cos its a s***e game and so there are little or no highlights??? Football American style Icon_twisted

4 quarters of 20 minutes that take six hours to play and a guy coming on with a jockstrap to kick a ball over a bar that Gooch would do with a blindfold on .....

Fan - moi - I don't think so ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 pm

6inarow wrote:Moss, you can get brief game by game highlights of the weekends action on www.nfl.com every week.

Are the cheerleaders included in these highlights Turlough?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:28 am

mossbags wrote:

Are the cheerleaders included in these highlights Turlough?

Moss there's a whole different section for the cheerleaders Football American style Icon_biggrin

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 am

huge fan of NFL.delighted the season is back on. big NYJ fan cause i have relations in New York and have always loved New York city.dont ask why i chose Jets over Giants, just did. Could be heading into a good year this year.not gonna make superbowl but if we at least get a playoff victory then il be happy.

San Diego Chargers or New England Patriots to win superbowl. depends on who has the better year,LaDanian Tomlinkson or Tom Brady
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Bump

American Football is back on Channel 4. I used to be mad into this when I was a sprog. Have a soft spot for the 49ers but haven't really been following it much the last few years. The return of action to C4 is a great excuse to stay up all night on Sundays now.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/onion-sports-2010-nfl-teambyteam-guide,18023/?slide=4
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Haven't followed this in years
Used to be a big fan in the eighties

Walter Payton, Montana to Rice - Young to Rice - Dion Sanders - John elway - The 49ers two minute drill - Emmet Smith etc etc.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 pm

Going to go for the Cincinnati Bengals this year, more than likely a team the hasn't won it in the last 10 years will win it this year, there is at least 10 teams capable of going on a good run and winning the Superbowl.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:54 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Going to go for the Cincinnati Bengals this year, more than likely a team the hasn't won it in the last 10 years will win it this year, there is at least 10 teams capable of going on a good run and winning the Superbowl.

The beauty of the NFL is that it is wide open every year, as a result of the salary cap, free agency and draft system (admittedly the salary cap is suspended this year).

I have a feeling that Dallas could go well, despite them losing their first 2 games, and also like the look of Green Bay and Baltimore. Pittsburgh are a better side than they looked at the end of last year, and they could well be in the mix again, especially with Rothleisburger to come back later in the season.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I think the Packers will be the team to beat this year. Rogers seems to be maturing into an outstanding QB, and the team has no obvious weaknesses.

After last night's blow-out the Jets could make a surprise burst, but I think Sanchez needs another season or two to gain some consistency.

I reckon the Eagles could be this year's surprise package, Vick seems to be finding the form that he showed in Atlanta and could provide the intangible to bring them to the playoffs, but they need to bench Kolb before he will start regularly.

The Bronco's are another team who could be dark horses for a Championship game. Orton seems to have settled into the team nicely, and McDaniels seems to have found his feet as a head coach. They ahve a good running game, and I can see Tim Tebow taking more and more snaps as the season progresses. Like Vick, Tebow brings something different to the offence, and he's an exciting option for them.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Shephard Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:I think it's crap.

The American President saw a game of rugby and declared it too dangerous and therefore introduced the forward pass and massive amounts of body armour.

So when the Yanks make out how tough they are someone should remind them that it's basically rugby for pansies.

That is one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this site.
You shouldn't comment on a game you know nothing about.

The first bet I ever had on the NFL was adouble with the Bears and the Jets. Kinda follow both since but don't support anyone as such.

Brilliant game once you take time to understand it. Try watching the repeat on Skysports on the Monday.
It still shows the full game but without all the breaks.
Dr.Shephard
Dr.Shephard
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Leitrim
Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 am

Well, as predicted by myself and B&W, the Packers and Steelers have made the superbowl, for what will be the most-watched sporting event in the world this year.

Few sports divide public opinion on this side of the Atlantic as much as American Football but, Sunday's game should be a mighty battle between 2 of the NFLs traditional giants. And for those of you who don't enjoy the game itself, there's always Fergie (no, Patrique, not that one, nor the other one who married Prince Andrew either) who will be performing during the half-time show.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 pm

I like the big QB - Rothlessberger (not even close I know). I saw a game earlier this season where he got his nose broke during the game and played on no bother. He looks big and awkward but he seems pretty good. So I'll go for whichever team he plays for (Steelers I think).
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

black&white wrote:I think the Packers will be the team to beat this year. Rogers seems to be maturing into an outstanding QB, and the team has no obvious weaknesses.

After last night's blow-out the Jets could make a surprise burst, but I think Sanchez needs another season or two to gain some consistency.

I reckon the Eagles could be this year's surprise package, Vick seems to be finding the form that he showed in Atlanta and could provide the intangible to bring them to the playoffs, but they need to bench Kolb before he will start regularly.

The Bronco's are another team who could be dark horses for a Championship game. Orton seems to have settled into the team nicely, and McDaniels seems to have found his feet as a head coach. They ahve a good running game, and I can see Tim Tebow taking more and more snaps as the season progresses. Like Vick, Tebow brings something different to the offence, and he's an exciting option for them.

Cough, cough........ just ignore the last paragraph, lack of oxygen at altitude went to my head
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next