GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

colin corkery

+4
JimWexford
GAA-Fan
macattack
old98!
8 posters

Go down

colin corkery Empty colin corkery

Post  old98! Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am

Can anyone tell me does this legend still play club football or any information on him??
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford
Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

colin corkery Empty Re: colin corkery

Post  macattack Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am

I don't think so, but I bet he could still tap frees over the bar for fun. Was my favorite player by a mile growing up!

I'd say he must be stuck in Nemo somehow, maybe one of the junior sides, would be unreal for a young fella to play with him!
macattack
macattack
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cork
Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  old98! Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 am

i couldnt even imagine playin with him that would be an experience he was a fine lump of a man loved watching him

and remember Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh saying Lazarus was a a fine man but he couldnt kick points like colin corkery. think it was colin he said it about anyway
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue May 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Great player considering he was a big man. Cant remember who it was against (2002) but he scored a fantastic point. He made scoring points look easy!!
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue May 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Administrator wrote:Great player considering he was a big man. Cant remember who it was against (2002) but he scored a fantastic point. He made scoring points look easy!!

he wasn't always a big man, he contacted a rare blood disease that made his weight ballon up was with Nemo up till a few years back--old a certain foxy chap would of played with him.
Was part of a fitness programe there last year when the Nemo team of years gone by played the current minor team of that year.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  horn neck Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Not sure if he still plays with Nemo, I remember him running the Dublin City Marathon 2 years ago. Serious footballer!
horn neck
horn neck
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Wicklow
Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  old98! Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 pm

that fine lad now plays in america works in new york we went down to watch him when he came back from his leg break but corkery was injured that day was only 20 yards away he sure is a big man jim didnt he hurt himself havin a trial for aussie rules whwn he was around 20 or so???
old98!
old98!
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Anyone know is Briege Corkery his sister?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Anyone know is Briege Corkery his sister?

No.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm

No I don't know, that is.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue May 19, 2009 2:23 pm

He was a bit of a superstar with his name on his boots. Was lucky enough to see him play once in a Munster Final, Galway hurlers were playing Cork after the final. He sent over some a few good points and he had a pair of white boots the same day.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 19, 2009 2:26 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:He was a bit of a superstar with his name on his boots. Was lucky enough to see him play once in a Munster Final, Galway hurlers were playing Cork after the final. He sent over some a few good points and he had a pair of white boots the same day.

On a side note, as far as I know all the boots were auctioned for charity after each game Clash.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  aidangalway Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Corkery was class. He made it look simple, catch ball, kick it over crossbar. Easy really!! A few of the Fermanagh forwards should be made to watch videos of him after every training session, to show them that it isn't necessary to play 2 million handpasses before each shooting attempt, and that it isn't actually that difficult to kick the ball over the bloody bar.

He also left Spillane with egg on his face on the Sunday Game live show one Sunday. Spillane, on noticing Corkery's somewhat rotund appearance, declared that this man wasn't fit and shouldn't be playing (I don't think he even put it quite that nicely!). Corkery went out and kicked about 6 or 7 points in the first half, left and right foot from all angles. Lyster and the boys had a good old laugh at our Pat during the half time interval. Thing is, despite his size and weight Corkery was deceptively quick.

aidangalway
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

galway
Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

aidangalway wrote: Thing is, despite his size and weight Corkery was deceptively quick.

My team mates always said I had deceptive pace - apparently I was moving even slower than it looked ......... pale
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri May 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Since Corkery didn't rely on his pace, he was more about finding space and accurate at kicking. This meant he could play into his 30's.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down