GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest Of Ulster hurling team

4 posters

Go down

Rest Of Ulster hurling team Empty Rest Of Ulster hurling team

Post  North Side Gael Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 pm

I remember a few weeks back a proposal for an all ulster team by the gpa rejected by antrim but there was no reason this could not go ahead without them.

With the right men in charge, the right attitude and calender time, this team could go places, they could play off v a rest of connaught and kerry team, and a rest of leinster team in a 3 way battle for a place in a provincial quarter final, could bring more aspirations to players in tyrone fermanagh armagh donegal monghan or cavan.

Could be a new promotional tool to promote the game in hurlingless areas.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Rest Of Ulster hurling team Empty Re: Rest Of Ulster hurling team

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Here, you have enough new hurling ideas of your own, so quit trying to steal mine. I wrote this last July:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thomas Clarke wrote:
You need to forget about Antrim, and think about an amalgamated Ulster team. Why would any talented athlete from Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh, Cavan, Monaghan, or Donegal take up hurling over football? Nevermind that they will never play in an AI final, their chances of even winning an Ulster title are slim. Top athletes in the vast majority of counties in Ireland will almost always pick football (or other sports) over hurling, as it gives them a chance of success.

Hurling will continue to decline until people stop trying to improve the Tyrone/Monaghan/Armagh hurling teams, and start trying to improve the quality of hurlers within those counties, irrespective of who they end up representing.
Thomas Clarke wrote:If all you aim to do, is give a Tyrone lad the hope that one day he will be playing for a side who might be on a par with Laois, forget it.

Most athletic young lads in Tyrone, Mayo, Meath or Armagh will not lift a hurl if all they can aspire to is playing against Laois in front of 1,500 people. You have to give them the dream of playing in a major final in front of 80,000. Then hurling may have a chance of becoming their sport of choice.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 am

Rest Of Ulster hurling team Clamp11
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:18 pm

While I still believe a rest of ulster team is a good idea in principal and in interim. Your post may have merit Fermanagh concentrated on what they have got and their improvements have been massive. I still think a rest of ulster team started at u14 trained properly could go places.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

While a great idea it would be a logistical nightmare.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

bald eagle wrote:While a great idea it would be a logistical nightmare.

Speaking of logistical nightmares, any word on Kevin McGuckian's responses? I asked him 7 questions, and am beginning to feel like he's ignoring me! Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Ha, who says i put them forward? Very Happy

Must get in touch with him to see if he's near finished them.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down