GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ciaran McDonald

+5
rich dublin
mossbags
Shinners
Swinford2009
bald eagle
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ciaran McDonald Empty Ciaran McDonald

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:59 am

I'm sure you all know by now of the rumours surrounding his return. I personally think it would be great but as far as I know, it's a long shot. I would love to see him come back. He's a top class player, always was always will be. The only problem he has is he's his own person. He won't be bossed around. My neighbour told me an awful funny story regarding him with a Crossmolina match, it just showed that he's his own boss.
Mayo need a couple of the veterans like that. I know Nallen, Heaney and Aidan Higgins are back but McDonald is class aswell. You can't help but remember his point in the 2006 All-Ireland semi-final. He's really a lovely guy both on and off the field and he brings experience to the squad. I'd love to see him back. I know Johnno has trouble trying to pin him down but McD is dedicated to his work aswell.
All in all, McDonald should come back. He went through an awful time of it there which even led to him doing his first interview with the paper and he really dislikes that sort of stuff so it was hard on him. A year has passed now, coming on two this July, so I think it's time we had our man back. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Ciaran McDonald Empty Re: Ciaran McDonald

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 am

I agree. He's a talent that shouldn't be wasted over a stupid squabble. Mayo need him as a forward, but as experience too-I'm sick of it at this stage

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 am

What a player, i really hope we see him grace the pitch this season! By far IMHO the most gifted player of his generation.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 am

bald eagle wrote:What a player, i really hope we see him grace the pitch this season! By far IMHO the most gifted player of his generation.

He makes any match that bit more interesting! His ease when he kicks outstanding points is really something to behold-and he's not doing too badly for his club i can tell ya! Johnno should swallow his pride and get him back on the team-he doesnt have that many years left in him, and johnno should know that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 am

He could get on any county team. He was Crossmolina's best player last season and it's a shame we missed out on that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 am

the man is a pure genius with a football in his hands and he brings the best out of most of the players around him, eg. Conor Mort!

Many people may argue that he is getting on in years but skill can overcome that, just look at Ryan Giggs. ALl you have to do is stick McDonald on the '50 and get him to stay there. he can hit points from there or thereabouts and he can spray the ball all around the forwards.

The only thing i would be afraid of with McDonald is that he would start doing what he used to do and end up at his own endline trying to get the ball. he would be no good there and needs to be MADE stay in the forwards where he can be the difference between winning and losing.

If Nallen and Heaney both still have the legs for it then McDonald definietly does. He's the same age as Heaney and about 1 year or two younger than Nallen

BRING BACK THE MAC!!
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:16 am

Swinford2009 wrote:the man is a pure genius with a football in his hands and he brings the best out of most of the players around him, eg. Conor Mort!

Many people may argue that he is getting on in years but skill can overcome that, just look at Ryan Giggs. ALl you have to do is stick McDonald on the '50 and get him to stay there. he can hit points from there or thereabouts and he can spray the ball all around the forwards.

The only thing i would be afraid of with McDonald is that he would start doing what he used to do and end up at his own endline trying to get the ball. he would be no good there and needs to be MADE stay in the forwards where he can be the difference between winning and losing.

If Nallen and Heaney both still have the legs for it then McDonald definietly does. He's the same age as Heaney and about 1 year or two younger than Nallen

BRING BACK THE MAC!!

I totally agree with ya. Especially with him bringing the best out of Mortimer. Conor Mort hasnt played his best since 2006, when McDonald was a first teamer. We need Ciaran back-it's as simple as. Especially now as our young players are being recruited by the Aussies. Tom Parsons going to one of their training camps-Adidan O' Shea will be next I tell ya. At this stage, Johnno is seriously annoying me. His priority should be to pick theplayers who deserve to be on the team and who will make a difference-McDonald fits under that category. He should forget whatever happenend between them, Swallow his pride and Feckin' get that fella back on the team. If it was any other manager, he would have been fired by now. This is his record in the Championship:

2007: L W L
2008: W L L
Total: L-4 W-2

The matches they won were against Cavan in 2007 and Sligo in 2008. This is just not good enough. Their Midfield is very good, with Parsons and McGarrity. Their defence was unbelievably poor in 2007 particularly, but now it's not too bad. Their forwards are improving. Austin O'Malley ia a player i'm really excited about. His points that he scores are so skillful-he never goes for the easy option!!

But as I say, Ciaran McDonald should be on the team. Whether youre from Mayo or not, Everybody like to see him play. He adds flow to a game and makes it that bit more interesting!

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinners Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:11 pm

He's 34 this year so he hasn't that many years left. It's a shame he left under the cloud he did rather than going out on a high that would've befitted his unique talent
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:02 pm

He's a bottler. Always has been always will be. He also fancies himself a bit too much.
Would be disappointing on JOMs part if he were to cave in to the naive pressure coming from within Mayo from people who are more intent on looking backwards than looking forwards.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:26 pm

mossbags wrote:He's a bottler. Always has been always will be. He also fancies himself a bit too much.
Would be disappointing on JOMs part if he were to cave in to the naive pressure coming from within Mayo from people who are more intent on looking backwards than looking forwards.

Was he a bottler when he scored the winning point in the latter stages of semi v Dublin? And what do you mean he 'Fancies himself a bit too much'? What in any way has that got to do with what we're talking about? And how are we looking backwards by wanting him back. He was in the mayo team in 2007, only 2 years ago and he is playing unbelievable stuff for Crossmolina-so we want him back to play that sort of stuff fr mayo. Mossbags, please be sensible about this and dont make this an excuse for a tonguelashing on Mayo people and their players....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:27 pm

mossbags wrote:He's a bottler. Always has been always will be. He also fancies himself a bit too much.

You're totally wrong, but you're from Galway so it's expected.
He's one of the most talented footballers in the country. His points in the 2006 semi-final were crucial and the best points hit I've ever seen in my life. He was Crossmolina's best player last year and if it wasn't for his work committments and the misunderstandings that followed he would of been playing with Mayo last year.

Also, saying that he fancies himself is the biggest pile of rubbish I've ever heard in my life. What evidence did you base that statement on? This is the man who made his first interview for a paper last year when the disagreement arose and he only made it to tell peple he wasn't the one who chose not to be on the team. He is the most modest man ever, so I don't know what you're talking about. Don't make comments about players you don't even know. A bit of slagging from neighbouring counties is okay but don't make comments aimed at attacking a player personally. They're not professionals, so they shouldn't have to be exposed to the same crap as soccer players are directed with.

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:33 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Was he a bottler when he scored the winning point in the latter stages of semi v Dublin? And what do you mean he 'Fancies himself a bit too much'? What in any way has that got to do with what we're talking about? And how are we looking backwards by wanting him back. He was in the mayo team in 2007, only 2 years ago and he is playing unbelievable stuff for Crossmolina-so we want him back to play that sort of stuff fr mayo. Mossbags, please be sensible about this and dont make this an excuse for a tonguelashing on Mayo people and their players....

Im being perfectly sensible here(for once!) dearest Esther. If Mayo are truly serious about winning all-irelands then digging up over the hill,bleach-haired fancy dans who might have 'issues' and who were never good enough in the first place is not the way to be going about it.
Of course he scored that point against Dublin. The only team more certain of bottling than Mayo are the Dubs so its not really saying a whole lot.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Mossbags, you obviously have some issues with Mayo, but unlike you i'm not going to resort to criticising the galway players and launching personal attacks on them. Mossbags, all you have said is that effectively 'he's a bottler, fancies himself and has bleached hair'. what a contribution Mossbags-clap clap. Mossbags, please post with a bit of common sense and decency and dont use this thread as an excuse to badmouth mayo because you're from Galway-Grow up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Hmmmmmmm may I remind you of Galway the team who through away a seven point lead to these 'bottlers' you talk of.
Up Mayo cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Mossbags, you obviously have some issues with Mayo, but unlike you i'm not going to resort to criticising the galway players and launching personal attacks on them. Mossbags, all you have said is that effectively 'he's a bottler, fancies himself and has bleached hair'. what a contribution Mossbags-clap clap. Mossbags, please post with a bit of common sense and decency and dont use this thread as an excuse to badmouth mayo because you're from Galway-Grow up.

If you'd care to examine the point I was making rather than allow yourself to be so easily offended on behalf of Mayo you might have noticed that everything I said was true. Namely Mayo are looking backwards not forwards, the pressure on JoM to re-instate CM is mis-placed and naive and that the player himself was never good enough at the very highest level.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 pm

mossbags wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Mossbags, you obviously have some issues with Mayo, but unlike you i'm not going to resort to criticising the galway players and launching personal attacks on them. Mossbags, all you have said is that effectively 'he's a bottler, fancies himself and has bleached hair'. what a contribution Mossbags-clap clap. Mossbags, please post with a bit of common sense and decency and dont use this thread as an excuse to badmouth mayo because you're from Galway-Grow up.

If you'd care to examine the point I was making rather than allow yourself to be so easily offended on behalf of Mayo you might have noticed that everything I said was true. Namely Mayo are looking backwards not forwards, the pressure on JoM to re-instate CM is mis-placed and naive and that the player himself was never good enough at the very highest level.

Now I know you're not serious Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm

mossbags wrote:

That's your opinion. Case closed. But i dont agree with how you personally attacked him, about his appearance and what 'you think' he thinks of himself. There was absolutly no need for it whatsoever and it undermines the point you are trying to get across....

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:05 pm

actually a good argument there, moss i can see your point with Mac but i dont care if he does fancy himself or what haircut he wears, and girls he is a little into himself you have to admit espeacially outside of the field ( legond has it anyway) but who cares his skill level is without doubt the greatest i have ever seen a wonderfull talent,

is he too old to come back though? and would there be any clammer to have him back in the squad if hanley had not gone to Oz?

the only thing i would worry about from a mayo persective is that if he were to come back and he isnt up to the intercounty game would it have a massive phycological effect on the rest of the mayo players?
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:12 pm

rich dublin wrote:actually a good argument there, moss i can see your point with Mac but i dont care if he does fancy himself or what haircut he wears, and girls he is a little into himself you have to admit espeacially outside of the field ( legond has it anyway) but who cares his skill level is without doubt the greatest i have ever seen a wonderfull talent,

is he too old to come back though? and would there be any clammer to have him back in the squad if hanley had not gone to Oz?

the only thing i would worry about from a mayo persective is that if he were to come back and he isnt up to the intercounty game would it have a massive phycological effect on the rest of the mayo players?

He's a quiet lad but he's totally sound. Lovely fella, great player. I don't think if he didn't play well it would have a big effect on the team because Heaney, Nallen and Higgins are there aswell, so I don't think it would be that big a deal. Anyway, the way he was playing for Crossmolina, he'd play well for Mayo aswell again. I don't think he's too old too. Look at Joyce for Galway, that fella looks about 50 ( I know he's really 20 years younger) but he's still playing good - can't bring myself to say great. So, McDonald is needed and was needed last year. Hanley was a great loss but I think McDonald still would have made it. Looks like Parsons will be leaving too. Those flippin aussies. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Be careful what you say now Rich. The whole of Mayo is watching!
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:15 pm

McDonald is up to it, simple as. He is playing outstanding stuff for crossmolina-so that goes without saying. His personal life has nothing to do with the argument to have him back, mossy. Stick to the point.

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 pm

one or two points on this girls, first esther your personal life has a huge role to play when playing county football, if you are not living right you will never be up to it at county level, by that i mean, eating right at the right times, rest, work everything, not for a minute suggesting that mac does not live right but just making the point that personal life has everything to do with your ability on the intercounty team,

second i hinestly dont think he would be talked aboout now if hanley had not gone, even though i personally think he is the best i have ever seen, i think if hanley was there the chf berth would be filled and sorted thus no need for mac.

lil whats the story with Parsons? i know there was pressure last year and at the begining of this year but has he signed?
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

rich dublin wrote:one or two points on this girls, first esther your personal life has a huge role to play when playing county football, if you are not living right you will never be up to it at county level, by that i mean, eating right at the right times, rest, work everything, not for a minute suggesting that mac does not live right but just making the point that personal life has everything to do with your ability on the intercounty team,

second i hinestly dont think he would be talked aboout now if hanley had not gone, even though i personally think he is the best i have ever seen, i think if hanley was there the chf berth would be filled and sorted thus no need for mac.

lil whats the story with Parsons? i know there was pressure last year and at the begining of this year but has he signed?

The flippin scouts were at the Mayo match last Sunday and they're gonna be at the U21s this Saturday. He went to an aussie training camp in Dublin recently aswell I heard. Awful stuff altogether Richy. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:27 pm

rich dublin wrote:one or two points on this girls, first esther your personal life has a huge role to play when playing county football, if you are not living right you will never be up to it at county level, by that i mean, eating right at the right times, rest, work everything, not for a minute suggesting that mac does not live right but just making the point that personal life has everything to do with your ability on the intercounty team,

no no, richy you got me al wrong. By personal life, I was referring to what he does with his hair, what he thinks of himself etc. I dont think that has any place in the world of gaa of people judging him on that. Also, being a mayo fan, ciaran would never and will never be forgotten. If half the kerry team came on the mayo team, he'd still be rememered.
Anyway, Parsons went to an aussie training camp in dublin methinks scratch I fear for him and o shea i tells ya!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:28 pm

LilMaighEo wrote:

The flippin scouts were at the Mayo match last Sunday and they're gonna be at the U21s this Saturday. He went to an aussie training camp in Dublin recently aswell I heard. Awful stuff altogether Richy. Sad

i was chatting to friends of his as he lives in my parish ( even though he plays for charlestown and Mayo)
anyway i though he would be gone before now, he would be very suited to the aussie game with his pace height and strength and skill, also heard a rumour that o'shea will be going?
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next