GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ciaran McDonald

+9
hipster 2
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
Peter Solan the Great
Thomas Clarke
patrique
RMDrive
whiterbananas
Loyal2TheRoyal
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ciaran McDonald Empty Ciaran McDonald

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Some of the videos on YouTube on their own are acts of wizardry. Put them together and you have a compilation of a genius. Has a more elegant and graceful forward ever existed? Even the great Maurice Fitz would be in awe at the sight of McDonald.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Ciaran McDonald Empty Re: Ciaran McDonald

Post  whiterbananas Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Genius. Hard to believe that mayo team didnt win an all ireland with mcdonald and mortimer in the same forward line
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:33 pm

There was a league game against Dublin a few years ago and it was the best I ever saw him play. Magestic passing.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Yes indeed.

And Brian McGuigan was better?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 pm

patrique wrote:Yes indeed.

Yes, as was John McEntee

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Patrique, the main difference between Brian McGuigan & Ciaran McDonald was this:

Ciaran McDonald was an individual, a man who could beat teams on his own with his brilliance. If he wasn't good enough to beat teams by himself, then his side usually lost.

Brian McGuigan made everyone that he played alongside better. He raised the performance of his team. When Brian McGuigan played well, Tyrone won. In fact, between 2003-2005, when Brian McGuigan played 60+ minutes, Tyrone never lost.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

Patrique, the main difference between Brian McGuigan & Ciaran McDonald was this:

Ciaran McDonald was an individual, a man who could beat teams on his own with his brilliance. If he wasn't good enough to beat teams by himself, then his side usually lost.

Brian McGuigan made everyone that he played alongside better. He raised the performance of his team. When Brian McGuigan played well, Tyrone won. In fact, between 2003-2005, when Brian McGuigan played 60+ minutes, Tyrone never lost.

Load of bollox and you know it. while Ciaran MacDonald was good at times i often felt Mayo performed better with out him. Dont forget in Ciaran Macs time with Mayo we also had James Nallen, David Brady, Kevin O'Neill. Kevin Cahill and a injury free trevor Mortimer
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo
Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:49 pm

[quote="Peter Solan the Great]
Load of bollox and you know it. while Ciaran MacDonald was good at times i often felt Mayo performed better with out him. Dont forget in Ciaran Macs time with Mayo we also had James Nallen, David Brady, Kevin O'Neill. Kevin Cahill and a injury free trevor Mortimer[/quote]

I don't see the point you are trying to make after reeling off that list? Nallen was a very good half-back, likewise Cahill at full-back. Mortimor wouldn't have been near Tyrone or Kerry sides at that time, and Brady & O'Neill spent large chunks of their Mayo career on the bench or off the panel.

McDonald was Mayo in the first half of the last decade. Without him you would not have been next to near an all-ireland final, never mind two of them. But I still would not have swapped Brian McGuigan for him, for the reasons given above.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:12 am

McDonald is a Rodney Marsh type figure and the type of player I would pay in to see alone. Brian Mc was destroyed by injury and its impossible to estimate how good he might have been. Have huge regard for Sean C - Dooher, Ricey even - BMG was likely (and potentially) the best of all. But his star didn't burn as long ... Our loss.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:45 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:

A bit "naive". I suspect one Peter Canavan, an all time great, had a lot to do with Tyrone's run, and in 05 O'neill was a great talent, as was Mugsy. Not to forget Dooher, the playmaker.

McGuigan as I always say did the "Neil Lennon" role, always available for the simple outlet. But still the 5th most important forward, out of 6.

I keep saying he reminds me of me, but I had more vision, and a better long, defence splitting pass.......
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:00 am

Not a lot I can say to that Patrique, except that in 2004 & 2006, when Tyrone flopped, McGuigan wasn't playing. When Armagh came back from the dead to beat Tyrone in the 2005 Ulster replay, McGuigan had been taken off (just back from Australia and wasn't fit for 70 minutes).

In the 2005 final, in the last 5 minutes, he must have touched the ball about 10 times. Every other Tyrone forward, Canavan, O'Neill and all, knew that the man they wanted in control of the ball was Brian McGuigan, because he would use it properly.

We've debated this one to death, and I don't think that either of us are going to change our opinions, but I think that, between 2003-2005, Brian McGuigan was probably the best footballer in Ireland. He was certainly the most important to Tyrone.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:02 pm

patrique wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

A bit "naive". I suspect one Peter Canavan, an all time great, had a lot to do with Tyrone's run, and in 05 O'neill was a great talent, as was Mugsy. Not to forget Dooher, the playmaker.

McGuigan as I always say did the "Neil Lennon" role, always available for the simple outlet. But still the 5th most important forward, out of 6.

I keep saying he reminds me of me, but I had more vision, and a better long, defence splitting pass.......

except Lennon never passed a ball forwards in his life - it was either sideways or back - a tad disengenuous Pat - Mc Guigan was an outstanding footballer and not many had better vision then he had before the terrible incident were he lost the sight in one eye. His range of passing was also top drawer - for anyone to attempt to deny that is laughable!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:[quote="Peter Solan the Great]
Load of bollox and you know it. while Ciaran MacDonald was good at times i often felt Mayo performed better with out him. Dont forget in Ciaran Macs time with Mayo we also had James Nallen, David Brady, Kevin O'Neill. Kevin Cahill and a injury free trevor Mortimer

I don't see the point you are trying to make after reeling off that list? Nallen was a very good half-back, likewise Cahill at full-back. Mortimor wouldn't have been near Tyrone or Kerry sides at that time, and Brady & O'Neill spent large chunks of their Mayo career on the bench or off the panel.

McDonald was Mayo in the first half of the last decade. Without him you would not have been next to near an all-ireland final, never mind two of them. But I still would not have swapped Brian McGuigan for him, for the reasons given above.[/quote]

Look you clearly know nothing about mayo football if you think Ciaran MacDonald led Mayo to those All Ireland finals. The players i mentioned above were the players who brought Mayo to the finals. Ciaran MacDonald while having flashs of brilliant was often anonomous in games leading up to the final. Maybe your too busy trying to bully people off this forum then paying attention to the GAA.
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Peter Solan the Great wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:[quote="Peter Solan the Great]

McDonald was Mayo in the first half of the last decade. Without him you would not have been next to near an all-ireland final, never mind two of them. But I still would not have swapped Brian McGuigan for him, for the reasons given above.

Look you clearly know nothing about mayo football if you think Ciaran MacDonald led Mayo to those All Ireland finals. The players i mentioned above were the players who brought Mayo to the finals. Ciaran MacDonald while having flashs of brilliant was often anonomous in games leading up to the final. Maybe your too busy trying to bully people off this forum then paying attention to the GAA.[/quote]

says the man whose aggression levels are rising with each post Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Look you clearly know nothing about mayo football if you think Ciaran MacDonald led Mayo to those All Ireland finals. The players i mentioned above were the players who brought Mayo to the finals. Ciaran MacDonald while having flashs of brilliant was often anonomous in games leading up to the final. Maybe your too busy trying to bully people off this forum then paying attention to the GAA.

Bully? Good man Peter, I see your lack of judgement extends to forums also.

Are you trying to tell me that Mayo would have made their 2 all-ireland finals without MacDonald? You obviously didn't see his point to beat the Dubs in 2006, or maybe you think that O'Neill could have run 90m and kicked it. Or Brady? Or Mortimor?

I'd guess you are a big O'Mahony fan, as you seem to be every bit as keen to erase the reality of MacDonald's as he was. And every bit as deluded also.

Look at how well your stars have done since he has been off the panel. Peter, you may be from Mayo, but you I fear that it is you who knows little about your county side.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

there is no such thing as a one man team and anybody that says so knows nothing about team sports
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

Bully? Good man Peter, I see your lack of judgement extends to forums also.

Are you trying to tell me that Mayo would have made their 2 all-ireland finals without MacDonald? You obviously didn't see his point to beat the Dubs in 2006, or maybe you think that O'Neill could have run 90m and kicked it. Or Brady? Or Mortimor?

I'd guess you are a big O'Mahony fan, as you seem to be every bit as keen to erase the reality of MacDonald's as he was. And every bit as deluded also.

Look at how well your stars have done since he has been off the panel. Peter, you may be from Mayo, but you I fear that it is you who knows little about your county side.

Its pretty clear what you were at with mullins. Some quote there from you, you also fail to point out that Brady (Ger and David), Nallen, Heaney, Cahill the teams real leaders were also off the panel in that time period. Sure you keep thinking what you think and i'll keep thinking what i think. Anyone watching the all Ireland semi final in 2006 would have seen MacDonald was no where to be seen fro vast quantities of the match. The two Brady's turned the match against Dublin in 2006 not MacDonald. Your logic for pointing out that Mayo were a one man team is the winning score of an all Ireland semi final. Jesus is this what we have to put up with post 2003.
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Peter, its great to have a realistic Mayo man about the place. I have been saying it for years, Ciaran McDonald is the most over rated player in history. Sure he had some flashes of genius, but most where when he was given an acre of space in which to do it, he was a fancy dan who looked good when people stood off him and allowed him to play. Went missing for too often in games, give me guys like the Bradys anyday of the week

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Laughable comments here from Peter Solan The Great and Samin10.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:09 pm

samin10 wrote:Peter, its great to have a realistic Mayo man about the place. I have been saying it for years, Ciaran McDonald is the most over rated player in history. Sure he had some flashes of genius, but most where when he was given an acre of space in which to do it, he was a fancy dan who looked good when people stood off him and allowed him to play. Went missing for too often in games, give me guys like the Bradys anyday of the week

Which is it Sam? Genius or not?

And while your at it, tell me a time when Tony McEntee or his twin brother did anything close to the clips in the opening post.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Solan the Great Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Laughable comments here from Peter Solan The Great and Samin10.

Laughable my ****, i'm merely pointing out the Thomas Clarke that Mayo werent a one man team and that while MacDonald was brilliant at times Mayo had other leaders there that took up the slack when MacDonald went missing.
Peter Solan the Great
Peter Solan the Great
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
samin10 wrote:Peter, its great to have a realistic Mayo man about the place. I have been saying it for years, Ciaran McDonald is the most over rated player in history. Sure he had some flashes of genius, but most where when he was given an acre of space in which to do it, he was a fancy dan who looked good when people stood off him and allowed him to play. Went missing for too often in games, give me guys like the Bradys anyday of the week

Which is it Sam? Genius or not? Not, Paddy Kielty tells an odd funny joke, still not a good comedian

And while your at it, tell me a time when Tony McEntee or his twin brother did anything close to the clips in the opening post.

How about the three brilliant points John kicked against Dublin in all-ireland semi 02, or the point he kicked against kerry in final whilst concussed (went off about 2 minutes later).

How about John McEntee getting man of match in all-ireland club final against NaFianna (being marked by McGeeneyin his prime), how about McGeeney getting it as a 35 year old in 05 national league final when marking McDonald.

I can kick a point from the sideline with the outside of my boot when nobody near me. Hardly makes me a superstar. Dont get me wrong i think McDonald was a decent player (just very overated)

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Laughable comments here from Peter Solan The Great and Samin10.

Laughable my ****, i'm merely pointing out the Thomas Clarke that Mayo werent a one man team and that while MacDonald was brilliant at times Mayo had other leaders there that took up the slack when MacDonald went missing.

No I agree with Thomas Clarke.

Mayo had many ordinary players in the early noughties era plus a superstar in McDonald.

Whether McDonald would have reached those finals in 2004 and 2006 without fourteen Mayo men on his back is debatable but for sure the fourteen men wouldn''t have reached them without McDonald.

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:43 pm

samin10 wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:

Which is it Sam? Genius or not? Not, Paddy Kielty tells an odd funny joke, still not a good comedian

How about the three brilliant points John kicked against Dublin in all-ireland semi 02, or the point he kicked against kerry in final whilst concussed (went off about 2 minutes later).

How about John McEntee getting man of match in all-ireland club final against NaFianna (being marked by McGeeneyin his prime), how about McGeeney getting it as a 35 year old in 05 national league final when marking McDonald.

I can kick a point from the sideline with the outside of my boot when nobody near me. Hardly makes me a superstar. Dont get me wrong i think McDonald was a decent player (just very overated)

Over-rated in what way? You have already accepted that he produced moments of genius in his time but in the same breath call him a "decent player"? That dosen't really add up.

I don't recall any forward scoring a point from a sideline this year, let alone an Armagh player. Maybe you deserve a call-up to the Armagh squad.

Dismissing the magic moments that McDonald produced because "there was no-one near him" and then to laud McEntee for scoring a point whilst allegedly concussed is enough.

Far too many contradicting statements for me to take your opinion in any sort of serious capacity.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Personally I do not care. A point is a point don't care how beautiful it looks as long as it goes over the bar.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down