GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012

+7
bocerty
mugsys_barber
GAA-Fan
emmetryan
patsymc
OMAR
Boxtyeater
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012 Empty Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Nothing like an early start to set the mood. Here's OMAR and Jimmy knocking out a lil' choon to kick-start proceedings...

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012 Empty Re: Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Myles Gallagher who does a sports slot on highland radio is concerned that our counter sttack needs extra pace. His efforts to strenghten the squad are underway

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012 Empty Re: Donegal V Cork...A/I Semi-final--26/08/2012

Post  patsymc Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:03 pm

do you ever get that felling your
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Christmas tree in mid-August is a bad idea.....For sure.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 am

The plan to "get the blocks in early" appears to have sank.....

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am

Boxtyeater wrote:The plan to "get the blocks in early" appears to have sank.....

Wouldn't have happended if he had sourced materials locally - A quick re-con of the photo would lead me to believe that the blocks originated cross border.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 am

I shall be attending this match next weekend. That's on the plus side.
Herself ( a rabid Cork follower for rowing reasons) will also be attending. A conflict of opinion = the minus side.

I shall be establishing a basecamp at The Ballinteer House licensed premises in Dundrum for the weekend. (Commencing Friday evening).
I am anxious to avoid shopping expeditions on Saturday. I enjoy the morning of a major game in the capital. A nice breakfast followed by a leisurely strool toward HQ with a few mild libations before throw-in. I am amenable to a few post-match sherries in the aftermath as well.

The plan is for a voyage home on Monday afternoon.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm hoping to make it in on Sunday, before then some of you might enjoy my tactical preview here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Cork and Dublin are the only two teams capable of beating Donegal in the whole of Ireland. I would consider Crok to be that little bit better than Dublin, so if Donegal do beat Cork I think they will be the next All Ireland Champions. Evenly matched teams but Cork are probably a team in better physical shape, could win it for them.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Cork and Dublin are the only two teams capable of beating Donegal in the whole of Ireland. I would consider Crok to be that little bit better than Dublin, so if Donegal do beat Cork I think they will be the next All Ireland Champions. Evenly matched teams but Cork are probably a team in better physical shape, could win it for them.

Dublin ffs....Hardly able to bate Laois....I agree though, if Donegal can overcome Cork it's theirs to lose.

Beating Cork is a big, big ask just the same...

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Contrary to alot of tripe making the newspapers this week about fellow Ulster men hoping for Donegals' demise I will be cheering on the Tir Connaill men on Sunday. I saw both teams in action last day and was mighty impressed with Cork, particularly as they had been out of action for quite a long time since playing Clare in the Munster final. Their ability to make quality substitutions may just swing it for them as well as their surplus of options in attack, They were able to bring in Kelly, Daniel Goulding and Pearse O'Neill last day out to great effect. Kelly deservedly starts for Sheehan this time out

Colm O'Neill has notched up 5-27 and O'Connor 1-33 (NFL and C'ship), The Donegal scores arrive from all areas and whilst McFadden is their top scorer everyone else chips in with Thompson, McHugh, Lacey and McGlynn pushing themselves up to the edge of the D to pop over vital scores.

McGuinness again will have covered all bases to counter Corks running game or whether they opt for more route one. Nicholas Murphy may again be deployed on the edge of the square which in fairness didnt really work against Kildare so a deeper role for Murphy this time out possibly. Aidan Walsh for me was brilliant in his last match and whilst Kerrigan looks the real deal going forward going at defenders He didnt really burst a gut back tracking which I'm sure Jim will have mulled over as he puts so much effort in going forward the tank is empty in reverse. Donegal will also have to be disciplined in the tackle similar to the Kerry game to limit the spread of free takers that Cork have in their ranks.

Defensively Canty, Kissane and O'Leary all featured well against Kildare and Colm McFadden will have his work cut out against Shields ably assisted by Carey and Cadogan at the back. I have no qualms in saying that Cork are the more naturally gifted footballers but believe that Donegal would have the edge on tactics and preparation and it will take one hell of an effort to beat them as they have come on so much from last years semi final defeat to Dublin. I will be cheering Donegal but realistically I feel that Cork will win this one because A) scoring power and b) stronger bench. (hope I'm wrong - Hon' Donegal!!)
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Got it in a nutshell Mugsy...(Well almost)...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:30 am

Half a dozen Donegal supporters making merriment in The Ballinteer House premises in South Dublin earlier. Their mood appeared bullish.......

I'll be sending all my positive vibes their way later on today.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:36 pm

would have to agree with a lot of what Mugsy said. McGuinness would have the edge as far as tactical prowess and preparation goes but Counihan arguably has better footballers and a stronger bench to work with. Cork have a really good forward unit who are all capable to chipping in with scores, Donegal whilst not far behind just dont have as many options.

This game could well be be decided in the final quarter so it will be a game of survival of the fittest and for that i would have to tip my hat in the direction of Donegal, it will all depend just what the score is going in to the final 15, will Cork have enough of a lead to be able to slow the game down and reduce Donegal to shooting from distance.

Its a hard one to call as it will be a tough physical battle between two big sides, the heart says Donegal but the head says Cork by 3.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm

once more Mayo implode at Croker - a heart breaking defeat for them but the penalty was a dubious one i think.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Congrats to RM and Omar. Great display and will take some beating in the final.Karl Lacey MOM ? Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  emmetryan Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm

I've put together a tactical take on the game here for anyone interested [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

emmetryan
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Dublin
Number of posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Congrats to RM and Omar. Great display and will take some beating in the final.Karl Lacey MOM ? Very Happy

Neil Gallagher was outstanding too. Destroyed Alan O'Connor at midfield.

Well done Omar & RMD. Just back from match but will post more later.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Congrats to RM and Omar. Great display and will take some beating in the final.Karl Lacey MOM ? Very Happy

Big neil - in my view
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Delighted with result and to be honest was beyond expectations
Gallaghers Fielding a joy to watch, Lacey as always faultless, Mchugh despite attentions of gould and then pierce O neill showed his reading of the game is supreme.
Biggest fear was that Cork would power away and get a 4-5 point lead. After half an hour that was no longer on cards so a backdrop of hope crept in.
Cork got a point in the first half where colm o neill picked off a score after a kerrigan burst and this was what i expected in bucketfulls but it happened once.
Durkan gave away a score with his second kick out and this was worrying but 20 mins later Cork were afraid to play it to midfield As big neil cleaned house.
Corks Handpassing was like a netball match with the net yardage gain being almost negative, and they were flat on their feet after 45 mins.

Concerns.

The late goal again
Ryan bradley as a starting forward
4 bad wides from open positions to kill the game
Three of gallaghers clean catches ended up in bad turnovers
Long ball into front three in first half was fruitless
Ref was laissez fairre which suits Donegal - a fussy ref will make a difference

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:36 pm

a truly pulsating game and one that will live long in the memory. And yet it could be said that Donegal deviated quite a bit from the usual tactic of posession posession posession. The first half tactic of launching long balls into the forward line bore little fruit and not something too many of us expected to see. The fact they kept at it for so long when it wasnt working made me wonder if Jim had lost the run of himself.

The first half was evenly enough balanced but Cork looked the more dangerous on the attack. Paddy Kelly started really well in the first 5-10 minutes but after that Donegal snuffed him out of the game completely. The two umpires at Durkans goal seen more of the ball than Donnacha O'Connor and so it seemed Donegal had the edge and a 1 point lead despite the fact that Cork looked like the better team.

The second half lasted all of 15 minutes - once we hit the 50 minute mark the game was over for Cork they had no answer to the relentless Donegal tackling and were turned over time and time again, Donegal though were very wasteful with the poseesion and kicked somewhere near 10 wides or balls that dropped short into the keepers hands. Again very unlike Donegal, they normally are very composed and work the ball into a scoring position before even thinking of having a go. Cork were dead on their feet and unable to make Donegal pay for the wasted opportunities, despite several personnel changes they continued to be forced into mistake after mistake.

The late goal served only to make the game closer than it really was, the truth is Donegal were never in danger of losing once they got the 4-5 point lead. Cork simply had no answers.

A great day for Donegal and to a man they were excellent. As for Cork serious questions msut be asked of Counihans ability as a manager. He was completely outclassed today and had no plan B at all. With the quality of players he has at his disposal Cork should have a few more All Irelands to their credit, certainly i think if Harte, O'Connor or the likes had this team that would be the case.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Never got to watch the game but by all accounts Donegal sounded like they were never going to lose. Can't see Donegal losing the final no matter who it is. It would also be an impressive feat if they do get Dubin and beat them. They would have played every All Ireland winning team since 2003 and beat them in the championship.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:57 pm

OMAR wrote:

Big neil - in my view

Kavanagh had a great game too i thought, though you couldnt really say any of them played badly. Their fitness levels are truly astonishing for an amateur team.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 am

bocerty wrote:
OMAR wrote:

Big neil - in my view

Kavanagh had a great game too i thought, though you couldnt really say any of them played badly. Their fitness levels are truly astonishing for an amateur team.

I would have had it between lacey and gallagher. But lacey has played that way every game and is surely a shoe-in for a fourth all- star, a remarkabe acheivement considering that this will be his first A-I final.
What was sweet about big neils performance was
A. Perception was cork would clean us at midfield
B. the so called purists and c&€s like Tommy Carr make us out to be average footballers
C. Mcguinness talked up that Cork would aim to kill us at midfield from kick-outs

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 am

Please see my tweets on this, especially the ones where i say that i love the Donegal brand of football, or 'total football' as i called it! Couple of journos i directed it to agreed wholeheartedly too. It's not everyones cup of tea but i just love watching them play as the complete unit!

To think they were laughed at a couple of years ago and with a the right manager and backroom staff and a squad that believe in their plans and tactics they now find themselves on the brink of glory. Their turnaround is a symbol of hope to all counties that would be in the 'thereabouts' bracket as to what can be achieved when everyone works as a unit, players, managers, the lot! Derry need to take note in a big way!

Well done Donegal, i really hope our Donegal posters are celebrating hard tonight!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next