GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys

4 posters

Go down

Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys Empty Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys

Post  bald eagle Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:02 pm

The GAA may consider putting players' names on the back of jerseys -

The move would provide more exposure for players and Leinster Council chairman Martin Skelly tells today's Irish Sun that he would be in favour of such a change:

"Players names on jerseys is something that would be particularly beneficial in hurling.

"If you consider that most helmets look the same, then unless a player is wearing a particularly distinctive helmet, it can be difficult to know who he is.

"It would be in that context that player names on jerseys would be most beneficial. It would help for TV viewing and for fans at games.

"If you look at the screen in Croke Park and see a hurler, sometimes you cannot tell who it is, but player names on jerseys would counteract that."

GAA director general Paraic Duffy mentioned the possibility of intercounty players' names going on the back of jerseys two years ago, but there has been no definitive move made in the area yet.

One group who might not be happy if this became a reality is cash-strapped parents, however - especially given the propensity for GAA players to switch positions.

"I think it is something that Leinster would support," Skelly adds.

Taken from the Irish Sun.

I'm not on for it at all!

Views?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys Empty Re: Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys

Post  bocerty Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:33 pm

i cant see the benefit of this at all - and the argument about hurlers wearing the same helmet is dung its funny how up till now now they have been recognisable even without names on jerseys. Surely the number on the back of the jersey is sufficient to identify anyone and now that numbers are on the front too it helps things a small bit.

Plus what happens if we have two players wearing the same helmet and it just so happens they also have the same name!!!! will they be looking to put names on their helmets next!!!

All a load of crap if you ask me
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys Empty Re: Leinster Council Want Names on Jerseys

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Just wondering if 'banger' would be on a lot of junior team jerseys. Shocked
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Wouldn't have a huge problem with it tbh. O'Neills would be happy. Incidentally good to see Dublin getting involved with Suicide or Survive and wearing their logo on jerseys in the first league game.

ps There was an English player called Banger!! Nicky as far as I remember - played for Southampton among many others.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down