GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moment of 2011

+3
Podger
OMAR
Loyal2TheRoyal
7 posters

Go down

Moment of 2011

Moment of 2011 Tag100%Moment of 2011 Tag10 0% 
[ 0 ]
Moment of 2011 Tag1017%Moment of 2011 Tag10 17% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Moment of 2011 Tag1050%Moment of 2011 Tag10 50% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
Moment of 2011 Tag1033%Moment of 2011 Tag10 33% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Moment of 2011 Empty Moment of 2011

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Many memorable moments - I've chosen the top ten. Several more not included.

I wonder how will history view 2011?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Moment of 2011 Empty Re: Moment of 2011

Post  OMAR Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Certainly been an interesting year. I find the easisest way to put it in context is to think about it in terms of an episode of Reeling in the years - Certainly enough to fill half an hour at a national and international news level - In addition to the above

International - The Eygptian uprising and other Arab spring events, the death of Kim Yong, Royal Wedding, Occupy wall street, Ousting of Berlosconi

Other National News - In addition to the Gallagher incident the whole slogfest that was the presedntial election - Norris out then in, The success of Mcguinness - Enda Kenny's speech on the Cloyne report - the Obama visit -

Great year National sporting front - Golfing failure and then success at the majors, The dramatic end to the AI football final - The win against australia - The Heineken cup turnaround - Various equine success. Euro qualification

The one area where There hasn't really been anything memorable is probably international sport.
NZ won the world cup as expected - The Penn state controversy is massive news stateside
but not worth more than a few column inches over here.

Though as a single split second of drama I think Gallaghers use of the word "envelope" will live long in peoples memory

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 am

Ms WIndsor bowing her head at the Garden of REmembrance was quiet a moment. As was her use of the Irish lingo in Dublin Castle.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:50 pm

I voted for the London riots. Fascinating how some young lads can scurry away, carrying 2 plasma screen tellys under their arms and would faint if they were asked to clean out a cow shed....

It was also of further consolation to me that Beagles caravan remained un-scathed, as the hi-jinks spread to the midlands.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 am

Domestically - it's amazing the effect the Queen's visit had on this country. Listening to various radio shows and print reviews and its right up there - and some of the people championing it is even more amazing. It was a good week - even if Cork lost its rebel tag .. Laughing Obama less so. Contrived and run by US securocrats. Nothing amazing or instant about economic crises - they are going on since 2008. The Presidential election had interesting moments - but its only the Presidency after all. And the media reckon it was THEIR campaign - maybe it was. The general election was interesting. If you went into Paddy Power 14 months ago and asked for odds on FF not having a seat in Dublin in less than a year you would have been committed to Dundrum. Amazing times in that context. The passing of Brian Lenihan was a sad occasion - a man asked to battle against impossible odds -in his life and in his work.

I think the domestic (non-sports) moment of the year must go to QE2. A toss up between the Garden of Remembrance and 'chairde'.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Parouisa wrote:Domestically - it's amazing the effect the Queen's visit had on this country. Listening to various radio shows and print reviews and its right up there - and some of the people championing it is even more amazing. It was a good week - even if Cork lost its rebel tag .. Laughing Obama less so. Contrived and run by US securocrats. Nothing amazing or instant about economic crises - they are going on since 2008. The Presidential election had interesting moments - but its only the Presidency after all. And the media reckon it was THEIR campaign - maybe it was. The general election was interesting. If you went into Paddy Power 14 months ago and asked for odds on FF not having a seat in Dublin in less than a year you would have been committed to Dundrum. Amazing times in that context. The passing of Brian Lenihan was a sad occasion - a man asked to battle against impossible odds -in his life and in his work.

I think the domestic (non-sports) moment of the year must go to QE2. A toss up between the Garden of Remembrance and 'chairde'.

Brian Lenihan's death was sad for his family. Not as great as portrayed. He bluffed his way on most occasions.'Cheapest bailout in history', 'turned the corner' again and again.'We all partied so we have to pay' and various other ridiculous utterances as the country was going down the tube. Lizzie Windsor's visit was a good visit but not a great visit. Chopra's was the highlight of the year although he didn't exist according to the government. Shocked
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:14 am

Chopra and colleagues 'visit' was actually 2010. A lot of end of year reviews put the arrival of IMF etc in 2011 - it wasn't. On BL fair points but the man was selfelssly driven by what he believed was the country's interest far before his own. And given his condition his first thoughts ought to have been for himself. So regardless of the consequences of the decisions - and his intentions were true - you have to admire the man I think.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Pippa's Ass
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Many memorable moments - I've chosen the top ten.

I'm afraid you've left out the 'Arab Spring', which was easily the most significant event of 2011. I feel confident that history will likely deem it more momentus than Gallagher's slip of the tongue during an interview for an overpaid and unneccesary job.

Omar's nomination, though, will be fondly recalled...

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 am

Forget the Arabs, Royalty and long lost ancestors from Moneygall. If there were ever moments that will linger in the memory, surely these days, poignant as they may be, will forever endure in the minds of Gaels when 2011 is spoken of.....RIP Michaela.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down