GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Athletic Championships 2011

5 posters

Go down

World Athletic Championships 2011 Empty World Athletic Championships 2011

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Here we go......100m final tomorrow morning. Quarter Finals now. The Bolt about to be loaded?

Last edited by Loyal2TheRoyal on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

World Athletic Championships 2011 Empty Re: World Athletic Championships 2011

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:40 am

not gonna see much but wd like to be kept posted if u cd L
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:24 am

400m is a nice event spectacle wise Jayo - Reigning World Champ LaShawn Merritt ran the fastest time in the world this year in his heat. Oscar Pistorius, running on blades, also qualified. Should be a good final tomorrow I think.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 am

10,000m - 11.30 this morning.

The Ch4 people are very keen on Mo Farah. Seen him in past championships and never really been impressed - supposedly much better form this season. Beating everything put in front of him from 3,000m up to the half-marathon. UK's best chance of a gold?

However, looking at the field, one name sticks out - Kenesia Bekele. Greatest distance runner of all time but been injured for almost two years now. Hard to know but Bekele is undefeated over 10K in his entire career. Channel 4 now reporting that Bekele is doubtful.

100m - Semis 10.30 this morning, Final later this morning.

Bolt's to lose - just have to wait and see if he runs a good time. The rest are running for second - race lost some of it's lustre with Powell and Gay non-runners. Be interesting to see the disgraced Olympic champion Justin Gatlin back on the track, didn't he hold the 100m world record at one stage a few years ago?

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Not fully sure of the ins and outs of athletics but I think anything that robs the 100m final of the fastest man of all time is wrong. So bit of an anti-climax but a new name on the podium's top spot and an old one in third - Kim Collins, brilliant athlete.

Thought the 10,000m was a great spectacle. Tadese made it a brilliant race and Bekele? Maybe the years told but Farah and the Ethopians made it a fantastic finish.

Have to say - this kind of televison is great viewing. Can't understand why it don't get more coverage.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:32 am

Shame about Bolt alright Loyal but them's the rules. Saw Pistorius on News - fair play to him but don't see him making final.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:17 am

800m Final at 13:00 today.

I like this event - it only lasts little more than a minute and a half but tactics and position are so important.

2010 world athlete of the year David Rudisha is the red hot favourite. Fastest man of all time over this distance. The Usain Bolt of middle distance running.

The other seven runners are a lot more evenly matched. Borzakovskiy the Russian is the veteran of the field, Olympic Champion in Athens and thrice a medallist at World Championships. Used to have a lovely run style, trying to pass everyone on the second lap but dangerous tactics and leaves a lot to chance.

Mohammad Aman, the 17 year old - the CH4 people were raving about this protege the other day. The other big names are Abubaker Kaki - but he flatters a bit in the big championships and Yego - silver medallist at last world championships. Interesting Poland have two athletes qualified for the final, and the other is a USA runner.

Heptathlon concludes today too, Jessica Ennis must be a gold medal cert in that.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 am

There was an excellent finish to the womens 400m yesterday with some quaire one from Botswana taking gold
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:37 pm

Amazing run from France's Christophe Lemaitre - runs 19.80 secs in the 200m. Had a PB of 20.19 before this race. An astonishing improvement.

Does that time make him the fastest white man ever ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 pm

OMAR wrote:Amazing run from France's Christophe Lemaitre - runs 19.80 secs in the 200m. Had a PB of 20.19 before this race. An astonishing improvement.

Pretty sure that Pietro Mannea from Italy held the world record for several years before Johnson came along. It was 19.71, I think. Never saw Mannea run, but I'd always assumed he was white.

An astonishing improvement indeed from Lemaitre. Shame I find such things hard to accept nowadays - watching athletics was more fun as a child. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
OMAR wrote:Amazing run from France's Christophe Lemaitre - runs 19.80 secs in the 200m. Had a PB of 20.19 before this race. An astonishing improvement.

Pretty sure that Pietro Mannea from Italy held the world record for several years before Johnson came along. It was 19.71, I think. Never saw Mannea run, but I'd always assumed he was white.

An astonishing improvement indeed from Lemaitre. Shame I find such things hard to accept nowadays - watching athletics was more fun as a child. Sad

Always loved the middle distance races and it seemed that from the Coe/Ovett/Cram years to Aouita to Morcelli to El Gherouoj to Bakele that it was always a sector where true greats held sway.

Ive never heard of the guy that won the 5000m
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 am

OMAR wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

You never heard of Mo Fara????

Neither did I .... agree with TC here - hard to see people improving so much on PBs etc without thinking hmmmm ...

Always loved the middle distance races and it seemed that from the Coe/Ovett/Cram years to Aouita to Morcelli to El Gherouoj to Bakele that it was always a sector where true greats held sway.

Ive never heard of the guy that won the 5000m
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down