GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA welcome the Queen

+9
Real Kerry Fan
Boxtyeater
bluearmy1
mugsys_barber
mullins
whiterbananas
North Side Gael
Grenvile
Jayo Cluxton
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GAA welcome the Queen Empty GAA welcome the Queen

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

GAA PRESS RELEASE

Croke Park Visit

The Gaelic Athletic Association has for well over a hundred years embodied and taken its stand with the mood of the nation, culturally, socially and politically. In unity with our players, administrators and supporters throughout the island and abroad, we were strongly committed advocates of the peace process, and we have welcomed, supported and celebrated the developing reconciliation which has resulted from the Good Friday Agreement and its endorsement by the people, North and South, in referenda.

We now welcome the further development of this process, and the consequential deepening of relationships, which will flow from the invitation by President McAleese to Queen Elizabeth to pay a State visit to Ireland. The GAA is pleased to have been asked to receive Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by President McAleese, at our headquarters in Croke Park and to showcase our stadium and facilities to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and their accompanying party. We believe that this request reflects and acknowledges the special place of the GAA in the life and history of the nation.

We are confident that this historic visit to Croke Park will be welcomed by those who play, administer and support our games, at home and abroad, including of course throughout Britain. We hope also that it will encourage a greater interest and participation in our games by our fellow Irishmen and women of the Unionist tradition.

The visit to Croke Park will provide the Uachtarán of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael with the opportunity to convey to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh a sense of the history and values of the Gaelic Athletic Association, and its unique and leading place in Irish society.

In the best traditions of our Association, we will extend a warm welcome to Croke Park - a Céad Míle Fáilte - to Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by the President and Dr. McAleese.

The GAA will be making no further comment.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

GAA welcome the Queen Empty Re: GAA welcome the Queen

Post  Grenvile Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Good to see.. Despite the atrocities that some animals in the north continue to commit we are still moving forward.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Great to see a women who brings in millions a year while more a more of her subjects fall into poverty, while she sits unelected as their head of state which is what she takes the millions for! Whats the west at war for in libya again oh yes, democracy.

Youll see the "animals" go from strength to strength of the back of this visit too!

Oh yes, one more thing i think i brought up freedom of speech earlier, what was it about the publican in dublin and his banner and all that.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:52 pm

my opinion is that i am completely indifferent to the queen's visit. Im neither for or against it. I simply have no interest in the queen or any of her family. But as a symbolic gesture, i think this is good. And once again, well done to the GAA
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Just let her come and go-if people want to protest fair enough..but lets hope its a silent protest..

To will speak louder than any violence..
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I certainly have no problem with anyone who wants to protest at the visit of the queen of England as long as its done in a peaceful manner. Unfortunately it will probably be hijacked by the shell suit brigade who will use it as an excuse to wreck round them in our nations capital.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 pm

It's all well and good calling the dissidents 'animals' but that's just the easy thing to do. These aren't animals, they are human beings...thugs perhaps, living in the past, but intelligent enough to orchestrate a campaign in an extremely small little corner of the world, with only a handful of volunteers, despite the efforts of one of the most powerful nations on Earth and their world renowned intelligence service.

I'm a Republican, but I'm not a supporter of them at all. But a lot of those fellas are coming from families who have suffered at the hands of Loyalists and the British Army. It's hard for them to let go when they look at the photos of their murdered family members. It's not an excuse to go out and kill others...but these boys didn't just pop out of the ground looking for a kill. They were born just like any of the rest of us, affected by their upbringing and the circumstances they lived in. If my mother and father had been die hard Republicans I'd probably be out standing with Eirigi when they protest. Luckily my family are moderates.

I don't really care if the Queen comes or not. It's not a big deal to me. But you know, I see a lot of Loyalist murals around the North talking about being 'for the Crown' and other UVF/UDA/LVF etc murals with 'God Save the Queen' all over them. Loyalists revere the Queen. They look to her as their figurehead. They actually despise the British government. Their loyalty is not to the government, but to the crown.

Where was Queen Elizabeth when the Shankill Butchers tortured and chopped up innocent Catholics? Where was she when Loyalist gunmen stormed into pubs and shot all around them or when they blew innocent people to bits on the streets of Monaghan and Dublin? All of this was in her name and in the name of Britain. Why didn't she stand up and say 'not in my name'? Was it not even worth saying?

A lot of people here will say that it's not a big deal whether she said it or not. If she comes then I say she be welcomed like any other head of state. With respect. But it certainly would have been a powerful gesture if the Queen had not allowed herself to be an icon for killers. All of these things are NOT in the past for those who live on today robbed of loved ones.
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 am

I don't care one way or the other...At the end of the day, the tax-payer (those of us who contribute) pick up the tab......

We have all feelings, but there's nothing to be gained by looking back,,,
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 am

bluearmy1 wrote:It's all well and good calling the dissidents 'animals' but that's just the easy thing to do. These aren't animals, they are human beings...thugs perhaps, living in the past, but intelligent enough to orchestrate a campaign in an extremely small little corner of the world, with only a handful of volunteers, despite the efforts of one of the most powerful nations on Earth and their world renowned intelligence service.

I'm a Republican, but I'm not a supporter of them at all. But a lot of those fellas are coming from families who have suffered at the hands of Loyalists and the British Army. It's hard for them to let go when they look at the photos of their murdered family members. It's not an excuse to go out and kill others...but these boys didn't just pop out of the ground looking for a kill. They were born just like any of the rest of us, affected by their upbringing and the circumstances they lived in. If my mother and father had been die hard Republicans I'd probably be out standing with Eirigi when they protest. Luckily my family are moderates.

I don't really care if the Queen comes or not. It's not a big deal to me. But you know, I see a lot of Loyalist murals around the North talking about being 'for the Crown' and other UVF/UDA/LVF etc murals with 'God Save the Queen' all over them. Loyalists revere the Queen. They look to her as their figurehead. They actually despise the British government. Their loyalty is not to the government, but to the crown.

Where was Queen Elizabeth when the Shankill Butchers tortured and chopped up innocent Catholics? Where was she when Loyalist gunmen stormed into pubs and shot all around them or when they blew innocent people to bits on the streets of Monaghan and Dublin? All of this was in her name and in the name of Britain. Why didn't she stand up and say 'not in my name'? Was it not even worth saying?

A lot of people here will say that it's not a big deal whether she said it or not. If she comes then I say she be welcomed like any other head of state. With respect. But it certainly would have been a powerful gesture if the Queen had not allowed herself to be an icon for killers. All of these things are NOT in the past for those who live on today robbed of loved ones.

Not in total agreement but a very good post.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:33 pm

bluearmy1 wrote:It's all well and good calling the dissidents 'animals' but that's just the easy thing to do. These aren't animals, they are human beings...thugs perhaps, living in the past, but intelligent enough to orchestrate a campaign in an extremely small little corner of the world, with only a handful of volunteers, despite the efforts of one of the most powerful nations on Earth and their world renowned intelligence service.

A fair post Hogan, but I would take issue with your first paragraph. Low life murderers like those that killed Ronan Kerr deserve no recognition for running their 'campaign' despite the efforts of British Police forces.. Intelligence when used for the purposes of butchering innocent people is not a redeeming quality.

Someone who plants a bomb under an innocent man's car, on the day before mother's day, right next to where hundreds of runners had passed that day, is in my opinion, sub-human, perhaps calling them animals does an injustice to the animal world. Their background is of course a factor, but every man is born with free will.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 am

No prob with Lizzy Windsor visiting Croke Park providing she lays a wreath and apologises for the murders on Bloody Sunday.It would show that they have developed maturity in our relations with each other.Being a horsey woman she could then hop over to Smithfield, not Ascot but she should feel at home. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:No prob with Lizzy Windsor visiting Croke Park providing she lays a wreath and apologises for the murders on Bloody Sunday.It would show that they have developed maturity in our relations with each other.Being a horsey woman she could then hop over to Smithfield, not Ascot but she should feel at home. Very Happy

Plenty in common
ie People who live on estates with horses
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm

The POINT of the Queen visiting Croke Park is because many Loyalists worship her.

if Croke Park is good enough for the Queen.................

The British promised to promote Irish Unity. that is exactly what they are doing here.

Now someone better tell the Queen what and where Ireland is. She MIGHT have heard of Vincent and Aidan O'Brien but I expect that would be the extent of her knowledge on the country.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Just a few points of Clarification here.

The last King who said "not in my name" was Charles 1 who was quickly dealt with when the republican Cromwell overthrew, and beheaded, him. The monarchy have NO power.

There is now a Northern Irish police force in the North, not British.

As a Republican like Cromwell I am opposed to monarchs but that is not the debate here.

I am also opposed to GAA censorship, but again that is not the issue.

The Queen is coming to push Irish Unity, which some people want.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:38 am

patrique wrote:Just a few points of Clarification here.

The last King who said "not in my name" was Charles 1 who was quickly dealt with when the republican Cromwell overthrew, and beheaded, him. The monarchy have NO power.

There is now a Northern Irish police force in the North, not British.

As a Republican like Cromwell I am opposed to monarchs but that is not the debate here.

I am also opposed to GAA censorship, but again that is not the issue.

The Queen is coming to push Irish Unity, which some people want.

Please explain the type of unity pat as you have said your a republic but more like cromwell who murdered thousands and is a hero to the british.

The northern police the psni have in their badge the st patricks cross, please pat also tell us where the st patricks cross is represented.

They are Irish not british, i will refer that to the last post, they are also still under considerable control of special branch who never seen one redundancy or reform in the GFA, please explain what has really changed? can you tell me the amount of ruc officers who actually where made redundant and who produced the figures you will used to present this?

None are points related to this thread but that doesnt seem to matter on here depending on the topic!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:41 am

As for the crown having no power, an interesting case in the investigation of the murder of dianna of wales, was her buttler, whom was informed by her majesty herself "there are powers at work in this country that you cant even comprehend" please explain how this isnt use of intimidation / power?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 am

Do you honestly think the queen makes decisions?

Mary McAleese has more power.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 am

Will John Bruton be part of the welcoming commitee
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:35 pm

The Puke wrote:Will John Bruton be part of the welcoming commitee

Don't know about Bruton- But Mullins will Smile
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm

éirígí Irish Freedom Camp for Garden of Remembrance
dublin | rights and freedoms | event notice Wednesday April 13, 2011 12:55 by éirígí PRO - éirígí
No British Withdrawal? No Royal Visits!
Rally Against Royal Visit at Garden of Remembrance at 3pm on Sunday May 15th to mark the establishment of the 'Irish Freedom Camp#.

The Dublin government have confirmed that they intend to parade the British head of state, Elizabeth Windsor, through the Garden of Remembrance on Parnell Square, Dublin at some point during her state visit. This move is as insulting as it is provocative. How dare they bring the commander-in-chief of the British military to a garden dedicated to those who have given their lives in the fight against British imperialism and domination. And this at a time when Britain continues to occupy the Six Counties.

In response to the proposed Windsor visit éirígí is to establish an Irish Freedom Camp at the Garden of Remembrance at 3pm on Sunday, May 15th. The camp will stay in place twenty-four hours a day until the so called British Queen arrives at the gardens. éirígí are hoping that the camp will act as a rallying point for republican Ireland and all of those who are opposed to the Windsor visit. éirígí are asking people to join the camp for as long as they can at any point during the number of days that it will be in existence. Together we can show the world that the people of Ireland remain committed to the struggle against imperialism.

Here we go the build up starts here
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:54 pm

2 men and a dog ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:2 men and a dog ....

Care to clarify or expand on this JC?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:56 pm

They don't represent anyone I know .... quite the opposite actually.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm

patrique wrote:Do you honestly think the queen makes decisions?

Mary McAleese has more power.

Do you honestly believe she doesnt?

She made a powerful decision to refrain from disowning the Loyalist Death squads who cared to act in here name, a pretty powerful influence of power if you ask me!

As per usual the daft british propaganda that will slate the likes of eirigi will be at the forefront "who do they represent" etc, which will anger and infuriate people who do want to peacefully protest, but then when emotions are high and all that...........................................
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:10 pm

DEAR GOD, the Queen doesn't know where Ireland is. very few English people do, apart from fishermen.

At least that was my experience when I lived there. Admittedly Dublin has become a Stag do venue since then.

Tell you what, do you believe that Wayne Rooney wrote HIS apology piece as well?
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next