GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrone's championship prospects 2011

+7
mugsys_barber
patrique
mullins
Jayo Cluxton
hipster 2
North Side Gael
Thomas Clarke
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tyrone's championship prospects 2011 Empty Tyrone's championship prospects 2011

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:59 am

mugsys_barber wrote:
Let me get another look at our U21's tomorrow night Mullins to see where the likes of McKenna, Harte and Coney might fit into the equation.

This conversation started on the Philip Jordan thread but, given how it is likely to develop, I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

McKenna doesn't look ready yet, in my opinion. Even with the U-21s, he hasn't been dominating. The only positions he could play at present are midfield, wing forward, or possibly wing half back (which won't happen). I don't think he has the physical power to play midfield, and Sean Cavanagh and Peter Harte look nailed on for the wing-forward slots.

The jury is still very much out on Coney. He has huge talent, but is inconsistent, and needs a lot of space to get his kicks in. Perhaps in a 2 man full-forward line with Mulligan, as his size would make him a handful for anyone.

Peter Harte will definitely start, and will be a key player. As good a young prospect as there is. Wing forward is most likely, but replacing Jordan (if rumours are true) is also an option.

Paddy McNeice and Ciaran Girvan would have to step up quite a bit, may be a bit soon for both of them, while Mattie Donnelly will push hard but may be a little slow for FF on a senior team. Ronan McNabb will push for consideration if he can get fit and get a run with the U-21s. Ronan O'Neill and Richie Donnelly are too young just yet.

The U-21s are crucial to Tyrone's success at senior level this year and next. This is a competition that Tyrone have the talent to win, and a lengthy run at least is essential. We need 3-4 of these lads pushing for places on our first 15 this year, particularly in the forwards.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Tyrone's championship prospects 2011 Empty Re: Tyrone's championship prospects 2011

Post  North Side Gael Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 am

Tyrone will do well this year i feel, i dont believe winning the competition to be too big an ask, i think winning div2 if they can will get the hunger going again maybe.

The minors of kyle coneys era havent got going yet, but i think when they click or come of age they will replace the dead wood on the current set up and bring the county to further sam success.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Tyrone's championship prospects 2011 Empty Re: Tyrone's championship prospects 2011

Post  hipster 2 Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 pm

tyrone are now back in the chasing pack along with dublin and down and a couple of others kerry maybe just ahead of these teams . cork are the team out on their own at the moment , so i would say tyrone getting to the semi s this year would be deemed successful as they start to rebuild
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm

hipster 2 wrote:tyrone are now back in the chasing pack along with dublin and down and a couple of others kerry maybe just ahead of these teams . cork are the team out on their own at the moment , so i would say tyrone getting to the semi s this year would be deemed successful as they start to rebuild

At last, a Dub on this site who knows his football!

Fair enough comments there Hipster. Although I'd love an all-ireland, and would still harbour faint hopes, I guess I would be happy with a semi, so long as there was solid evidence of rebuilding. A semi with the old guard would not be as positive.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Agree with Hipster there too. Ulster is also not as strong as it was but if Donegal can build on League form they may be useful around the C'ship - with Down having a say too. The main others - Armagh, Derry, Monaghan - are all going in the wrong direction IMO. And keep the posts coming here - I'm building the dossier for Giller! Laughing
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Agree with Hipster there too. Ulster is also not as strong as it was but if Donegal can build on League form they may be useful around the C'ship - with Down having a say too. The main others - Armagh, Derry, Monaghan - are all going in the wrong direction IMO. And keep the posts coming here - I'm building the dossier for Giller! Laughing

Don't worry about the dossier for giller- it will be the same as the one i sent him last year.. Wink
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Ulster championship is irrelevant to Tyrone.

I still think Harte will stick to his rigid formula, which means few individual minor / U21 talents appearing.

Kerry have just suffered a big loss, and really there is not a lot out there. Cork, Kerry, after that much as Hipster says. Let's face it, on paper Antrim look slightly better than Down and Down made the final last year.

I have said for a while, dedicated panel, two scoring forwards, will take you a long way, but I think a semi would be great for Tyrone.

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Having watched the U21's last night I'd say Pete Harte is definitely in the starting fifteen. Where to play him is the problem and it could be a case that he is moved between the half back and half forward lines but he certainly is a very versatile player and is pretty accurate in front of goal. McKenna may have a wee bit more to do if he is to get a midfield or half forward berth considering how loyal Mickey is to Davy, Hub, McGinley and Colm Cavanagh. McKenna should be a good fresh option to bring into the team at latter stages of the game especially when the likes of Hub and McGinley begin to get tired. McNeice and Girvan are a little bit off senior material yet it would seem. I also don't think Coney will get into the starting 15 and may also be utilised as a sub.

Mickey has a vast array of options at his disposal at present but my worry is that he will go with the tried and tested as opposed to taking a gamble with the likes of Coney, McKenna, McNabb or Mattie Donnelly. So expect to see Dooher again which I believe is a backward step to be honest and if we produce the same hand as we have done in '09 and 10 then expect the same exit most likely at the semi final stage unless some fresh faces are introduced. Not necessarily my team but believe Mickey will go with something like this:
McConnell
C Gormley
Joe McMahon
Jordan
Davy Harte
Justin McMahon
Ryan McMenamin
Hub Hughes
Colm Cavanagh
Pete Harte
Brian McGuigan
Sean Cavanagh
Martin Penrose
Stevy O'Neill
Eoin Mulligan

first five replacements ; McGinley, Dooher, Cassidy, McKenna, Carlin.
Not much difference really but injuries will certainly haunt this ageing panel throughout the year!!
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Why Jordan in the corner Mugsy? Not his natural position
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:31 am

bocerty wrote:Why Jordan in the corner Mugsy? Not his natural position

Boc, this is what I believe Mickey will go with barring injuries for the championship or something very similar to this. How many teams now play a 3 man full forward line. Jordan may have the number 4 jersey but don't think for a moment he'll be stuck in the corner so to speak.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Whatever about the positions, I'd suspect that you are spot on with at least 12 of those selections Mugsy, injuries permitting. The ones I don't see starting are:

Jordan - Peter Harte likely to play at wing-half back now;
Stevie O'Neill - Mark Donnelly, limited though he is, might have done enough to get a crack at things here. Can't see O'Neill starting;
Ricey/Davey - I have a feeling that one of these will lose out, probably to Martin Swift.

Now, like yourself, that wouldn't be my selection, but I think that is the way things are shaping up, unless the U21s win an all-ireland and, on the back of that, Mickey decides to take a chance on one of Coney, McNabb or Mattie Donnelly.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Whatever about the positions, I'd suspect that you are spot on with at least 12 of those selections Mugsy, injuries permitting. The ones I don't see starting are:

Jordan - Peter Harte likely to play at wing-half back now;
Stevie O'Neill - Mark Donnelly, limited though he is, might have done enough to get a crack at things here. Can't see O'Neill starting;
Ricey/Davey - I have a feeling that one of these will lose out, probably to Martin Swift.

Now, like yourself, that wouldn't be my selection, but I think that is the way things are shaping up, unless the U21s win an all-ireland and, on the back of that, Mickey decides to take a chance on one of Coney, McNabb or Mattie Donnelly.

i think its safe to assume that Jordan wont be back, he is a big loss to us but graveyards are full of indispensable people. Who takes his place is a tough call but young Harte certainly fits the bill, McNabb could be an option there too but unless injuries clear up soon he is likely to have to settle for a place on the bench. O'Neill has jsut become a dad so his focus may have switched to things closer to home and he is having an indifferent season again with injuries and it seems that playing conditions as much as anything may dictate his availability.

Not so sure Swift will get a run out come the championship TC, personally i hope your right as he is a great lad and would love to see him getting a run in the team but something tells me he wont. Not sure what our first 15 would be but i will have a think about it and post it when i figure it out!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Would agree with all that Boc, and just realised that I only offered 2 new names (Swift & Donnelly) while replacing 3 of Mugsy's. In addition to Swift, and this should make you happy, I also think that Carlin will start in the first game.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:08 am

mugsys_barber wrote:Having watched the U21's last night I'd say Pete Harte is definitely in the starting fifteen. Where to play him is the problem and it could be a case that he is moved between the half back and half forward lines but he certainly is a very versatile player and is pretty accurate in front of goal. McKenna may have a wee bit more to do if he is to get a midfield or half forward berth considering how loyal Mickey is to Davy, Hub, McGinley and Colm Cavanagh. McKenna should be a good fresh option to bring into the team at latter stages of the game especially when the likes of Hub and McGinley begin to get tired. McNeice and Girvan are a little bit off senior material yet it would seem. I also don't think Coney will get into the starting 15 and may also be utilised as a sub.

Mickey has a vast array of options at his disposal at present but my worry is that he will go with the tried and tested as opposed to taking a gamble with the likes of Coney, McKenna, McNabb or Mattie Donnelly. So expect to see Dooher again which I believe is a backward step to be honest and if we produce the same hand as we have done in '09 and 10 then expect the same exit most likely at the semi final stage unless some fresh faces are introduced. Not necessarily my team but believe Mickey will go with something like this:
McConnell
C Gormley
Joe McMahon
Jordan
Davy Harte
Justin McMahon
Ryan McMenamin
Hub Hughes
Colm Cavanagh
Pete Harte
Brian McGuigan
Sean Cavanagh
Martin Penrose
Stevy O'Neill
Eoin Mulligan

first five replacements ; McGinley, Dooher, Cassidy, McKenna, Carlin.
Not much difference really but injuries will certainly haunt this ageing panel throughout the year!!

Mugsy that team would be destroyed if they were to reach the last 8 of the championship-The Midfield would be out run no pace-FF only Penrose is up to championship pace..Mcguigan at 11 would be found out to..

Gormley in the corner wouldn't last either..

The way Ulster football is played that team could win Ulster Championship..After that its the luck of the draw..

The Dubs would love to play that team.....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 am

I'm not sure if it is his hatred of Tyrone, the law of averages, or an emerging understanding of football, but Mullins has finally got something right!

That side is too slow, and could win Ulster, but wouldn't win an all-ireland. Davy Harte, Gormley, Ricey, Hub, Mugsy, O'Neill, McGuigan - we could get away with a few of them, but not that many, especially when the likes of McGinley and Dooher will be coming off the bench.

I appreciate Mugsy that you were picking Mickey's probable side, not your own. What would be your selection for the first game (assuming Jordan isn't there)?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I'm not sure if it is his hatred of Tyrone, the law of averages, or an emerging understanding of football, but Mullins has finally got something right!

That side is too slow, and could win Ulster, but wouldn't win an all-ireland. Davy Harte, Gormley, Ricey, Hub, Mugsy, O'Neill, McGuigan - we could get away with a few of them, but not that many, especially when the likes of McGinley and Dooher will be coming off the bench.

I appreciate Mugsy that you were picking Mickey's probable side, not your own. What would be your selection for the first game (assuming Jordan isn't there)?

You just can't help yourself TC- stick to the topic
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 am

Last time I pay you a compliment Mullins Rolling Eyes
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Write off Tyrone at your peril. affraid
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Write off Tyrone at your peril. affraid

Mickey Harte more or less did that today, saying that you would expect the winner of the all-ireland to come from division 1. Whether or not he believes it, there is a lot of truth in what he has said.

You are right RKF, in that Tyrone can't be written off at this stage, particularly given the general mediocrity of most of what's out there. However, despite some very good performances, we were too slow in 2009, too slow in 2010, and we will be too slow in 2011, unless 3-4 new players are introduced and make rapid progress.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:Write off Tyrone at your peril. affraid

Mickey Harte more or less did that today, saying that you would expect the winner of the all-ireland to come from division 1. Whether or not he believes it, there is a lot of truth in what he has said.

You are right RKF, in that Tyrone can't be written off at this stage, particularly given the general mediocrity of most of what's out there. However, despite some very good performances, we were too slow in 2009, too slow in 2010, and we will be too slow in 2011, unless 3-4 new players are introduced and make rapid progress.

Tc maybe you could put up Tyrone team that you would start in the First round of the championship.. Exclamation
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Dismissed living in the past.. Very Happy

Last edited by mullins on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm

mullins i would say mickey harte could only name ten players who will start its still early days
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Joe McMahon got his jaw broke in an off the ball incident playing for his club today and Martin Swift had to retire early due to injury, not sure if it was a thigh or hamstring.

Dooher was sent of playing for his club too
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 am

bocerty wrote:Joe McMahon got his jaw broke in an off the ball incident playing for his club today and Martin Swift had to retire early due to injury, not sure if it was a thigh or hamstring.

It's an ill wind that blows no good!

Seriously though, the other 2 would be losses, Joey huge...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:Joe McMahon got his jaw broke in an off the ball incident playing for his club today and Martin Swift had to retire early due to injury, not sure if it was a thigh or hamstring.

It's an ill wind that blows no good!

Seriously though, the other 2 would be losses, Joey huge...

Enda McGinley was carried of in Errigal Ciarans game too - talk about bad luck Mad Mad Mad Mad
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next