GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Championship 2011: your memories

+4
Podger
Real Kerry Fan
Thomas Clarke
Parouisa
8 posters

Go down

Football Championship 2011: your memories Empty Football Championship 2011: your memories

Post  Parouisa Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

As a a Dublin fan 2011 will live long in the memory. The last 10 minutes of the Championship provided some of the most amazing twists, events and memories at any sporting occasion I have ever attended.

The memories? From a Dublin perspective we got off to a good start versus Laois and only for Culliton's heroics could have had a hatful. Cluxton kicked three 45s that day too - a sign of what was to come? The semi v Kildare was a good game but again we lost a man through red. Kildare showed no ambition I felt with an extra man and four points down. So to win with the late point when Bernard was fouled seemed fair enough to me. Wexford was probably our worst performance of the season and only for Masterson's blunder (poor lad, it wasn't his season) and McCarthy's cracker we may well have gone backdoor. You couldn't see us winning Sam after that one.

But the QF v Tyrone produced our most complete 70 minutes of the season when Connolly finally delivered on his promise. A miserably wet Saturday evening had me thinking of 2008 but instead we produced the masterclass this time. Some great scores from Diarmuid and the Brogans ensured a great evening that was only lacking a Dublin goal or two.

The semi v Donegal was pretty appalling no matter what way you look at it and to come out with a 2 point win was all that mattered. It doesn't deserve much other comment.

The final? Well where do you start. In control for most of the first half and restricting Kerry to 1-1 for 32 minutes before going 3 points up early in the second. Looking good but then Kerry took over and we were on the ropes. McManamon came on and the rest is history. The last seven minutes were simply unbelievable. Still a point down after the goal, Kevin Nolan stepped up to the plate with what was an unbelievable score and his first ever in the Championship. Cue delirium. Bernard pops up for another fine score, cue hysteria. Donaghy lands a monster, cue cardiac problems. Such tension and drama, simply unreal! Then McManamon is grounded and up steps Cluxton. I have to say I had every faith in him and it was over as soon as it left his foot, which you could tell by the noise from the Hill. There is a superb photo of Cluxton just after striking the ball and it sailing towards the posts with the Hill and the scoreboard in the background which I will buy and have him sign before putting it up somewhere in the house, pride of place. It is the iconic picture of that final. The atmosphere of those moments and after were just incredible and will live with me forever or even longer. And with no pitch invasion it was even better with everybody able to savour the player's celebrations as the tannoy belted out some crackers - including Crazy World by Aslan. Very apt.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Football Championship 2011: your memories Empty Re: Football Championship 2011: your memories

Post  Parouisa Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 am

Aside from Dublin memories I really enjoyed the game between Armagh and Down. A thoroughly entertaining game despite the conditions with a masterclass by Jamie Clarke. When I think of Connacht I remember lousy weather but some great scores by Donie Shine. In Munster the Cork-Kerry clash was memorable for the way one team was superb in either half! Cian Ward's 4-3 haul against the auld enemy was a great performance in Leinster.

When the action returned to HQ the goals were memorable. McLoughlin for Mayo v Cork, Dazza O'Sullivan for Kerry and Tomas Connor for Kildare. The excitement of Kildare v Donegal even if the aesthetics were absent. And it was good to have the four provincial finalists in the semis and good to have a shock on the way in Cork v Mayo. Not a bad season all told but still too many wrong calls by officials, though not in the Final. Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Football Championship 2011: your memories Empty Re: Football Championship 2011: your memories

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 am

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am

Parouisa wrote: Not a bad season all told but still too many wrong calls by officials, though not in the Final.
Laughing
Sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Nobody has any memories of the Championship?
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes we were robbed by a ref and a filthy negative Donegal team
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Swings and roundabouts Podger. Twasn't an overly memorable championship really....
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam/Bob Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:48 am

Dublin Gaa gave me an amazing year in 2011 Thank You.......2012 will be better

BELIEVE

Sam/Bob

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:23 am

Sam/Bob wrote:Dublin Gaa gave me an amazing year in 2011 Thank You.......2012 will be better

BELIEVE

My favourite memory of C/ship 2011 concerns the frenzy we had here on a few occasions, when former posters, bitten by the jibes of rustics, made wild and lurid accusations against their rural brethren, that were as un-sightly as they were un-warranted.

Indeed, there was even an occasion when rural posters were mildly chastised for their rustic approach....(Subsequently cleared by GAAFan)..

Fortunately, the forum is now shut of all these condescending types (well almost) but you would, by times, when squatting on the old thunder-box, recall the banter and madness of Mullins and Hipster and patronising smugness of JayoCluxton....

They weren't the worst by any means and it's sad to think they were driven off the forum by a quango of culchies headed by Puke and Mossbags...

Oh Yes, on the thread, the best game of the year was Dublin/Tyrone...Everything a purist could desire, classic scores off the hands, honest and sporting effort, raking balls into space/to hand, and played in a good spirit.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 pm

I would rate this the best Championship since the introduction of the Qualifiers.

The lasting memories will include: Graham Geraghty's intercounty career stretching into it's 20th season, the Donegal and Kildare thriller with Cassidy's point at the end sealing the win, Colm Cooper's masterclass in the semi-final and later his goal in the All-Ireland final and Dublin's All-Ireland final comeback including McMenamon's goal and points from Nolan and Brogan. Donaghy's point was special too but it was cancelled by an even more special point by Cluxton.

From a Meath point of view, Cian Ward's four goals in Breffni Park, and Kevin Reilly's dominance of the full-back position was pleasing. The u21 win over Dublin in Pairc Tailteann back in March was an enthralling match too, and the success of some of those u21s in the senior side was encouraging.

Leitrim's win over Sligo, Carlow's win over Louth and London's win over Fermanagh (as well as taking Mayo to ET) provided those counties with some hope. But by and large, the championship was short on shocks.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 pm

I thought it was a good Championship too. While there were a number of controversies (scores/square balls) earlier in the season they seemed to fizzle out. There were no unsavoury incidents or player controversies either other than the forced apology on Masterson. 'Non final' players that stood out were Lacey, the O'Connors of Mayo and Cork, Doyle and Jamie Clarke.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 am

Worst Championship since 1982. Sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Robbed by a disgraceful referee.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

Welcome back KK. Very lonely here as triona has abandoned ship again. Sad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down