GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  Grenvile Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Going back over old comments to prove people wrong and throwing petty insults. Grow up lads..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I don't begrudge McIlroy one bit of success and hope he goes on and win another dozen or so majors but it doesn't change the fact that he is a curly headed fcuk
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Going back over old comments to prove people wrong and throwing petty insults. Grow up lads..

So it's fine for some to throw insults and run a guy down, but it isn't fine to highlight it when these 'experts' they are proven wrong?

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Well they know how to make them in Ireland.

The Limerick chap 4-1 up in the final set of the tennis and goes on to lose the next five games.

Unbelievable. Hate being from Ireland. We never win anything sports-wise.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:01 pm

When it comes to Golf/were an amazing little nation at producing winners

Remember Harry Bradshaw class act.. Very Happy
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
The Puke wrote:He is a curly headed fcuk

I wonder what multi-millionnaire, world-feted, US Open champion Rory McIlroy thinks of you? Oh yeah, he's never heard of you.

He has heard of Clare.

He said to me "is that the crowd who judas Henry Shefflin and then lie down against us?"

I had to confirm that this was indeed the case.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:07 pm

mullins wrote:When it comes to Golf/were an amazing little nation at producing winners

My da always told the story of Harry landing in a broken bottle in the Open which cost him the tournament.

RThe old lad loved harry.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:26 pm

patrique wrote:
mullins wrote:When it comes to Golf/were an amazing little nation at producing winners

My da always told the story of Harry landing in a broken bottle in the Open which cost him the tournament.

Old Christy was the king. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:
patrique wrote:

Old Christy was the king. Very Happy

But of course. I remember Christy winning a world record prize money once, about £1,000 or something.

Jaysus I must be old.....
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 am

who do you all fancy to shine at this weeks Open? Can McIlroy make it two-in-a-row or is all the hype from his win in US and his lack of competitive golf for the last 3 weeks work against him.

Will Luke Donald follow up last weeks Scottish Open victory with another good 4 days of golf or will it all go t!ts up for him like it usually does. Can Westwood finally shake off the runner up tag he has gotten himself. Can Garcia find his touch with the putter or will it be a rank outsider who will end up victorious come Sunday?

Might stick a few quid on Westwood and Garcia.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm

This week I am doing 5X2 euro win bets on as follows:
Matt Kuchar 33/1
Padraig Harrington 35/1
Retief Goosen 50/1
Alvaro Quiros 90/1
Ryo Ishikawa 175/1

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Links golf with a wind depends a lot on the bounce of the ball and luck of the draw.

Maybe someone with a links background? A little known Irish lad with a lovely brogue, Graham McDowell could do well.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm

patrique wrote:Links golf with a wind depends a lot on the bounce of the ball and luck of the draw.

Maybe someone with a links background? A little known Irish lad with a lovely brogue, Graham McDowell could do well.

Brogue ? its a tad mid atlantic - Although if you can play golf in Gander "the Mainland" should be a stroll.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:12 am

patrique wrote:Links golf with a wind depends a lot on the bounce of the ball and luck of the draw.

Think you could make a claim for many of the Irish having good links heritage.

Harrington and McIlroy both won their first notable amateur titles on links (the West), and Lowry is also a former winner in Rosses Point.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:39 am

black&white wrote:and Lowry is also a former winner in Rosses Point.

Not forgetting Baltray either!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 am

black&white wrote:

Think you could make a claim for many of the Irish having good links heritage.

Harrington and McIlroy both won their first notable amateur titles on links (the West), and Lowry is also a former winner in Rosses Point.

Lowry????

McDowell was BORN and bred in Portrush, the home of links golf.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 am

But McDowell has struggled in recent years in this competition, his best finish was tied 11th in 05. But it's the Open anything can happen.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am

McDowell has played some very good golf over the last 6 weeks, but always seems to throw in a couple of bad holes that ruin his score. If he can avoid any shockers (like his 9 last weekend in Scotland), he should go well.

I wouldn't worry about McIlroy not having played a tournament since the US Open, as he normally goes well after a break. He hits the ball high, which may come against him if the wind picks up at the weekend, but his record in the majors over the last 18 months has been exceptional. Interestingly, after destroying the field at the 1997 Masters (his first major), Tiger Woods failed to finish in the top 15 in any of the remaining majors that year. McIlroy could experience something similar although, to be fair, his record prior to his madien victory is much better than Tiger's was, indicating that he has the consistency to challenge again.

As the top 2 in the world, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald are obvious challengers, with Donald in very good form. If he drives the ball well he will win, but this is the weakest part of his game, and has often let him down in big tournaments. Westwood should go well, and it is hard to see him out of the top 10. A very possible winner.

Of the Americans, Steve Stricker is the man in form, having won twice in the last month. He is a good competitor, and a seriously good putter. He has made the last 4 cuts in the Open, and has 2 top 10 finishes in that time. At 35-1, he looks the value pick, and would be my choice alongside Westwood. Outside of Stricker, Matt Kucher is a solid golfer who played well last week in Scotland. He is worth considering.

I've seen a lot of people tipping Sergio Garcia, but I don't think he putts well enough, while young Matteo Mannasero is very talented, but too young. Jason Day hasn't played enough links golf, but don't be surprised to see Franceco Molinari have a good tournament. Of course, on a windy links course, anything can happen and, as Patrique says, tee-off times can have a huge effect.

One thing I noticed while looking at the odds last night, was that while McIlroy was 8-1 favourite, Sandy Lyle is the rank outsider in the field, at 2000-1. Everyone talks about McIlroy's talent, but most forget that Lyle was equally gifted before his game fell apart. He is generally acknowledged as the most naturally talented European golfer of his generation, but his game blew up shortly after winning his 2nd major title. A tale of caution for McIlroy, and those placing enormous expectations on his young shoulders.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:40 am

patrique wrote:

Moveable Obstruction/ Free Drop ?

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

The curly headed fcuk!
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 am

patrique wrote:

There's a small university town on the east coast of Scotland that has ownership of that particular title..
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:23 pm

black&white wrote:
patrique wrote:

There's a small university town on the east coast of Scotland that has ownership of that particular title..

The Kingdom of Dalriada (North Antrim) got iunto a load of boats, crossed the sea and founded Scotland. Gave them bag pipes (they still haven't got the joke) and golf, and told them they could pretend they started it, where Andrew McNaughton used to live.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

OMAR wrote:
patrique wrote:

Moveable Obstruction/ Free Drop ?

Not then. especially if you were Irish

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:26 pm

The Puke wrote:The curly headed fcuk!

Yes, he grew up timbering Clare men.

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:McDowell has played some very good golf over the last 6 weeks, but always seems to throw in a couple of bad holes that ruin his score. If he can avoid any shockers (like his 9 last weekend in Scotland), he should go well.

I wouldn't worry about McIlroy not having played a tournament since the US Open, as he normally goes well after a break. He hits the ball high, which may come against him if the wind picks up at the weekend, but his record in the majors over the last 18 months has been exceptional. Interestingly, after destroying the field at the 1997 Masters (his first major), Tiger Woods failed to finish in the top 15 in any of the remaining majors that year. McIlroy could experience something similar although, to be fair, his record prior to his madien victory is much better than Tiger's was, indicating that he has the consistency to challenge again.

As the top 2 in the world, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald are obvious challengers, with Donald in very good form. If he drives the ball well he will win, but this is the weakest part of his game, and has often let him down in big tournaments. Westwood should go well, and it is hard to see him out of the top 10. A very possible winner.

Of the Americans, Steve Stricker is the man in form, having won twice in the last month. He is a good competitor, and a seriously good putter. He has made the last 4 cuts in the Open, and has 2 top 10 finishes in that time. At 35-1, he looks the value pick, and would be my choice alongside Westwood. Outside of Stricker, Matt Kucher is a solid golfer who played well last week in Scotland. He is worth considering.

I've seen a lot of people tipping Sergio Garcia, but I don't think he putts well enough, while young Matteo Mannasero is very talented, but too young. Jason Day hasn't played enough links golf, but don't be surprised to see Franceco Molinari have a good tournament. Of course, on a windy links course, anything can happen and, as Patrique says, tee-off times can have a huge effect.

One thing I noticed while looking at the odds last night, was that while McIlroy was 8-1 favourite, Sandy Lyle is the rank outsider in the field, at 2000-1. Everyone talks about McIlroy's talent, but most forget that Lyle was equally gifted before his game fell apart. He is generally acknowledged as the most naturally talented European golfer of his generation, but his game blew up shortly after winning his 2nd major title. A tale of caution for McIlroy, and those placing enormous expectations on his young shoulders.

No one since the 2nd World War has won their first major and then immediately won the next one. The "insiders" reckon a top ten finish by Rory would be amazing. He has however learned much because he scrambled really well today, all over the show on the back nine but held it together.

Last year that would have been 80.

But McDole (as in the brew or even McDowell) looked good.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next