GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rugby Thread

+20
ormond lad
Parouisa
mossbags
Real Kerry Fan
RMDrive
North Side Gael
Grenvile
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
redhandman
SamiPremier08
OMAR
patrique
mullins
Boxtyeater
black&white
hurlingguru
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
Jayo Cluxton
24 posters

Page 7 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Go down

The Rugby Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Superb performance by Munster. Ground it out brilliantly. 3 up and built phase after phase in Scarlets 22 in last 10. Botha becoming a real asset in the front row after a slow start. The bench is unbelievable too. Start the young lads and close out with Leamy, Hayes, O'Callaghan and Horan coming on. Great stuff!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Parouisa wrote:Superb performance by Munster. Ground it out brilliantly. 3 up and built phase after phase in Scarlets 22 in last 10. Botha becoming a real asset in the front row after a slow start. The bench is unbelievable too. Start the young lads and close out with Leamy, Hayes, O'Callaghan and Horan coming on. Great stuff!

Leamy was very good off the bench today as was O'Leary. Great to see O'Connell continuing his excellent form of the past few months, while James Coughlin is a very underrated player, good leader and ball carrier. He was packing in pro rugby a couple of years ago as he couldn't get his place, good to see things work out for him

Connaught put up a decent showing against Gloucester as well
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Yeah Coughlin was immense at 8. O'Mahony shaping up well too - presume he was injured when taken off - my Irish not that good! Ronan is showing up very well too. Murray was not great but the good thing about him was that after a lot of mistakes he was still willing to try things. Munster made a lot of the new Welsh superstars look ordinary - and in their own ground! Good to see! And Paulie as unbelievable!

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Sky reported that it was a tactical switch and that O'Mahoney wasn't injured.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am

The Puke wrote:Sky reported that it was a tactical switch and that O'Mahoney wasn't injured.

Bit surprised at that - very impressed with O'Mahoney this season but Leamy is a real dog of war and was abrasive from the minute he came on - not surprising!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Parouisa wrote:
The Puke wrote:Sky reported that it was a tactical switch and that O'Mahoney wasn't injured.

Bit surprised at that - very impressed with O'Mahoney this season but Leamy is a real dog of war and was abrasive from the minute he came on - not surprising!

Unconfirmed reports that O'Mahoney has a broken jaw.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Champagne rugby from the defending champions in the Aviva.
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Not a sport. Bah!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Anyone who likes a good insight into professional sport could do worse than read Matt Williams column in the Irish Times on Monday. Williams always speaks with typical Australian honesty and humour and his obvious intelligence comes through in what he writes. I found his description of Sydney particuarly funny and not one you'd get off the tourist board! Link to full article under.

"I will get off the plane in my home city of Sydney. I was born and bred there. Sydney is like a big boobed bimbo, physically beautiful, but not a brain in its head, but I still love her. From the giant “coat hanger” of a bridge, to the Opera House on our harbour, to our northern beaches, in my opinion, Sydney is the most beautiful city in the world."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1219/1224309256535.html

Meanwhile over in the Indo, Vincent Hogan pays a fine tribute to John Hayes - one of rugby's enduring characters in so many ways and a gentle giant if ever there was one.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-humble-hero-hayes-one-of-our-greatest-2967547.html
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:38 am

Just a query...Are Forumites encouraged to post photographs (taken with phone-cameras) of International and Provincial rugby footballers, dressed up as donkeys/elves/camels, asleep, in varying stages of in-eptidude in night clubs.....

As ever, contact Boxty....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:38 am

IRFU to limit foreign players
By John Harrington

Thursday, December 22, 2011

THE IRFU yesterday announced plans to limit the number of foreign rugby players at Munster, Leinster and Ulster.

From the start of the 2013/14 season, there will be only one non-Irish eligible player allowed in each of the 15 field positions across those provinces. That means if Munster field a foreign tight-head prop (like their current number 3, BJ Botha) then both Leinster and Ulster will have to field an Irish tight-head.

And if Leinster field a foreign right winger like Isa Nacewa, then both Munster and Ulster will have to field Irish number 14s. Provinces will no longer be allowed to renew the contracts of foreign players, and, when those players move on, the province will have to replace them with Irish players. So when Munster’s South African props Botha and Wian du Preez see out their contracts, Munster will have to field two Irish props.

It’s certainly going to make life more difficult for the three provinces (Connacht are exempt because they recently commenced a new development agreement with the IRFU), but IRFU chief executive Philip Browne is adamant it’s a measure that simply had to be made.

"We want a balance that will allow us continued success at provincial level and greater success at international level. It’s critical for the international team we take these steps. And we can’t allow a situation to develop where our provinces become overly dependent on foreign players because, in the long-run, that creates a real problem for the national team and Irish rugby.

It’s imperative the Irish team remains competitive and successful and that requires us to have Irish qualified players gaining continued experience at provincial level."

Not surprisingly, when the IRFU first discussed their plans with the provinces, they weren’t all that warmly received. "We spent a lot of time discussing it with the provinces and they would have preferred the status quo to remain," admits Browne.

"The provinces tend to look at things in two or three year blocks, whereas we look at the longer term and in terms of World Cup cycles. It just wasn’t a runner to leave things as they were, particularly with the challenges around succession planning in a number of positions on the field.

"We just couldn’t hang the future of the international team on the hope that players would emerge in those positions. We have to proactively plan to bring the players through.

"We don’t want to upset the natural balance too much. We want the provinces to be successful and foreign players will still be critical to that success."

The new system is likely to create some friction between the three provinces because there’s bound to be a scenario eventually where two or all three of them all want to recruit a foreign player in the same position.

"There’s no question that this will drive a lot of internal machinations by the provinces," admits IRFU director of rugby, Eddie Wigglesworth.

"I’m sure there will be various conversations that will go on at the beginning, during and at the end of the season about where players are going to go.

"The important thing from our perspective is that this isn’t a sudden imposition on the provinces. They have, in the main, the players they want for next season and in many respects the following season as well. There’s plenty of time in the process to get things in order and move on."

The IRFU will also impose two more restrictions on the provinces. All future injury replacement players will have to be Irish eligible, and all future foreign signings will have to be position specific.

"If you sign off on a player as a number 15, but want to play him in any other position when there are no exceptional scenarios that warrant that, then you will not get permission," explains Wigglesworth.

"You’ll have to play him as a 15."

Provincial coaches are unlikely to be pleased at having their hands tied in such a manner, and you’d wonder will it put off some of the most talented and ambitious from working with the Irish provinces in the future.

"We’ve got to make sure that doesn’t happen," admits Browne. "Both ourselves and the provinces will have to sell the system that we have. The proof will be in the pudding."

The provinces who adapt best to the new restrictions on foreign players will undoubtedly be those with the most productive academies, and Browne is hopeful this new contract policy will help ensure more and more academy graduates will progress to the top of the game.

"We’re spending about €2.5m a year on our academy structures and they’re churning out players," he says. "The worst possible scenario for us is that we have nowhere for those players to play because there are blockages in the system.

"So what we’re trying to do is loosen up some of those blockages without changing the whole system."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/rugby/irfu-to-limit-foreign-players-177998.html#ixzz1hG6MHsom
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Leinster got 2 super tries in the first 10 mins but had to put up with some dreadful decisions by the ref and even the TMO before eventually winning by 4. Munster didn't look great but bagged the 5 points. Ulster very impressive in Edinburgh but poor old Connaught a long way off the pace.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 am

Parouisa wrote:Leinster got 2 super tries in the first 10 mins but had to put up with some dreadful decisions by the ref and even the TMO before eventually winning by 4. Munster didn't look great but bagged the 5 points. Ulster very impressive in Edinburgh but poor old Connaught a long way off the pace.

The continuance of this thread mystifies me.. Mad This rugby-football cockology cannot be considered as a sport for the following reasons.

1. It is not a sport within the definitions of sport..ie. It has become a job/employer/salaried...
2. It affords "opportunities" for fat slobs to have a good feel of their opponents tackle....
3. It is followed, in the main, by scarf-wearing kuntz who would sh1t themselves rather than engage in physical attrition.

Not a sport, a thread unworthy of placement on GAA forum...The Rugby Thread - Page 7 Fighti20
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Leinster got 2 super tries in the first 10 mins but had to put up with some dreadful decisions by the ref and even the TMO before eventually winning by 4. Munster didn't look great but bagged the 5 points. Ulster very impressive in Edinburgh but poor old Connaught a long way off the pace.

The continuance of this thread mystifies me.. Mad This rugby-football cockology cannot be considered as a sport for the following reasons.

1. It is not a sport within the definitions of sport..ie. It has become a job/employer/salaried...
2. It affords "opportunities" for fat slobs to have a good feel of their opponents tackle....
3. It is followed, in the main, by scarf-wearing kuntz who would sh1t themselves rather than engage in physical attrition.

Not a sport, a thread unworthy of placement on GAA forum...The Rugby Thread - Page 7 Fighti20
1. if you are using that as a basis for rugby not being a sport, then every sport in the world which has professional athletes cannot be defined as a sport
2. Laughing

3. grow up, im sure all the rugby followers in moyross, ballynanty in limerick as well as the boggers in nenagh, cashel would love to be considered "scarf-wearing kuntz"

Why so bitter? did a rugby player make you cry, little child

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 am

I would honestly think if you stuck any of the 4 Provinces first XV out against Leitrim SF team (bar Connacht) they would hammer them. A far better sport than for what passes as football - or rugby - west of the Shannon. A region that sport has forgot completely. Possibly because the 'denizens' are more interesting in scamming ... a sport in itself ..
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:42 am

Parouisa wrote:I would honestly think if you stuck any of the 4 Provinces first XV out against Leitrim SF team (bar Connacht) they would hammer them. A far better sport than for what passes as football - or rugby - west of the Shannon. A region that sport has forgot completely. Possibly because the 'denizens' are more interesting in scamming ... a sport in itself ..

Lamentable riposte....A fair few grammatical errors to boot, such was your angst...

Cool down, it's only t'internet.. Very Happy
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Cool down, it's only t'internet.. Very Happy

Lol - I will take you to a rugby game some time. Pints and shorts freely available! Very Happy

As a Northside Dub I am only converted over the last decade in terms of attending etc - but a bloody great sport full of honesty, brutality and skill.

Incidentally great to hear Nigel Owen admonish the Treviso number scrum half tonight for back chatting him. He gave him a right warning culminating in ... 'this is not soccer'! Razz
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:50 am

ormond lad wrote:1. if you are using that as a basis for rugby not being a sport, then every sport in the world which has professional athletes cannot be defined as a sport
2. Laughing

3. grow up, im sure all the rugby followers in moyross, ballynanty in limerick as well as the boggers in nenagh, cashel would love to be considered "scarf-wearing kuntz"

1. Exactly my point, these games ie.soccerball, rogbee and even quicket are all money driven, hence not sports.
2. Fook off.
3. No growing to do gartsĂșn....PS I hate that Tipp kunt Eoin Kelly a ..... .....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:56 am

Parouisa wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Cool down, it's only t'internet.. Very Happy

Lol - I will take you to a rugby game some time. Pints and shorts freely available! Very Happy

As a Northside Dub I am only converted over the last decade in terms of attending etc - but a bloody great sport full of honesty, brutality and skill.

Incidentally great to hear Nigel Owen admonish the Treviso number scrum half tonight for back chatting him. He gave him a right warning culminating in ... 'this is not soccer'! Razz

Fooking embarrassing statement by Owen. I cringed on hearing it.. Nasty swipe, your sport is what it is and doesn't need comparisons to justify behaviour. You don't speak back to the Ref because it's not accepted in Rugby, not because you don't want to be like the soccer.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  ormond lad Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
ormond lad wrote:1. if you are using that as a basis for rugby not being a sport, then every sport in the world which has professional athletes cannot be defined as a sport
2. Laughing

1. Exactly my point, these games ie.soccerball, rogbee and even quicket are all money driven, hence not sports.
2. Fook off.
3. No growing to do gartsĂșn....PS I hate that Tipp kunt Eoin Kelly a ..... .....
You seem to be an incedibly bitter b*stard over a sport that you more than likely are unable to play
So only sports where "everyone" doesnt get a cent is considered a sport. Laughing

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:03 am

Parouisa wrote:Lol - I will take you to a rugby game some time. Pints and shorts freely available! Very Happy

Oddly, I've been to a few in my time.. Boxty has fond memories of Ginger McLoughlin's try at Twickers 80/81(Under Boxty's nose) and many days, in whatever anyone else may call it, the rugby capital of the world, the old Arms Park....

Boxty has in his reportoir, a mighty tale involving "The Pontypool Front Row", Willie Duggan and the writer... affraid
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 am

ormond lad wrote:You seem to be an incedibly bitter b*stard over a sport that you more than likely are unable to play
So only sports where "everyone" doesnt get a cent is considered a sport. Laughing

I'm amazed I'm wasting time on you.....look up sport in the dictionary...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:11 am

Jonsmith wrote:Fooking embarrassing statement by Owen. I cringed on hearing it.. Nasty swipe, your sport is what it is and doesn't need comparisons to justify behaviour. You don't speak back to the Ref because it's not accepted in Rugby, not because you don't want to be like the soccer.

Harsh JS. I don't think Owen (and he is a bit full of himself) was saying that to embarrass soccer. He said it because it is unacceptable - unlike soccer - and he was right. I think he was dead right. Don't get too defensive defending the boorish moronic behaviour that is prevalent is soccer - on the pitch and off it.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:18 am

Parouisa wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:Fooking embarrassing statement by Owen. I cringed on hearing it.. Nasty swipe, your sport is what it is and doesn't need comparisons to justify behaviour. You don't speak back to the Ref because it's not accepted in Rugby, not because you don't want to be like the soccer.

Harsh JS. I don't think Owen (and he is a bit full of himself) was saying that to embarrass soccer. He said it because it is unacceptable - unlike soccer - and he was right. I think he was dead right. Don't get too defensive defending the boorish moronic behaviour that is prevalent is soccer - on the pitch and off it.

Why mention soccer? Why not just say, "That is unacceptable behaviour" Why the need to bring soccer into it? I am not defending the behaviour within soccer. Had he said table tennis I would be of the same opinion. Your sport is what it is and you must be comfortable with that. Equally why I despise the "Why GAA is better than soccer lists" Be comfortable in your own skin, there seems to be a rush from other sports to compare themselves to soccer in a favourable light to justify their positive aspects..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 am

Sorry JS but because soccer is famous or more like notorious for it. Owen was within his rights to tell a player that it is not soccer where it is acceptable unfortunately for players to crowd, bawl at and sometimes manhandle a ref. I'm sure he didn't premeditate that line but it sure as hell stands up. Can't understand your read on it tbh.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next