GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today

+6
bocerty
patrique
Thomas Clarke
OMAR
3inarow08
Loyal2TheRoyal
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today Empty Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm

In his column in the Irish Independant today, Colm Keyes names his Top 100 Gaelic Footballers of the present day. I have shown his Top 10 below:

1. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
2. Tomas O'Se (Kerry)
3. Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
4. Brian Dooher (Tyrone)
5. Padraic Joyce (Galway)
6. Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry)
7. Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
8. Marc O'Se (Kerry)
9. Graham Canty (Cork)
10. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Keyes uses different criteria to what I would use, opting instead for players who have achieved most throughout the course of their careers rather than their current level of ability. He also fails to distingush between the more natural Gaelic Footballers and the less natural, and picks his Top 100 on player's overall worth to their respective teams. Of course, this is all open to one's interpretation of the line "Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today". I appreciate where Keyes is coming from but it's not the Top 10 which I would have picked. Mine are below:

1. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
2. Padraic Joyce (Galway)
3. Marty Clarke (Down)
4. Niall McNamee (Offaly)
5. Stephen O’Neill (Tyrone)
6. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
7. Declan O’Sullivan (Kerry)
8. James Kavanagh (Kildare)
9. Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
10. Benny Coulter (Down)

Everyone will inevitably produce a different list but if asked to name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today, who would you choose?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today Empty Re: Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today

Post  3inarow08 Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:19 pm

No Paul Galvin Loyal? Razz
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today Empty Re: Name your Top 10 Gaelic Footballers of Today

Post  OMAR Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 pm

1. Colm Cooper (Kerry)
2. Declan O sullivan (Kerry)
3. Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone)
4. Padraic Joyce (Galway)
5. Thomas O se (kerry)
6. Stephen O Neill (Tyrone)
7. Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
8. Stephen McDonnell (Armagh)
9. Marty Clarke (Down)
10. Philip Jordan (Tyrone)

Coulter or Micheal Murphy being best runners up.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm

The Independent's list is a very strange one. As Loyal has summarised, it is rating the players on their achievements/performances in their whole career, hence the likes of Dooher & Joyce are in the top 5.

However, it seems to have diverted away from that criteria somewhere further down the list, and rated players on current form. For instance, Marty Clarke is rated 31st after 2 or 3 good games in this his first year, which is ahead of Eamonn O'Hara, Brian McGuigan & Dessie Dolan. Similarly, Barry Owens, arguably the best full-back of the last decade, and the only Fermanagh man ever to win 2 all-stars (an incredible achievement), is 81st, 43 places behind Donegal's Michael Murphy who, for all his talent, hasn't done a huge amount so far in his career.

That would be my biggest gripe with this list - the inconsistency. Yes, there are those that I think are over-rated (Alan Brogan 17th, Daniel Goulding 30th, Davy Harte 52nd, Tommy Griffin 67th and David Henry 75th jump to mind), and others under-rated (McGuigan 34th, O'Hara 39th, Owens 81st and Anthony Lynch 69th), but the biggest problem with this list is that it doesn't seem to know what it is ranking.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I like Keys. Perhaps it's not correct to say he went exclusively for player's career achievements over their current level ability, instead combining the two. There's always going to be flaws and question marks in any list like this.

I feel my Top 10 is comprehensive enough. Cooper is a genius, his name will be etched in the annals of GAA for the rest of eternity. Joyce, forever, rolling back the years, continues to amaze. Clarke, in his first season, perfected the quarterback role, and arguably was the driving force behind Down's aberrational season. McNamee is magnificent, almost beating Meath by himself last May, and after Gooch, the second most intelligent Gaelic Footballer on the planet. O'Neill, not the force of old, but even as his career enters the twilight stage, he is un-markable. Brogan, O'Sullivan, Kavanagh, Cavanagh and Coulter all fall into the category of footballers you'd pay to see regardless of who else is playing. They will all be remembered as very good footballers with the possibility of Cavanagh going down as a great on past performances and Brogan on future ones.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Keys summarised his criteria by saying that he was trying to assess how the players of today would rate in 25-50 years time, based on what we have seen so far. To clarify Loyal, is your list a Top 10 at the moment, or using the same criteria as Keys, i.e. which of the will be regarded as the best by generations to come?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Keys summarised his criteria by saying that he was trying to assess how the players of today would rate in 25-50 years time, based on what we have seen so far. To clarify Loyal, is your list a Top 10 at the moment, or using the same criteria as Keys, i.e. which of the will be regarded as the best by generations to come?

The best Gaelic Footballers in Ireland right now.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Gooch, Tomas O'Se, and Donaghy from Kerry are a must. Canty from Cork, and Brogan from Dublin. Kevin McGourty goes without saying.

If back to form Cavanagh from Tyrone, Galvin from Limerick and Kerry, possibly stevie Mac, although he is getting on.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Interesting that yourself an Omar both have Joyce still so high. Outstanding though he was, I wouldn't rate him in the top 10 anymore. I wouldn't have Cavanagh, O'Neill or Benny Coulter in there either.

For the top 10 at the moment (form over the last year or 2) I'd suggest...

1) Colm Cooper
2) Bernard Brogan
3) Paul Galvin
4) John Galvin
5) Justin McMahon
6) Declan O'Sullivan
7) Dermot Earley
8. Philip Jordan
9) Seanie Johnston
10) Marty Clarke
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Is that the Dermot earley of Kildare?

Not in yer man's league at all, sure he gave him a lesson last year, twice.

And that was playing out of position.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 pm

patrique wrote:Is that the Dermot earley of Kildare?

so two good performances (in Ps eyes albeit so there could be bias) in the one year suddenly projects you into the top 10 players in the country - interesting to say the least!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm

patrique wrote:Is that the Dermot earley of Kildare?

Wasn't that a couple of days after the death of Earley's father? Perhaps his mind was on other things.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 pm

His father was buried the day of the drawn game.

Top 10 - in no particular order ...

Gooch
Bernard Brogan
Padraig Joyce
Johnny Doyle
Philip Jordan
Seanie Johnston
Benny Coulter
John Galvin
Tomas O Se
Michael Murphy
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Bit of a Seanie Johnston love-in going on JC and TC!

JC - no Declan O' Sullivan?
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm

3inarow08 wrote:Bit of a Seanie Johnston love-in going on JC and TC!

3inarow wouldn't lose to much sleep about it...... Razz
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:His father was buried the day of the drawn game.

Top 10 - in no particular order ...

Gooch
Bernard Brogan
Padraig Joyce
Johnny Doyle
Philip Jordan
Seanie Johnston
Benny Coulter
John Galvin
Tomas O Se
Michael Murphy

1 Dub scratch
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Keys summarised his criteria by saying that he was trying to assess how the players of today would rate in 25-50 years time, based on what we have seen so far. To clarify Loyal, is your list a Top 10 at the moment, or using the same criteria as Keys, i.e. which of the will be regarded as the best by generations to come?

The best Gaelic Footballers in Ireland right now.

Looking back at it now, my Top 10 is a list of the footballers I'd pay most to go and watch (were there a price to go and see them).

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 pm

mullins wrote:

Love the flag Mullins!

Is it your own?
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:

Love the flag Mullins!

Is it your own?

Got it made in 07 had Dublin 007 Champions on it but had to take it of,after a Semi-Disaster against the kingdom.... Sad thats was the one that got away
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:56 pm

I picked mostly like Loyal - players I'd pay to see on their own with a few others who have been a huge influence on their team. I tried to keep it to one per county though had to give two to Kerry. The likes of the two Stevies, Dec O, Dermot E would be just under the 10. And Seanie J? Class act - love to watch him play - a pure natural. (Why d'ya think Cavan were 'our' team last year!)
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I picked mostly like Loyal - players I'd pay to see on their own with a few others who have been a huge influence on their team. I tried to keep it to one per county though had to give two to Kerry. The likes of the two Stevies, Dec O, Dermot E would be just under the 10. And Seanie J? Class act - love to watch him play - a pure natural. (Why d'ya think Cavan were 'our' team last year!)

I had a feeling that had something to do with it!
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:02 pm

mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:

Love the flag Mullins!

Is it your own?

Got it made in 07 had Dublin 007 Champions on it but had to take it of,after a Semi-Disaster against the kingdom.... Sad thats was the one that got away

You'll have to fit in the "Toma" bit somewhere!
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Gooch
Benny Coulter
Bernard Brogan
Tomas O'Se
Michael Murphy
Stevie McDonald
Marty Clarke
John Doyle
Seanie Johnston
Michael Meehan

The 10 footballers I would pay to see play on their own. It's a testament to Johnston that he's making a neutral's list given the team he's had around him compared to some of the rest.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:12 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:

Love the flag Mullins!

Is it your own?

Yeah i would if i got tickets for the lower tier... Razz
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 pm

mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
mullins wrote:

Love the flag Mullins!

Is it your own?

Yeah i would if i got tickets for the lower tier... Razz

Surely you know a ref in Meath from Tyrone that could give you a dig out on that score?
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next