GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should these things be left on the field

+14
mullins
hurlingguru
patrique
scoopmine
SamiPremier08
Thomas Clarke
bocerty
clash-of-da-ash
Jayo Cluxton
mid-mon man
JimWexford
Grenvile
RMDrive
whiterbananas
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should these things be left on the field Empty Should these things be left on the field

Post  whiterbananas Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 pm

I posted this on another website just to gauge some opinion but unfortunately it disappeared after about 5 replies. So ill give it a go here......

Would be interested to know what people's opinion on this would be. I was playing a game fairly recently where me and my direct opponent were having a fair old ding dong battle. Alot of big hits going in (though fair ones it has to be said). As we contested one particular ball my opponent caught me a fair old rattle. I ended up in a heap on the ground. I was just winded but it was so uncomfortable. Play moved on and my opponent walked back to see if i was ok. I was still insensed as i was still winded. The ref wasnt looking so as my opponent picked me up off the ground i gobbed straight into his face. Of course he immediately swung for me (and missed) but the linesman spotted it and drew the ref's attention to it. He was sent off. As he left the field i walked alongside him waving goodbye and then i spat in his ear. At the end of the game (which we lost incidently) i went to the bother of seeking this guy out just to shake his hand and say "well done, good game". He refused to shake my hand. My point is shouldnt these things be left on the field? Surely lads can accept that whatever happended happened, shake hands and get on with their lives?

I would be genuinely interested to know what people feel about this? Do you think this guy was petty to behave in such a way after the game?
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Should these things be left on the field Empty Re: Should these things be left on the field

Post  RMDrive Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 pm

I can't understand his reaction to be honest. If you are not big enough to shake the hand of a fellow athlete after a game then shame on you.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Should these things be left on the field Empty Re: Should these things be left on the field

Post  Grenvile Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

You'll always have one person who will want to carry grievances off the pitch with them. Obviously he's just a poor sportsman WB don't let one bad incident change your style of football.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:39 pm

whiterbananas wrote:I posted this on another website just to gauge some opinion but unfortunately it disappeared after about 5 replies. So ill give it a go here......

Would be interested to know what people's opinion on this would be. I was playing a game fairly recently where me and my direct opponent were having a fair old ding dong battle. Alot of big hits going in (though fair ones it has to be said). As we contested one particular ball my opponent caught me a fair old rattle. I ended up in a heap on the ground. I was just winded but it was so uncomfortable. Play moved on and my opponent walked back to see if i was ok. I was still insensed as i was still winded. The ref wasnt looking so as my opponent picked me up off the ground i gobbed straight into his face. Of course he immediately swung for me (and missed) but the linesman spotted it and drew the ref's attention to it. He was sent off. As he left the field i walked alongside him waving goodbye and then i spat in his ear. At the end of the game (which we lost incidently) i went to the bother of seeking this guy out just to shake his hand and say "well done, good game". He refused to shake my hand. My point is shouldnt these things be left on the field? Surely lads can accept that whatever happended happened, shake hands and get on with their lives?

I would be genuinely interested to know what people feel about this? Do you think this guy was petty to behave in such a way after the game?

honestly don't know WHAT reaction you are looking for but I will give you my opinion for all its worth, he should of shook hands with you, his hand and your face. Nothing but the lowest form of life would spit in some-ones face and then brag about it.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I wonder is there anywhere i could report this guy for his unsporting behaviour? To refuse to shake hands after a game is despicable in my opinion
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Never mind him WB, sometimes in life you meet these types of people but you just have to be the bigger man and rise above it.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Yes there is a voluntary group called Friends in Sporting Handshakes (FISH). They look into allegations where GAA players refuse to shake the hand of an opponent and recommend relevant sanctions where appropriate to the CCCC. Thye recently handed down a sentence of 100 hours community service to a player who refused to shake the hand of an opponent who broke his jaw, knocked out all his teeth, dislocated his shoulder and broke both his legs. The Mayo branch are based in McHale Park but are now closed until 2011.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:12 pm

The lad you spat at wouldn't be Rudi Voller would it?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:17 pm

while i do doubt the authenticity of this story i will give me opinion anyway

the only thing that should have been left on the field was you WB on the flat of you back with a handful of teeth - you wouldnt have had the opportunity to spit the second time if it had been me you spat at, i'd have knocked 7 colours of sh!te out of you after the first incident!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:31 pm

bocerty wrote:while i do doubt the authenticity of this story i will give me opinion anyway

the only thing that should have been left on the field was you WB on the flat of you back with a handful of teeth - you wouldnt have had the opportunity to spit the second time if it had been me you spat at, i'd have knocked 7 colours of sh!te out of you after the first incident!!!!

There is no place for violence in the GAA
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Shocking stuff WB. That guy should be ashamed of hiimself. At least you kept your dignity throughout.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 pm

If I read this correctly, you say you spat on your opponent twice.

That's disgusting behaviour, especially upon a sports field and. Fair enough he was giving you grief but any self-respecting sports player would get their own back in a tough challenge or something similar. Spitting at an opponent is disgraceful.

In my opinion, you should be questioning your own actions as a sportsman rather than his.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:46 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:In my opinion, you should be questioning your own actions as a sportsman rather than his.

Should these things be left on the field Icon_rolleyes A fine day for fishing and a rather large bite ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Why are people giving out to WB? Did you not read his post FFS! Your man didn't shake his hand!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:If I read this correctly, you say you spat on your opponent twice.

That's disgusting behaviour, especially upon a sports field and. Fair enough he was giving you grief but any self-respecting sports player would get their own back in a tough challenge or something similar. Spitting at an opponent is disgraceful.

In my opinion, you should be questioning your own actions as a sportsman rather than his.

Ah he wasnt really giving me grief Sami to be fair to the lad. We were havin a good honest battle. I spat at him more out of frustration as he had beaten me to possession and outmuscled me in the process. Ok, i got him sent off and im not exactly proud of my actions but you are missing the point completely. My point was that surely i was just doing whatever was necessary to try and get the better of my opponent. At the end of the game, anything that went on should be forgotten. After me goin to the bother of walkin over to shake this fella's hand and maybe have the craic with him he wasnt havin any of it. His manager actually had to hold him back, and i had to make a quick exit out of fear for my own safety. Surely this is not on?
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Some man for one man! Fair play you did what was needed im sure every team mate was proud of you... As for the cheek of the man who wouldnt shake your hand he should be shot!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 pm

You should have snuck into the jacks and pee'd all over the back of him as well.

That was one of my tricks.

No time for bad sportsmanship myself.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 pm

You were expecting a hand shake after spitting at him?

If that was me you would have ended up in a hospital for the next six months. He done the sporting thing by helping you up and you get him sent off and then spit in his ear.

Your lucky your alive.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

whiterbananas wrote:I posted this on another website just to gauge some opinion but unfortunately it disappeared after about 5 replies. So ill give it a go here......

Whiter im with bocerty on this one Should these things be left on the field Icon_razz
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 am

whiterbananas wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:If I read this correctly, you say you spat on your opponent twice.

Ah he wasnt really giving me grief Sami to be fair to the lad. We were havin a good honest battle. I spat at him more out of frustration as he had beaten me to possession and outmuscled me in the process. Ok, i got him sent off and im not exactly proud of my actions but you are missing the point completely. My point was that surely i was just doing whatever was necessary to try and get the better of my opponent. At the end of the game, anything that went on should be forgotten. After me goin to the bother of walkin over to shake this fella's hand and maybe have the craic with him he wasnt havin any of it. His manager actually had to hold him back, and i had to make a quick exit out of fear for my own safety. Surely this is not on?

Whiter you have convinced me.

A transfer to Tyrone certainly on the cards.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 am

hurlingguru wrote: He done the sporting thing by helping you up and you get him sent off and then spit in his ear.

You make it sound worse than it was
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 am

Mayo for ya, if they're not losing to Longford or an All Ireland Final they are spitting in someone's ear.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:49 am

Did you feel he hadnt cleaned behind his ear properly so you were doing him a favour?

Last edited by GAA-Fan on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:39 am

Should these things be left on the field Cup%20drop

A greater 'faux pas' than this?

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:12 am

I'm surprised no one has complimented WB on the acuracy of his spitting. To get it in his ear was no easy task. Well done.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next