GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster SF Championship Final 2010

+10
Jayo Cluxton
Thomas Clarke
mugsys_barber
bocerty
Dellboypolecat
patrique
mid-mon man
GAA-Fan
redhandman
bald eagle
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ulster SF Championship Final 2010 Empty Ulster SF Championship Final 2010

Post  bald eagle Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:49 am

Well we now know the line up for the Ulster Championship, and to be honest it was a pretty predictable one! So will Tyrone reclaim their crown or will Monaghan finally give Banty to be happy about and bring back a title to the wonderful people of Monaghan? What sort of game will it be?

The worrying thing for me is that Tyrone have won all their games pulling up, they haven't even had to get out of second gear in order to win. I feel that will work against them as Monaghan will give them a torrid 70 minutes in seach of the title!

I've openly tipped and said that Tyrone are the best side in Ulster, but the romantic in me wants to see a new name on the Anglo Celt for the 1st time in what seems like 87 years! It would be a boost for Monaghan, and indeed Ulster football should they win. It would be a great advert for players unity for the right man for the job (are you watching in Derry, Donegal, Armagh and England to name but 4).

Tyrone will not be easily beaten, they never are! The longer they go in the Championship the tougher they are to beat but i feel that this is the best 2 teams in Ulster and if anyone will stand in the way of them winning, no one has a better chance than Monaghan!

Monaghan by 3!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Ulster SF Championship Final 2010 Empty Re: Ulster SF Championship Final 2010

Post  redhandman Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

bald eagle wrote:Well we now know the line up for the Ulster Championship, and to be honest it was a pretty predictable one! So will Tyrone reclaim their crown or will Monaghan finally give Banty to be happy about and bring back a title to the wonderful people of Monaghan? What sort of game will it be?

The worrying thing for me is that Tyrone have won all their games pulling up, they haven't even had to get out of second gear in order to win. I feel that will work against them as Monaghan will give them a torrid 70 minutes in seach of the title!

I've openly tipped and said that Tyrone are the best side in Ulster, but the romantic in me wants to see a new name on the Anglo Celt for the 1st time in what seems like 87 years! It would be a boost for Monaghan, and indeed Ulster football should they win. It would be a great advert for players unity for the right man for the job (are you watching in Derry, Donegal, Armagh and England to name but 4).

Tyrone will not be easily beaten, they never are! The longer they go in the Championship the tougher they are to beat but i feel that this is the best 2 teams in Ulster and if anyone will stand in the way of them winning, no one has a better chance than Monaghan!

Monaghan by 3!!!

would sean gorman agree? or most of blaney for that matter?

i feel that this could go along the lines of 2007 and 2009 where tyrone could win pulling up. monaghan would worry me but as a fellow tyrone fan said to me look at the bench if things get tricky all mickey has to do is turn round and pick 3-4 out and they can go on and change a game. how many other counties would start colm mccullagh i think his last piece of championship action was an all ireland final!

and if all else fails move joe mac onto the danger man.

tyrone by 2-3
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:50 pm

redhandman wrote: It would be a great advert for players unity for the right man for the job

would sean gorman agree?

Sometimes decisions have to be made and that one he made was proved to be right on the day. Similar things have happened to me and at the time i was furious but the manager made them to win the Championship. I didn't agree with him at times and refused to accept a Championship medal on the back of it but i would never argue that he was not the right man for the job or that he didn't make the decision if he didn't think he would win THE CLUB a Championship. I was not bigger than the club and Gorman is not bigger than Monaghan.

I don't agree with what Banty done, like you, as it reminded me massively as to what happened to me, only difference was i got nailed for the Championship Final after top scoring in the Semi-final, there was massive arguements before the match and one senior player walked out in protest, i talked him back though. If Monaghan win the Ulster Championship who will really care as he will have been proved correct!

Sometimes you have to suck it up and get on with it. I don't think Gorman will for a long time, and it's been nearly 20 years since my episode and everytime i go home to the club i still refuse the medal even though they keep telling me i got them there! I might take it some day, you can never say never. I did realise that it wasn't personal but i don't feel i deserved a medal as i didn't get on in the final at all but i never quit the panel because of it, i was bigger than that!

Management is full of tough decisions and some times people get hurt along the way, personally i'll do whatever it takes to make sure my team win (i had a great teacher) but it's nothing personal! Gorman was a casulty, so was i, so what?

Would Sean Gorman agree? I wouldn't expect him to but sometimes no matter how good you are you aren't good enough for a particular game!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Indeed Tyrone will come back at Monaghan but Monaghan will pull away as soon as possible and it depends on how many scores they convert. Monaghan are a much better team that Down so I think Tyrone will have to go all out from the off in my opinion.

Antrim were unlucky against Tyrone, if they played that well in the first half it would have been a lot tighter. Down are too reliant on certain players. Monaghan are working as a team and are racking up big scores, however they have played against a poor Armagh and a woeful Fermanagh. However they can only beat what is put in front of them. It's hard to pick out which team is better.

Monaghan to win by 4.

Last edited by GAA-Fan on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:43 pm

redhandman wrote:
bald eagle wrote:Well we now know the line up for the Ulster Championship, and to be honest it was a pretty predictable one! So will Tyrone reclaim their crown or will Monaghan finally give Banty to be happy about and bring back a title to the wonderful people of Monaghan? What sort of game will it be?

Monaghan by 3!!!

would sean gorman agree? or most of blaney for that matter?

It's Ballybay for a start, not Blayney. As as for whether most of Ballybay would agree, Paul Finlay is Gorman's clubmate and he turned in a MOTM performance that day, he talked afterwards about it and he said he felt terrible about the situation but ultimately it was a decision that had to be made.

People need to understand the whole situation here, as I feel some aren't looking at the whole picture. While most agree that the thing was handled badly overall by Banty, it was definately the right decision on the weekend of the game. What Banty should have done was take in a third keeper back at the start of the league and let Gorman down gently that way, but seeing as he didn't he wasn't going to play someone in a big championship game that's not fit for it. Gorman played in the first league game against Cork, and while we were only beaten by a point, 3 very dodgy goals were conceded, 2 of which came from high centres badly dealt with by Gorman, and he let another couple bounce in the square. Banty should have got in a top keeper then, basically the best keepers in the county are from the top 4 clubs, but Banty has more or less burnt his bridges with all but Shane Duffy. Hughes is as good an option as anyone else but the problem here is we are missing him out the field, we will need him there against Tyrone. I have to agree with BE on this point, Banty isn't there to makes friends(and you can bet he's lost a good few), he's there to achieve success and ruthless management is required for this, he made a hard decision regarding the goalkeeper situation and it paid off. It may yet come back to haunt him but he's proven right so far.

As far as the final goes, it's going to be very tough for us. Tyrone have been there and done that many times while we would be ecstatic with an Ulster title. That is the sole focus of these boys lives for the next three weeks and they will be unbelieveably driven and focused on winning it. Tyrone have the players and the experience and know how to win any type of game, they'll be strong favourites. We'll need everyone of our players to be on top of their game and keep up their performance from the last two games, but against a much better team. We'll need our backs to be watertight, Dick and Lennon to work tirelessly in midfield and up front McManus, Tommy and Finlay to be in flying form. If them three are in form we've a great chance. For a change now we have a few strong options to come off the bench, and that will be vital in a game like this and they will be needed.

I'll say more closer to the time, a while to go yet, but I'm really looking forward to it needless to say.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 pm

After the Antrim V Tyrone game I said in the heat of the moment that Monaghan would beat Tyrone by about 20 points.

I now retract that. Tyrone do not seem to have the legs for 70 minutes, but are still very "Cute".

However Monaghan are big, fit and hitters and I expect them to win.

By about 5 points.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Dellboypolecat Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Tyrone will win easy. diffrent class to Monaghan

Dellboypolecat
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Tyrone
Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Dellboypolecat wrote:Tyrone will win easy. diffrent class to Monaghan

And yet on HS, "you" say we are capable of winning. Hmm... Rolling Eyes
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 pm

patrique wrote:After the Antrim V Tyrone game I said in the heat of the moment that Monaghan would beat Tyrone by about 20 points.

I now retract that. Tyrone do not seem to have the legs for 70 minutes, but are still very "Cute".

However Monaghan are big, fit and hitters and I expect them to win.

By about 5 points.

after Sundays game its obvious Monaghan are just as cute Patrique - an lot of tactical fouling going from Monaghan players
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 pm

A lot more than "tactical" fouling, they hit you hard,usually illegally, and keep at oit for 70 minutes.

Last year I said Kildare would give Tyrone trouble because of their ability to keep going, but didn't have the players.

Monaghan,if they avoid the line, have the players as well.

Tyrone could surprise me, but I honestly don't think they have the legs anymore.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Its probably safe to say that all the neutral support will be yearning for a Monaghan victory and I'm hoping that a repeat result of 1988 is not on the cards when Eugene "Nudie" Hughes tormented Ciaran McGarvey and co in Clones.

You have to admire Monaghan's unity of purpose, the ambition and spirit that Banty's team possess. Monaghan bring a warlike intensity to the game which they will be able to sustain for the 70 minutes. Unfortunately for Monaghan they are meeting a team with similar qualities and a proven track record of success.

Monaghan also have a backbone of about a dozen seasoned campaigners including a decent sprinkling of quality footballers like Tommy Freeman, Finlay, Woods and the emergence of Conor McManus as a target in the full forward line freeing up Corey for defensive duties. It also means that they are no longer soley reliant on Freeman for the scores. I expect the game to be very tight and if Tyrone give away as many scoreable frees as in the Down game then Monaghan have a surplus supply of quality free takers which could prove to be our downfall.

The main weakness I would see in our opposition would be in their defence. While many of their defenders are good all round footballers they aren't necessarily the best man markers and it is probably imperative that Banty moves Hughes back to the No 3 position, but in saying that alot more will be required of Mugsy who was pretty poor the last day for us and there are doubts over the injury prone Stevy O'Neill who only played 10 minutes in a club championship game at the weekend and was pretty anonymous at that. i'll make a score prediction closer to the time but would still fancy Tyrone to retain the title and burst the Farney bubble.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 pm

patrique wrote:A lot more than "tactical" fouling, they hit you hard,usually illegally, and keep at oit for 70 minutes.

Last year I said Kildare would give Tyrone trouble because of their ability to keep going, but didn't have the players.

Monaghan,if they avoid the line, have the players as well.

Tyrone could surprise me, but I honestly don't think they have the legs anymore.

I think this is going to be a big test for Tyrone and certainly not the formality that many are predicting. Were it still Banty and McElkennon on the line i would be more confident but Grimleys presence brings an added dimension to the game - no doubt he will have to be on his toes to outwit Mickey and the boys but in terms of the mental attitude i think Grimley will have them Monaghan men in the right frame of mind and fully confident that they can win.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:35 pm

Mugsy in fairness to O'Neill he wasnt fit to walk all last week - so the fact he togged out at all is a bonus to Tyrone.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 pm

bocerty wrote:Mugsy in fairness to O'Neill he wasnt fit to walk all last week - so the fact he togged out at all is a bonus to Tyrone.

Fair enough Bocerty, maybe I was being a wee bit sore on him but the initial reports were that he was grand after the Down match. What is required for Tyrone to progress against Monaghan is a fully fit Stevy O'Neill and I for one certainly hope that that is the case.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

Just read that Enda McGinley is back in full training with the Tyrone panel, his injury concerns having cleared up.

This is a massive boost for Tyrone. McGinley should have won Footballer of the Year in 2008, and while his form was poor last year, if he can get anyway close to his 2008 level he will make a huge difference.

Even if he can't reach those heights again, we will have a strong and experienced option for the last 20 minutes of games, when Hughes & Colm Cavanagh begin to tire. Aidan Cassidy's injury left us without any midfield cover in the squad, so McGinley's return is great news.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:54 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:
bocerty wrote:Mugsy in fairness to O'Neill he wasnt fit to walk all last week - so the fact he togged out at all is a bonus to Tyrone.

Fair enough Bocerty, maybe I was being a wee bit sore on him but the initial reports were that he was grand after the Down match. What is required for Tyrone to progress against Monaghan is a fully fit Stevy O'Neill and I for one certainly hope that that is the case.

Mugsy, no worries - i had heard a similar story to that from a source close to the panel more or less making out that there was injury at all and that something else was going on. However i was speaking to a few people on Tuesday who said he wasn't fit to walk last week at all due to a stud coming up through the sole of his boot
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:20 pm

bocerty wrote: However i was speaking to a few people on Tuesday who said he wasn't fit to walk last week at all due to a stud coming up through the sole of his boot

Look boc,don't start any rumours now, i wasn't anywhere near Stephen O'Neills boots!!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm

MMM do you think Banty will stay on if Monaghan win Ulster and go far in Ulster? I know he has said this is his last year but will a successful season change his mind?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:32 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:MMM do you think Banty will stay on if Monaghan win Ulster and go far in Ulster? I know he has said this is his last year but will a successful season change his mind?

I think if that happened then he'd be happy to leave on a high. He came back to give it one last lash and if he won Ulster then it would be mission achieved. He's been in the job 6 years now and it's a huge commitment, it took a good while for him to commit again the last 2 years in fact.

Then again, you never know with Banty.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm

bald eagle wrote:
bocerty wrote: However i was speaking to a few people on Tuesday who said he wasn't fit to walk last week at all due to a stud coming up through the sole of his boot

Look boc,don't start any rumours now, i wasn't anywhere near Stephen O'Neills boots!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:57 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:MMM do you think Banty will stay on if Monaghan win Ulster and go far in Ulster? I know he has said this is his last year but will a successful season change his mind?

i doubt it - win lose or draw Banty will be gone - he more or less signed his own P45 by bringing Grimley on board. No point having 3 men doing a job that one seems more than capable of doing on his own.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:13 pm

i would say tyrone by 4or5 but the ulster title will mean more to monaghan than tyrone and we all know tyrone only has eyes for sam

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:52 pm

This weekend now, what's the word from both camps?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Almost impossible to call this one. Hoping for a good game - hopefully high scoring. Am leaning towards Tyrone but Monaghan are more than capable and really want an Ulster badly - more so than Tyrone.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 pm

bald eagle wrote:This weekend now, what's the word from both camps?

BE i cant remember an Ulster final involving Tyrone were the build up has been so quiet. Considering we are in the minor final too it is very quiet about my neck of the woods anyway. Not sure if it is supporter apathy thinking we will win easy or if its a case of less supporters actually attending the match due to costs etc but its hardly being talked about.

Interest in tickets appear to be poor - was speaking to someone close to the county board tonight and demand is very poor.

I fancy Monaghan myself - they have been racking up some pretty impressive scores and while i dont expect them to rattle up a big score i cant see where our scores are going to come from especially if O'Neill is not playing and at this stage it looks highly likely he wont be
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next