GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Qualifiers Round 1

+10
Shinners
mossbags
RMDrive
patrique
OMAR
Dougal
JimWexford
Thomas Clarke
GAA-Fan
mid-mon man
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Football Qualifiers Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Football Qualifiers Round 1

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:
1. Hearty - 4 Club All Ireland medals. 6 Ulster Medals. 2 NFL. 1 u21.
2. Mallon - 1 Ulster U21, All Ireland U21, 4 USFC, 2NFL.
3. Donaghy - 1 USFC and U21, NFL 1
5. Duffy - Ulster SFC 05, 06,08, Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ire U21 FC 2004 NFL 2
6. McKeever - Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ire U21 FC 2004, USFC 04,05,06,08, NFL 2
7. Kernan - Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ireland U21FC 04, USFC 04, 05, 06, 08
NFL 2 and Club championships.

8. Toner - Ulster U21 FC 2007, Ulster MFC 2005, Ulster SFC 2008, NFL 1
9. Lavery - USFC 08 / Ulster U21 FC 07 / UMFC 2005
10. Dyas -
11. Ronan Clarke - All-Ireland SFC 2002, USFC 2002,04,05,06, 08, NFL 2005, 2010
12. Veron - Ulster SFC 2006, 08, Ulster U21FC 2007, Ulster MFC 2005 NFL 1
13. Jamie Clarke -
14. McDonnell - Everything.
15. Forker - USFC 08 / UMFC 2005 / Ulster U21FC 2007/ NFL 2010

Wanting a good run in the qualifiers is a high expectation?

Wanting your manager sacked for not winning an Ulster title is too high.

Couple of things, firstly, what you just named is not the Armagh team. Again, how many of them would have made the 2005 side?

Secondly, I could start listing Laois lads with plenty of underage medals, but it doesn't mean that they are good seniors.

Armagh are average, Hearty is not a good goalkeeper, never was. Andy Mallon has been roasted in both games this year. Donaghy is quite good, as are Moriarty and Duffy. Good young lads, but not likely to be on all-ireland winning teams. Certainaly not 3 together. Ciaran McKeever is a good defender, but can't kick a ball. Playing him as a sweeper is ridiculous.

Lavery/Toner? - Hardly Paul McGrane.

Vernon, Swift, Mackin, Mallon - all good workers and hard runners, but none of them as gifted as McKeever, McEntee & Oisin McConville. Mackin and Swift, in fact, would make few Ulster sides. Aaron Kernan is a good wing back, but brings nothing to the side as a forward.

Stevie McDonnell is still a very good footballer, but Jamie Clarke has done nothing yet. Henderson and Forker even less.

What you just listed is an average side. You can't blame O'Rourke & Peter McDonnell for everything.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:
1. Hearty - 4 Club All Ireland medals. 6 Ulster Medals. 2 NFL. 1 u21.
2. Mallon - 1 Ulster U21, All Ireland U21, 4 USFC, 2NFL.
3. Donaghy - 1 USFC and U21, NFL 1
5. Duffy - Ulster SFC 05, 06,08, Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ire U21 FC 2004 NFL 2
6. McKeever - Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ire U21 FC 2004, USFC 04,05,06,08, NFL 2
7. Kernan - Ulster U21 FC 2004, All-Ireland U21FC 04, USFC 04, 05, 06, 08
NFL 2 and Club championships.

8. Toner - Ulster U21 FC 2007, Ulster MFC 2005, Ulster SFC 2008, NFL 1
9. Lavery - USFC 08 / Ulster U21 FC 07 / UMFC 2005
10. Dyas -
11. Ronan Clarke - All-Ireland SFC 2002, USFC 2002,04,05,06, 08, NFL 2005, 2010
13. Jamie Clarke -
14. McDonnell - Everything.
15. Forker - USFC 08 / UMFC 2005 / Ulster U21FC 2007/ NFL 2010

Wanting a good run in the qualifiers is a high expectation?

Wanting your manager sacked for not winning an Ulster title is too high.

Couple of things, firstly, what you just named is not the Armagh team. Again, how many of them would have made the 2005 side?

Secondly, I could start listing Laois lads with plenty of underage medals, but it doesn't mean that they are good seniors.

Armagh are average, Hearty is not a good goalkeeper, never was. Andy Mallon has been roasted in both games this year. Donaghy is quite good, as are Moriarty and Duffy. Good young lads, but not likely to be on all-ireland winning teams. Certainaly not 3 together. Ciaran McKeever is a good defender, but can't kick a ball. Playing him as a sweeper is ridiculous.

Lavery/Toner? - Hardly Paul McGrane.

Vernon, Swift, Mackin, Mallon - all good workers and hard runners, but none of them as gifted as McKeever, McEntee & Oisin McConville. Mackin and Swift, in fact, would make few Ulster sides. Aaron Kernan is a good wing back, but brings nothing to the side as a forward.

Stevie McDonnell is still a very good footballer, but Jamie Clarke has done nothing yet. Henderson and Forker even less.

What you just listed is an average side. You can't blame O'Rourke & Peter McDonnell for everything.
I never mentioned the whole team, just took what was off the Armagh website.

First of all I have previously said that as an Armagh fan I wouldn't be too concerned about Armagh not winning another Ulster. I even said at the end of my previous post that "Wanting a good run in the qualifiers is a high expectation?" Also, as I have once again previously said, it wasn't the defeat that bothered me, it was the way in which the players just accepted that they were going to get beaten and did nothing, as did the management both are to blame. But would put more of the blame on the management.

Another thing, how did we go from having a decent run in the qualifiers to being All Ireland contenders? Not once this year have I said Armagh are All Ireland contenders. Neither did I mention how many of them would get in the 2005 team.

Hearty is a poor enough goalkeeper, agree with you there. I would love to see McKinney in goals for Armagh again.

Our defence is ok, Mallon has been poor enough this season so far.

Its going to be a good while before we start finding someone of the same calibre of McGrane, Armagh skipped a generation in midfield because of John Toal no longer playing and Phillip Lougran not playing.

Mackin is shyte, never like seeing him play. He looked better than he was in the NFL final because he cam on against a tired Down team. Vernon is going to be another McGeeney in a few years, he is a very good player but with that he can also be inconsistent.

Jamie Clarke is young, and have said previously he shouldnt even be considered for a starting place. Henderson dosen't score many but he does do a lot of work. Not seen much of Forker.

As for the management, they are not entirely to blame, but they are far from blameless. Down vs Armagh first game, clueless. Armagh vs Monaghan, clueless yet again, even with tactics. Made substitiutions too late. When Lavery was brought on he started winning some ball but the game was finished when he made the decisions.

This is why Grimley is needed for Armagh to do anything. He knows Armagh football better than anyone. He knows the strengths and weaknesses - as he well exploited a few weeks ago.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 pm

GF, you've lost me. If you accept that you can't win the All-Ireland, why would you rather a run in the qualifiers than winning a provincial title?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:GF, you've lost me. If you accept that you can't win the All-Ireland, why would you rather a run in the qualifiers than winning a provincial title?

Monaghan were deserved winners. Yes it would have been nice to get another Ulster title but no point crying over spilt milk. On top of that an Ulster title means nothing to Armagh fans anymore. We are nowhere near All Ireland contenders but having a long summer playing games is vital to such a young team to aid development.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:34 am

Some man, also won 5 or 6 league and 2 continental medals playing soccerball! Razz

Back to top Go down

Football Qualifiers Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Qualifiers Round 1

Post  Shinners Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:08 pm

So next weekend sees 6 of the 8 Round 1 Qualifier matches - a few teams hoping to get their All Ireland ambitions back on track, a few just making up the numbers.

Offaly v Clare
Armagh v Donegal
Carlow v Derry
Longford v Mayo
Cavan v Wicklow
Kildare v Antrim

Anyone reckon we could have another shock or two? Or will there be a few moral victories but the usual suspects scraping through?
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Shinners wrote:So next weekend sees 6 of the 8 Round 1 Qualifier matches - a few teams hoping to get their All Ireland ambitions back on track, a few just making up the numbers.

Offaly v Clare
Armagh v Donegal
Carlow v Derry
Longford v Mayo
Cavan v Wicklow
Kildare v Antrim

Anyone reckon we could have another shock or two? Or will there be a few moral victories but the usual suspects scraping through?

could be a shock or two in the Antrim-Kildare and Offaly-Clare games. dont expect one in the Longford-Mayo game thankfully. have been talking to a few lads that i know on the Longford squad and they have been telling me that they dont expect much. want to keep the score respectable and at least give Mayo a bit of a fright (which they could well do based on our performance against SLigo.) Masterson is a big loss for Longford and that will help whoever plays FF for mayo
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Best of luck against Longford on Saturday Swinny Football Qualifiers Round 1 - Page 2 Icon_wink
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Carlow are going to be the shock team of the qualifiers.

I heard Longford beat Derry by 11 points in a challenge match. Is it true????

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:09 pm

hurlingguru wrote:Carlow are going to be the shock team of the qualifiers.
Can't see it HG - but at 9/1 it'd be a nice touch.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Jaysus Mayo are dirt!

Well done to Longford though, massive win.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Swinford2009 wrote: could be a shock or two in the Antrim-Kildare and Offaly-Clare games. dont expect one in the Longford-Mayo game thankfully. have been talking to a few lads that i know on the Longford squad and they have been telling me that they dont expect much. want to keep the score respectable and at least give Mayo a bit of a fright (which they could well do based on our performance against SLigo.) Masterson is a big loss for Longford and that will help whoever plays FF for mayo

Oh dear! I love posts like these and the funny thing is that you Mayo lads/lassies never learn. Swinny, you made more or less the same arrogant prediction before the Meath game last year and look what good it did you.

You and your team are absolutely terrible! Maybe you and the rest of your fellow county men and women will finally realise that Mayo are going nowhere with the current team/management.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Swinford2009 wrote: could be a shock or two in the Antrim-Kildare and Offaly-Clare games. dont expect one in the Longford-Mayo game thankfully. have been talking to a few lads that i know on the Longford squad and they have been telling me that they dont expect much. want to keep the score respectable and at least give Mayo a bit of a fright (which they could well do based on our performance against SLigo.) Masterson is a big loss for Longford and that will help whoever plays FF for mayo

Never listen to what a county player says before a championship game, can't believe a word they say!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Carlow showed some pride and passion today, thats all we asked for.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2