GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round 4 Football Qualifiers

+2
Thomas Clarke
bald eagle
6 posters

Go down

Round 4 Football Qualifiers Empty Round 4 Football Qualifiers

Post  bald eagle Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am

Round 4 Football Qualifiers

Galway v Cork,
Laois v Donegal,
Tyrone v Meath,
Cavan v London

Some names in there we didn't expect!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Round 4 Football Qualifiers Empty Re: Round 4 Football Qualifiers

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Mark McHugh ruled out for the champs!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:03 pm

bald eagle wrote:Mark McHugh ruled out for the champs!

Massive blow.  Along with Lacey, he is Donegal's creative force, and Lacey too is not fit at present.  We saw what Donegal were like without them both in the league.

He's only 19 years old and 10 stone soaking wet, but I think Jimmy has to start Ryan McHugh in his place.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bald eagle wrote:Mark McHugh ruled out for the champs!

Massive blow.  Along with Lacey, he is Donegal's creative force, and Lacey too is not fit at present.  We saw what Donegal were like without them both in the league.

He's only 19 years old and 10 stone soaking wet, but I think Jimmy has to start Ryan McHugh in his place.

Young Ryan acquitted himself well when he came on the last day. Scored a fine point, had a vital (well not really) goal line clearance, got away with throwing the ball in the aforementioned goal line clearance and generally looked like he was one of the few not affected by the malaise that affected his team mates. when I saw him come on I worried about his ability to physically cope with the big hits of the day, but the lad is well able to look after himself.

Best wishes to young Mark.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:04 pm

RMDrive wrote: Young Ryan acquitted himself well when he came on the last day....and generally looked like he was one of the few not affected by the malaise that affected his team mates.

I thought so too. Classy, natural footballer. Should be a fine player for Donegal for many years to come.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Good start for Galway against the breeze, and they lead 8-7 at HT. They've dealt easily with what little Cork have lobbed at them, and look the more creative side. Paul Conroy playing well in midfield, and their backs are well on top of the Cork forwards. Michael Meehan still a handful if given space.

Cork have just gone 25 minutes without scoring from play. Their tactics remain the same as ever - half backs trying to batter their way through, and forwards who don't seem to be part of any attacking plan. Their strength in depth could yet see them through here, but they haven't improved any since the Munster final.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Galway lead 13-10 after 48 minutes. Cork no scores from play since 11th minute.

Galway are the better side, but Cork starting to bring on the cavalry, starting with Kissane.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:09 pm

Donegal leading Laois 0-5 to 0-1 at HT. Haven't seen any of it, but that sounds very much like a strategy of back to basics.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm

15 minutes to go, and Galway lead 0-14 to 0-11. Cork finally got a score from play - a fisted point.

Cork trying hard, but so limited. Galway getting the odd score just when they feel pressure.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:20 pm

15-13 to Galway.  Ciaran Sheehan made and scored one, but Armstrong hits back for Galway. Just like I was saying, when Cork get close, Galway go up and kick an easy score.

As I type, Meehan has added another.  0-16 to 0-13 for Galway, with 61 minutes gone.

Kerrigan, Donnacha O'Connor, Paddy Kelly, Kissane all on for Cork now.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Goal for Cork! They've been close a few times, but Aidan Walsh palms to the net, moments after Pierce O'Neill had hit the post. All square with 4 minutes left.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Cork have scored 1-2 in 3 minutes, and now lead 1-15 to 0-16.  Galway look gone, although Finian Hanley has killed the Cork momentum with a tactical injury.  When he tactically recovers, they'll have a few minutes left to pull this one out of the fire.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 pm

A win for Cork, 1-17 to 1-16.  

Michael Meehan fired impossibly to the net with the last kick of the game - a 14m free when Cork had 10 men on the line.  Unfortunately, there was no time for a last hurrah as the whistle blew on kick out.

Cork's strength in depth was decisive, bringing in AI winners as opposed to Galways young lads.  Pierce O'Neill and especially Ciaran Sheehan also stepped up when needed.

Cork were very poor and don't look like AI winners to me.  

Galway have the basis of a decent side if they have the right man at the helm.  Mayo's dominance of Connaught may not be as eternal as some would believe, so long as Mulholland has what it takes.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Cavan, Donegal and Cork safely through to the quarters & Tyrone Meath sounds like a game where you'd be glad to be a neutral!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:38 pm

We were awful today, tired and lethargic, basic errors throughout. Pulled away in the final few minutes but 9 points flattered us. Dara McVeety was excellent when he came on, Killian Clarke saved our skins time and again in defence today. Virtually no other players played well.

Wait til you see Keatings miss though lads. My good God. He was standing at the post, about a yard out and hit the post. I have never ever seen anything as bad as that and considering I attend a lot of Junior Football games in Cavan that's saying something. He almost had the look of a lad who began whirling away to celebrate before actually putting the ball in the net.....

Well there'll certainly be no expectation of an upset against whoever we draw next week. Let's see what the draw throws up. Monaghan or Kerry please.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Stop beating yourself with a stick JS. Cavan were out 7 days after an extra time outing to Derry, no walk in the park merchants. London are rugged and dour and unsparing in the physical stakes.
Cavan were in a no-win situation. You now have another week to re-energise, Kerry will be stale after the lengthy lay-off, beering after beating Cork and chasing American skirt around Ballybunion.

BTW, I've pencilled you in for the match preview of this quarter final. Had I told you that in February you would have said we were both mad.

You can start off with the closing words of the late Michéal O'Hehir from the Polo Grounds.Wink 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Stop beating yourself with a stick JS. Cavan were out 7 days after an extra time outing to Derry, no walk in the park merchants. London are rugged and dour and unsparing in the physical stakes.
Cavan were in a no-win situation. You now have another week to re-energise, Kerry will be stale after the lengthy lay-off, beering after beating Cork and chasing American skirt around Ballybunion.

BTW, I've pencilled you in for the match preview of this quarter final. Had I told you that in February you would have said we were both mad.

You can start off with the closing words of the late Michéal O'Hehir from the Polo Grounds.Wink 

Ah you're right, I just wasn't expecting it to be that uncomfortable.

For the week that's in it, I'll cobble something together.. cheers 

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Excellent stuff JS. Looking forward to it. Great year for Cavan in all fairness. Bonus territory now.
"Nothing to fear but fear itself" as they said....Kerry backs there for the taking and all that...

You are allowed to fire in the odd "Yerra!" but please be advised: there's no pay for this venture...Wink 

Pencil in Wednesday for your 1st. opinions on the contest to enable discussion.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:06 am

The four expected winners from round 4 all won.

Cork stuggled past Galway but least the tribesmen are much improved from the side Mayo hammered saying that if Cork had taken their goals chances they would have won more comfortably.

Cavan -poor 1st half but powered home in the end. I think they held London to two scores in the 2nd half and like Cork missed a number of goal chances.

Tyrone - three tough games in a row will have learnt plenty about themselves still a big performance in this side and it may come in the next game.

Donegal - back playing the 2011 football it seems good enough to beat Laois but won't be good enough to retain their All Ireland.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down