GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sligo V Mayo

+9
RMDrive
GAAGenious
mullins
Jayo Cluxton
mossbags
black&white
Boxtyeater
mid-mon man
rich dublin
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sligo V Mayo Empty Sligo V Mayo

Post  rich dublin Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:28 pm

hey everybody long time no chat how are ye all? how come nobody is talking about the big game this weekend???? mayo brought tumbling down to earth after the all-blacks cruise to victory playing with a speed that the Poor mayoians just couldnt handle???? what ye all think
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Sligo V Mayo Empty Re: Sligo V Mayo

Post  mid-mon man Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Well rich, welcome back!

I would love your prediction to come true but I think Mayo will edge it. Sure they have to have something this time of year to get their hopes up before they come crashing down in a couple of months! Wink

In fairness though they've been in good form this year so far so I think they'll win this.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 pm

mid-mon man wrote: Sure they have to have something this time of year to get their hopes up before they come crashing down in a couple of months! Wink

Haven't they the races in Ballinrobe and the pilgrimage season at Knock for starters....Sligo in a canter here...
Mayo could trouble a few in the qualifiers though..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  rich dublin Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm

i think it all comes down to belief and here is where sligo have a serious improvement in the last year as well as one or two players that ye all will not know that much about but ye will be sat evening, three players to watch out for cawley at wing back, gilmarting in mid-field and mcgee in corner forward if they perform as they have been doing in the league and in challenge games ye will all be talking about them.
rich dublin
rich dublin
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

sligo
Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Sligo's hopes come down to two things; midfield and consistency.

The midfield is unproven at Championship level. Gilmartin has great talent, but McGarrity is probably a bigger challenge than anything he has come up against to date. How well he performs will play a large role in how Sligo fare on Saturday.

The other issue is consistency. Too often Sligo have played games against Mayo and Galway in fits and bursts; playing great stuff for two 10-15 minute spells, but losing the game in the intervening period. Every game will have period when one team is on top, but with Sligo the other team always seems to get a good 30 min on top, which against stronger teams can prove fatal.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:36 am

Rich Dub back on the scene = handy victory for Sligeach Sligo V Mayo 417703
I hear L Cohen is the Yeat'sboys secret weapon this year......
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Mayo CSFC v Sligo: David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar Mitchels), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore); Tom Parsons (Charlestown), Ronan McGarrity (Ballina Stephenites); Andy Moran (Ballghaderreen), Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy), Trevor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib); Conor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Enda Varley (Garrymore).

This is the Mayo line-up-freshly announced! Dillon, Howley, Kilcoyne are injured. Noticeably, Aidan O'Shea is omitted. In all honesty, he hasn't been playing his best and O'Mahony has tried this tactic with Mortimer before when he wasn't playing well. It improves their motivation and I agree with O' Mahony on this one. Barry Moran also not included, probably injured again. He was really promising in 2007, but he got injured that year and has been dogged with injuries ever since. Should be a good match! I have a cousin on the Sligo team so it should be quite interesting indeed!

Best of luck to both teams, and Swinny do you know whether Moran is injured or not? I haven't heard anything about an injury with him. The full-forwards are a relatively new set up with those players-what do you think about that Swinny? We've seen what Varley can do, but Freeman doesn't have a lot of experience, maybe he can strut his stuff in Sligo on Saturday though. Against Dublin he was Mayo's best player.

On a side note, is there a match before the Mayo one?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:14 pm

I am 100% confident that the name of the winners of this battle will end with an 'O' .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Mayo CSFC v Sligo: David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar Mitchels), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore); Tom Parsons (Charlestown), Ronan McGarrity (Ballina Stephenites); Andy Moran (Ballghaderreen), Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy), Trevor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib); Conor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Enda Varley (Garrymore).

This is the Mayo line-up-freshly announced! Dillon, Howley, Kilcoyne are injured. Noticeably, Aidan O'Shea is omitted. In all honesty, he hasn't been playing his best and O'Mahony has tried this tactic with Mortimer before when he wasn't playing well. It improves their motivation and I agree with O' Mahony on this one. Barry Moran also not included, probably injured again. He was really promising in 2007, but he got injured that year and has been dogged with injuries ever since. Should be a good match! I have a cousin on the Sligo team so it should be quite interesting indeed!

Best of luck to both teams, and Swinny do you know whether Moran is injured or not? I haven't heard anything about an injury with him. The full-forwards are a relatively new set up with those players-what do you think about that Swinny? We've seen what Varley can do, but Freeman doesn't have a lot of experience, maybe he can strut his stuff in Sligo on Saturday though. Against Dublin he was Mayo's best player.

That looks a very strong side essie only howley and moran missing...Think seamus oshea is very good player and if he steps up to the mark will be a big + for Mayo this year...If i was Omahony i would switch oshea with parsons...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 pm

mullins wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Mayo CSFC v Sligo: David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar Mitchels), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore); Tom Parsons (Charlestown), Ronan McGarrity (Ballina Stephenites); Andy Moran (Ballghaderreen), Seamus O’Shea (Breaffy), Trevor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib); Conor Mortimer (Shrule-Glencorrib), Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Enda Varley (Garrymore).

That looks a very strong side essie only howley and moran missing...Think seamus oshea is very good player and if he steps up to the mark will be a big + for Mayo this year...If i was Omahony i would switch oshea with parsons...

Well Dillon, one of, if not their best forward isn't there. Kilcoyne who started in the Quarter last year isn't on, and O'Shea hasn't been picked. It'd be interesting to see O'Shea in midfield-that's his natural position, and he has worked well with McGarrity in the past. I agree with you there Mullins!

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 pm

[quote] "It'd be interesting to see O'Shea in midfield-that's his natural position, and he has worked well with McGarrity in the past." [quote]

Did you see O shea recently, he cant run for his life far too lazy midfield him at your peril,

Overall both teams are good but realistically one would think that if Mayo are to push on this is mairly a dirty jump on the grand national race, one they should clear to meet Galway.
Mayo for me by 5-7 points
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo
Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
mullins wrote:

Well Dillon, one of, if not their best forward isn't there. Kilcoyne who started in the Quarter last year isn't on, and O'Shea hasn't been picked. It'd be interesting to see O'Shea in midfield-that's his natural position, and he has worked well with McGarrity in the past. I agree with you there Mullins!

At least o mahony hasn't retired them strong bench.. Sligo V Mayo Icon_smileGaa genious its is brother good player seamus...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:40 pm

[quote="GAAGenious"][quote] "It'd be interesting to see O'Shea in midfield-that's his natural position, and he has worked well with McGarrity in the past."

Did you see O shea recently, he cant run for his life far too lazy midfield him at your peril,

Overall both teams are good but realistically one would think that if Mayo are to push on this is mairly a dirty jump on the grand national race, one they should clear to meet Galway.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Aidan O'Shea, because his older brother Seamus who I am talking about has been one of Mayo's better players so far this year. Aidan has been dropped.

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 pm

[quote="EstherMayo1951"][quote="GAAGenious"]
"It'd be interesting to see O'Shea in midfield-that's his natural position, and he has worked well with McGarrity in the past."

Maybe you're getting mixed up with Aidan O'Shea, because his older brother Seamus who I am talking about has been one of Mayo's better players so far this year. Aidan has been dropped.

I am yeah sorry, Just seen O shea and Aidan came to mind sorry and your right ! Sligo V Mayo Icon_biggrin
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:03 pm

GAAGenious wrote:[Mayo for me by 5-7 points

Sligo are no mugs, Walshe has a level head on his shoulders and will call the right shots...
On their own patch, in front of a large home crowd of impassioned supporters, the 5-7 points have disappeared already..
Mayo will need 13 of that starting selection on top of their game to avoid a beating.

The Yeats countymen are well up for it at any rate...Nay, even bullish!!!!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:08 pm

[quote="Boxtyeater"]

Sligo are no mugs, Walshe has a level head on his shoulders and will call the right shots...
On their own patch, in front of a large home crowd of impassioned supporters, the 5-7 points have disappeared already..
Mayo will need 13 of that starting selection on top of their game to avoid a beating.quote]

Disagree I think Mayo will have a large crowed also but I dont think Sligo have it in them to do it against Mayo. O Mahony has them boys well drilled and coming off a league final loss will have them geared up to get a good positive result against sligo. hence 5-7 point win Sligo V Mayo Icon_smile
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 pm

[quote="GAAGenious"]
Boxtyeater wrote:

Mayo will need 13 of that starting selection on top of their game to avoid a beating.quote]

Disagree I think Mayo will have a large crowed also but I dont think Sligo have it in them to do it against Mayo. O Mahony has them boys well drilled and coming off a league final loss will have them geared up to get a good positive result against sligo. hence 5-7 point win Sligo V Mayo Icon_smile

Hear Hear!

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Mayo at a canter. I can't see Sligo repeat their league final form and Mayo will have too much at midfield and too much pace for them to cope with.

Mayo 2-10 Sligo 0-10
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:51 pm

mullins wrote:

Irony of ironies, I disagree with the jester from Dublin. I think its a fairly average looking Mayo once again. The backs are all lovely footballers but they lack the ability to defend. Any decent forward line would cut through them like a knife through butter. The first proper set of forwards they came up against last year, they went to pieces.

Also I fail to understand the midifeld hype. McGarritty, credit to him for over-coming his battle with cancer, but he's only a shadow of the footballer he was since his unfortunate illness and I've never known Parsons to deliver when Mayo needed him to. This Gilmartin lad, seems to be a hit Yeats-side, and if he's equal to his fan's confidence in him, he might make a name for hismelf Sunday.

Forwards are a good bunch of footballers. Both Ronaldson and O'Shea were heavily talked about by certain sections of the Mayo posting contigent on here in the League and all of sudden, they've been dropped to the bench. I presume Moran and Mortimer will drop back and we'll see two lads on the half-forward line and two inside.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Your not fooking worth it loyal Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:12 pm

mullins wrote:Your not fooking worth it loyal Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol

Strangely I beg to differ Mullins. Mayo are blown to the sky by pundits and supporters alike and believe the hype.
Sligo. while being modest enough in terms of success, are a well focussed group, in their own ground with great, great supporters and no shortage of quality forwards who are both fluent and fearless ( a quality Mayo lack)...
Mayo might well do it, but if they do, they'll know they've done it...
Mayo, for all their history blah,blah, lack the real fire and belief that Sligo and lesser counties have in abundance...

I might be wrong but the Black and Whites won't leave it in the dressing room, for sure.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 pm

David Kelly will be back in time for Sligo. He is, in my opinion, Sligo's best player. It's good news for Sligo, and hopefully the weather will be good tomorrow for it!

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
mullins wrote:Your not fooking worth it loyal Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol Sligo V Mayo Lol

Strangely I beg to differ Mullins. Mayo are blown to the sky by pundits and supporters alike and believe the hype.
Sligo. while being modest enough in terms of success, are a well focussed group, in their own ground with great, great supporters and no shortage of quality forwards who are both fluent and fearless ( a quality Mayo lack)...
Mayo might well do it, but if they do, they'll know they've done it...
Mayo, for all their history blah,blah, lack the real fire and belief that Sligo and lesser counties have in abundance...

I might be wrong but the Black and Whites won't leave it in the dressing room, for sure.....

Boxty i will stand over what i said Mayo will have to much for sligo..The Mayo panel looks very strong to me and should have a good year...As for supporters i think Dubs should know more than most they don't win you games...Well all will be revealed tomorrow Mayo+6
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Sligo coming off a good league campaign and playing at home. Mayo had another disastrous National final at HQ - and it has got to affect confidence. I expect Sligo to come charging out of the blocks and if they ping a few early scores Mayo heads could drop ... again.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:57 pm

mullins wrote:[Boxty i will stand over what i said Mayo will have to much for sligo..The Mayo panel looks very strong to me and should have a good year...As for supporters i think Dubs should know more than most they don't win you games...Well all will be revealed tomorrow Mayo+6

Not wishing to be contradictory here Mullins (BTW thanks for supporting RMD) but as the established weakest province in football in a generation, I don't think you're fully qualified to give such a self-opinionated view of this impending clash of main contenders as you have.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next