GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed.....

+2
bald eagle
Loyal2TheRoyal
6 posters

Go down

And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed..... Empty And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed.....

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon May 03, 2010 9:59 am

Galway 2-13
New York 0-12

A one man team still relying on Joyce turning back the years. Led 1-10 to to 0-12 with just minutes remaining but the biggest upset in GAA history still looked on the cards until a late rally saw them hit 1-3 and scrape through.

Good man Joe, I think you've a bit of work still to do. Ironic, the city that never sleeps came so close to putting Galway to sleep for another eight months. Surely if New York won, Galway were history as no place for the losers of this game in the qualifiers!
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed..... Empty Re: And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed.....

Post  bald eagle Mon May 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Read somewhere that New York had to fork out 40,000 euro towards Galways expenses for the trip, the NY board say it's money well spent but surely it would be better spent elsewhere!

For me, London should be playing New York in a preliminary match to qualify for the Connaught Championship however i do have major reservations in NY's participation in any championships after the Ulster Hurling Final debacle a few years ago!

Back on topic, this could have been very embarrasing for Galway but sides that travel to NY more often than not struggle (Derry in the UHC for one!!). It would have been more enbarrasing for the GAA as they would have had to get Galway into the qualifiers by "rule changing"!

I do agree with Loyal, Galway will not win this years All Ireland, i don't think they're good enough for even the Semi-finals.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed..... Empty Re: And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed.....

Post  GAA-Fan Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Don't really think Galway will get far this year but I would say it is hard to get hyped up for games against teams like NY and London, they're not seen to be as much as a threat. Question is, would your county go at it full pelt? Highly doubt it. Opposition should never be underestimated but Galway's team always had the better on NY and so does a good 20+ counties in Ireland.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 pm

The Galway team that were out yesterday had numerous first team players missing. I'm by no means saying Galway will win the Championship, but people are reading way too far into this. Yes, it was a match to forget for Galway, but Galway have 8 weeks to improve and move on from this and by Semi-final time, they'll have a full squad. Armstrong, a key player, was doing exams as well as others. People are writing Galway off over one match in early May-Galway aren't finished yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 pm

bald eagle wrote:Read somewhere that New York had to fork out 40,000 euro towards Galways expenses for the trip, the NY board say it's money well spent but surely it would be better spent elsewhere!

For me, London should be playing New York in a preliminary match to qualify for the Connaught Championship however i do have major reservations in NY's participation in any championships after the Ulster Hurling Final debacle a few years ago!

Back on topic, this could have been very embarrasing for Galway but sides that travel to NY more often than not struggle (Derry in the UHC for one!!). It would have been more enbarrasing for the GAA as they would have had to get Galway into the qualifiers by "rule changing"!

I do agree with Loyal, Galway will not win this years All Ireland, i don't think they're good enough for even the Semi-finals.

I said that last year about Meath after watching Dublin hit 127 wides against them and still win easily.

For once, I was wrong.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Swinford2009 Tue May 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Galway are going nowhere and I believe this match confirms that view.lucky to beat a New York team thta had 13 men for at least 20 minutes of the game. Galway are a team that should be beating New York in the region of 20 points, not a lucky 7.

I feel bad for New York because this could have beent he biggest shock in GAA history and from what I believe if Murtagh had not been sent off then they actually could have won the game. Fair play to New York for pushing a team as big as Galway. hopefully this will show the GAA that involving New York in the championship is not as big a waste of time as they think
Swinford2009
Swinford2009
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Mayo
Number of posts : 269

http://mikessportsfile.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

And the myth that Galway are somehow All-Ireland conteders is put to bed..... Empty Hold the phone there now !!!!

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Look it was the first championship game for galway, they had to travel to New York for the week end, They were missing key players over the field and they underperformed greatlty no doubt but to be writing a team off like galway so early could come back to haunt yee all. Look at Kerry last year was it not for a penelty save the all ireland champions would of been out in 3rd round qualifiers. Look at dublin over the last few years barely beating longfort 2 yeras ago yet they went on to and all ireland semi final against mayo and should of won it if they had any psychological will whatsoever. To write off a team like galway with a match against either Mayo or Sligo between them the 3 most fancied teams iin connaught to play against in 8 WEEKS TIME NO LESS !!! to look forward to and get ready for i think this galway team will show alot more character to come yet and a big scalp might lay behind them in the qualifiers if not Mayos in the connnaught semi final. Big Joe will have a trick up his sleeve no doubt...
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo
Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down