GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest!

+3
mugsys_barber
mullins
Jayo Cluxton
7 posters

Go down

Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Empty Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest!

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Given the large Ulster contingent on here and knowing how much y'all love your football, I'm surprised nobody picked up on this one. Anyways I likes to keep ye informed, so here, have a good read! Ah Dublin ... Ulster's finest! Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_cool

Minor footballers crowned Ulster league champs

DUBLIN 2-14 TYRONE 0-8

Dublin captured the Ulster MFL title when a strong first half performance saw off Tyrone in the final at Breffni Park on Tuesday evening.
Two goals inside a minute by Fearghal Duffy early in the first half did the damage as the Dubs led 2-9 to 0-7 after playing against the wind in the opening half.
Duffy used his pace to carry him past the Tyrone defence in the ninth and again in the tenth minute and finished well on both occasions as the Dubs opened up a 2-3 to 0-1 lead.
Harry Dawson also brought his shooting boots and he finished the night with five points, including one free.
Centre-back Michael Gibbs caused problems for Tyrone with his forward forays which reaped two impressive points.
Tyrone put Dublin under considerable pressure on the restart but a succession of wides did not aid their cause.
They were awarded a penalty in the second minute of the second half but goalkeeper Colin Murphy parried the spot kick of Conan Gruggan and then reacted well to bat away the ball as Gruggan raced to the rebound.
The Dubs survived the early onslaught and playing on the counter-attack it was not long before they were again exercising the umpires as the game petered out before the finish.
Dublin face Kildare in the Leinster MFC quarter-final on May 22 in Newbridge in a repeat of their first round encounter which the Lilywhites won by four points.

SCORERS - Dublin: F Duffy 2-1, H Dawson 0-5 (0-1f), A Caffrey 0-3 (0-1f), M Gibbs 0-2, J Russell OCarroll, A Fallon, D Mylod (0-1f) 0-1 each. Tyrone: C Gruggan 0-3 (0-1f), J McCullagh 0-2, D Donnelly, C McCullagh, R ONeill 0-1 each.
DUBLIN - C Murphy; M Durkan, D Shatwell, J Small; P Maguire, M Gibbs, S Fitzsimons; P OCurry, JJ Martin; J Russell OCarroll, F Duffy, A Fallon; A Caffrey, H Dawson, D McCabe. Subs: D Mylod for Russell OCarroll (41), N McGovern for Small (48), N OFlynn for Fallon (52), G Heavey for Maguire (57), K Doyle for Dawson (59).
TYRONE - M McReynolds; S McGarrity, C Clarke, HP McGeary; N Studden, M Donaghy, C ONeill; C Gruggan, D Donnelly; M Carberry, D McCurry, C McCullagh; K Morgan, J McCullagh, R ONeill. Subs: E Deeney for McGeary (24), E McGahan for Donaghy (29), A McNulty for Donnelly (ht), S Tierney for Carberry (41), R Loughran for C ONeill (48).
REF - J Galligan (Cavan).
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Empty Re: Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest!

Post  mullins Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 pm

Great result where will it end Dublin football is going UP UP And Away...No its a bird NO its a plane -NO its the Dubs on the way to domination Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_cheers Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_cheers Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_cheers Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_cheers
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:42 pm

A good result for Dublin alright Jayo but i wouldn't be reading too much into it as I seem to recall Meath and Tyrone drawing in the Ulster minor league final in 2008 and when they met each other in the ALL Ire semi final in 2008 Tyrone won quite easily.

I spoke with two of the lads that were playing for Tyrone last night earlier in the evening and they said that at least 5 players that they felt should be on the starting 15 played no part in the game at all but it is worrying that Tyrone didn't score for most of the second half all the same.

The old cupboard could be bare come the end of 2010 again Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_pale.

It is hard to get re-adjusted to being on the losing side again to Dublin in such quick succession though......
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:47 pm

I know Mugsy but how do ya think we feel?? We are told Leinster is brutal so we send the minors up to Ulster and they walk rings around them. Its gonna be hard to keep these lads challenged. We might do Munster next season - gotta keep them motivated... Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_biggrin
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I know Mugsy but how do ya think we feel?? We are told Leinster is brutal so we send the minors up to Ulster and they walk rings around them. Its gonna be hard to keep these lads challenged. We might do Munster next season - gotta keep them motivated... Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_biggrin

Jayo how about sending the seniors up next. Handy Ulster title awaits.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Supposed to be a good Dublin minor team. As usual Ulster is welcoming to all our brethren.
I notice there are none of the quips that appear when discussing Galway playing hurling in Leinster?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 pm

RMDrive wrote:Supposed to be a good Dublin minor team. As usual Ulster is welcoming to all our brethren.
I notice there are none of the quips that appear when discussing Galway playing hurling in Leinster?

Kildare beat us in the first round of Leinster - we then hammered Louth last Saturday and now have a game against ....... Kildare!!!

RMD - Not sure why we are there at all tbh! Anyone shed any light?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Supposed to be a good Dublin minor team. As usual Ulster is welcoming to all our brethren.

Kildare beat us in the first round of Leinster - we then hammered Louth last Saturday and now have a game against ....... Kildare!!!

RMD - Not sure why we are there at all tbh! Anyone shed any light?

Not sure either JC. Heard it was because the Leinster league isn't well organised but I'm not 100% sure.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Its time to send the Dub seniors to play in Ulster championship. Of course they would be like Italy in the six nations for the first 10 years or so but through time the competition would help them.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Can we expect to see ten Dubs swarming around a man as he lands on the ground having caught clean possession?

By the way Mugsy, this old "it is only the league" catches up with you after a while.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 pm

samin10 wrote:Its time to send the Dub seniors to play in Ulster championship. Of course they would be like Italy in the six nations for the first 10 years or so but through time the competition would help them.

Just like the Six Counties for the first eighty years of the GAA Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Jayo - Have Dublin minors been beaten already in the Leinster minor championship by Kildare?? I heard that today by a guy who was at the game the other night. Does a backdoor system exist at minor level in the Leinster championship?
Can you confirm this or was yer man talkin balls?
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Jayo - Have Dublin minors been beaten already in the Leinster minor championship by Kildare?? I heard that today by a guy who was at the game the other night. Does a backdoor system exist at minor level in the Leinster championship?
Can you confirm this or was yer man talkin balls?

See my post above at 3.25pm mugsy
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Awe right Jayo, My friend was spot on with the information- I also heard that yis were to play Kilkenny but they declined the offer.

A back door would have been useful in Ulster minor football last year as there wasn't much to choose between ourselves and eventual winners Armagh. But I'll not begrudge them their minor title - They deserve one every century Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_lol
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

The Leinster Minor Championship is hard to fathom.

Twelve teams play six games. Six winners advance to the quarter finals, the six losers play a kind of round robin type thing until two teams are left and also advance to the quarter finals leaving eight teams at this stage of the competition, then four, then two and then one.

Dublin beat Louth and were due to play Kilkenny but they withdrew so Dublin automatically into the draw for the quarter finals. Longford or Carlow will join them.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
samin10 wrote:Its time to send the Dub seniors to play in Ulster championship. Of course they would be like Italy in the six nations for the first 10 years or so but through time the competition would help them.

Just like the Six Counties for the first eighty years of the GAA Dublin Minors - Ulster's Finest! Icon_lol

The six counties were competitive in the ulster championship during the first 80 years of the GAA. (wouldnt bother me if they were not, wasnt around for them years) Maybe Patrique would have something to say

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:so Dublin automatically into the draw for the quarter finals. Longford or Carlow will join them.

I'm pretty certain that the draw is pe-ordained cos I am 100% sure Dublin knew that if they won out they would play Kildare again. Incidentally Val Andrews is in charge of them.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 03, 2010 10:49 pm

samin10 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

The six counties were competitive in the ulster championship during the first 80 years of the GAA. (wouldnt bother me if they were not, wasnt around for them years) Maybe Patrique would have something to say

Before the "division in 1920/21, Armagh won I think 2 Ulsters, and Antrim won a 7 in a row and lost in the all Ireland finals in 1911 and 12. In 1912 I think they had the biggest win by anyone against Kerry in Finals or semis until Meath beat it in 2001.

After the division Antrim won two Ulster in 1946 and 51, and Armagh made the all Ireland final in 1953. that was it.

In 1956 Tyrone made the breakthrough by winning an Ulster, immediately followed by Derry and then Down.

The rest is modern history, mostly at the expense of the Dubs.

The Dubs dominated the first 60 years, until they got their own team.

It was downhill after that alas.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down