GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubs go defensive

+8
Thomas Clarke
joan_balantine
mugsys_barber
mullins
GAA-Fan
bocerty
Armaghgeddon
Jayo Cluxton
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Dubs go defensive - Page 4 Empty Re: Dubs go defensive

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Gilroy is shrewd enough. Last year we played the same type of style as under Pillar and got stuffed - again -

Or this?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:While you can't knock 4 wins out of 4 so far this League season, there is no doubt that Dublin are playing a far more defensive game this year. The tactic seems to be to have as many men behind the ball whenever possible. I just wonder if the fans wil embrace this new style? I suppose if it brings long awaited success they will!

Or this one Jayo? First post on this thread.

I can't see how that can be construed as advocating this style TC?? Dubs go defensive - Page 4 Icon_scratch Indeed the very first sentence - the first clause - clearly denotes reticence.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Come off it Jayo, If Dublin had won convincingly yesterday you would have been shouting the praises of the new system from every rooftop in Glasnevin!
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Gilroy is shrewd enough. Last year we played the same type of style as under Pillar and got stuffed - again - (just thought I'd mention that cos I haven't read a post reminding me of it in about two hours now). I think he is trying out some new ideas but I hope we don't revert to an overly defensive system. Pat Spillane would go mad.

Jesus TC - talk about spin! This is that full post - again clearly against the new system!!! You are tripping yourself up.

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 pm

mossbags wrote:Come off it Jayo, If Dublin had won convincingly yesterday you would have been shouting the praises of the new system from every rooftop in Glasnevin!

Not at all Moss. I like to be entertained - and Dublin teams usually do that. I would dearly love an All Ireland win and I would prefer it was won playing football. And before anyone says it I accept that 83 and 95 were not classic displays. I don't buy into the fact that you need 8 or 10 defenders to win games. As I said earlier if your opposition pulls an extra man back that should give your team an extra forward.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Gilroy is shrewd enough. Last year we played the same type of style as under Pillar and got stuffed - again - (just thought I'd mention that cos I haven't read a post reminding me of it in about two hours now). I think he is trying out some new ideas but I hope we don't revert to an overly defensive system. Pat Spillane would go mad.

Jesus TC - talk about spin! This is that full post - again clearly against the new system!!! You are tripping yourself up.

Come on now Jayo, you praise Gilroy for being shrewd, for changing the system, and you hope that it isn't overly defensive. Doesn't exactly sound like a man vehemently against the change in tactics, particulary when the thread was started by you cheering on the 4 out of 4 as a result of the new style, and anticipating the Dub fans loving it if it continues to bring victories in the summer.

Not a big deal though - fair enough, you dont like the sweeper anymore Dubs go defensive - Page 4 Icon_wink
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:06 pm

You're an awful man TC. I likes me football swashbuckling and entertaining - with style and panache. Even me soccer - which is why I hated the Charlton years - despite the 'success'.

Having gone 15 years without Sam I would accept it any way it came. I do not like the way GAA has developed in recent years and would love to see a team like Galway (98 & 01) winning the title - it would be good for the game. I also liked the Tyrone 09 style and most of the Kerry wins but not in recent years.

I cannot see why the sweeper system should work. Somebody should try to buck the trend - you'd never know what it might bring. If the opposition pull a man back I'd stick my spare man in at FF. Two FFs would give the other manager something to think about!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I cannot see why the sweeper system should work. Somebody should try to buck the trend - you'd never know what it might bring. If the opposition pull a man back I'd stick my spare man in at FF. Two FFs would give the other manager something to think about!!

Jayo i like your thinking and have often thought exactly what you have just said - i often wondered why no one tried that perhaps it required a bit of risk taking which managers seem reluctant to do.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 am

It was always a big ask would Dublin fans accept the blanket defence and Jc said that from the start...The Answer the Dubs are giving is No...There is rumours coming from the camp that the players don't want to play the system and there not happy doing it and thats why certain senior players have being put to the bench....

It was only after 50 mins on sunday when the players ditched the system that we clawed our way back into the game......
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4