GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darragh O'Sé retires

+15
ardsanspeir
patrique
3inarow08
scoopmine
Real Kerry Fan
mullins
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
clash-of-da-ash
mossbags
KerryKatriona
redhandman
bocerty
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Darragh O'Sé retires Empty Darragh O'Sé retires

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Well the great man has finally hung up his boots. 9 Munster titles, 6 All Irelands, 3 All Stars and 3 National Leagues and the most championship appearances ever for Kerry. A legend no doubt and good luck to him in his retirement.

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Darragh O'Sé retires Empty Re: Darragh O'Sé retires

Post  bald eagle Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Aye,9 Munster titles, 6 All Irelands, 3 All Stars and 3 National Leagues and the most championship appearances ever for Kerryman, but what did he ever do in Gaelic Football?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Well the great man has finally hung up his boots. 9 Munster titles, 6 All Irelands, 3 All Stars and 3 National Leagues and the most championship appearances ever for Kerry. A legend no doubt and good luck to him in his retirement.

had he been from Antrim he no doubt would have been remembered as a legend of the game - sadly coming from the footballing nowhere of Kerry he'll probably be forgotten about by the end of the month
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

thats the keeper TW tie kennelly dara all quit. where will these guys be repalced from . thats the spine of a team.

does this mean that star will move to the middle now?

some footballer in his day
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 pm

The best midfielder of modern times no doubt. A lesson for all in how to play the game in a sporting manner. He will be sadly missed but great players are like buses in Kerry, there will be another along in a few minutes.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm

The top midfielder of his era. Marshalled Kerry to victory again and again down the years. Always good for vital scores. Never pulled a dirty stroke in his life Darragh O'Sé retires Icon_twisted
Enjoy the pipe n' slippers Dara
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:32 pm

One of the best midfielders of the last 30 years.

Kerry have players retiring and leaving left right and centre, haven't won a league game yet. End of an era, they could go like Dublin or even Cavan.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:The best midfielder of modern times no doubt. A lesson for all in how to play the game in a sporting manner. He will be sadly missed but great players are like buses in Kerry, there will be another along in a few minutes.

well Quirke does play football like a bus come to think of it - a double decker one at that

O' Se will be a big loss more so than the likes of Gooch would be i think. Dara had a great habit of taking games by the scruff of the neck when it needed it and dragged Kerry almost single-handedly over the finishing line.

Sadly the Red Hand County will forever be the monkey on his back - though you cant have it all i suppose
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Great player.

Boc - doubt he will lose any sleep over Tyrone. 6 All Irelands is a fantastic achivement.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Fair play to Dara O'Sé, a long career, plenty of great days, an odd moderate one but very, very few poor ones.
Could give and take the bit of hardship now and again and was always seen by his colleagues as their spiritual leader.
Joins the pantheon of "great midfielders" from Kerry, up there with Paddy Kennedy, O'Connell and Jacko.

I suppose he'll make a necklace outa' the lock of Celtic crosses for the Missus....Well done Dara if you're reading this.. Darragh O'Sé retires Icon_wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Best of luck dara- Great player and much respected by Dublin Fans..One less Kerryman for us to deal with in the future..Thank God Darragh O'Sé retires Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 pm

bocerty wrote:
KerryKatriona wrote:The best midfielder of modern times no doubt. A lesson for all in how to play the game in a sporting manner. He will be sadly missed but great players are like buses in Kerry, there will be another along in a few minutes.

well Quirke does play football like a bus come to think of it - a double decker one at that

O' Se will be a big loss more so than the likes of Gooch would be i think. Dara had a great habit of taking games by the scruff of the neck when it needed it and dragged Kerry almost single-handedly over the finishing line.

Sadly the Red Hand County will forever be the monkey on his back - though you cant have it all i suppose

Tyrones claim to fame...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Just back from my travels more to follow but Darragh we will never forget you. You will live wth the greatest in the Kingdom and beyond. Thanks Darragh. Darragh O'Sé retires Icon_biggrin
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm

He wasnt a half bad lad could play abitta ball!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Great player.

Boc - doubt he will lose any sleep over Tyrone. 6 All Irelands is a fantastic achivement.

not too sure about that one GF while it wont cause him too many sleepless nights i would hazard a guess he would still have liked to have put one over them in a big championship game.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

bocerty wrote:

not too sure about that one GF while it wont cause him too many sleepless nights i would hazard a guess he would still have liked to have put one over them in a big championship game.

If that's the only regret he has then he'll sleep easy. More of a concern is the fact that he never won a POTY like his brothers, Donaghy and Galvin in this decade. But a Hal of Fame award awaits him so that's some comfort.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:35 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
bocerty wrote:

If that's the only regret he has then he'll sleep easy. More of a concern is the fact that he never won a POTY like his brothers, Donaghy and Galvin in this decade. But a Hal of Fame award awaits him so that's some comfort.

Triona i didnt mean that to sound like i was bragging - just saying that knowing the competitive streak O'Se had he would liked to have give Tyrone a beating in a big game for his own satisfaction.

Are we likely to see him with the bainisteoir bib on in the future?????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 am

bocerty wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Triona i didnt mean that to sound like i was bragging - just saying that knowing the competitive streak O'Se had he would liked to have give Tyrone a beating in a big game for his own satisfaction.

Are we likely to see him with the bainisteoir bib on in the future?????

I know you didn't mean it that way, and I didn't mean to sound like I was throwing a retort either even though I quoted your post. It was just my tuppence worth on the whole thing after just finding out about all this.

I don't think he'll go into management myself. I think Tomas is more cut out for it.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Darragh. You were just a great.Thanks for the great days. Happy retirement you deserve it.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:Darragh. You were just a great.Thanks for the great days. Happy retirement you deserve it.

Their must be another 4/5 that could go with him Darragh O'Sé retires Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 pm

he had a great career and its great for him to end on a high by winning the AI he has no regrets left he achieved all that could be achieved in intercounty football

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 am

bocerty wrote:

I suspect he may have wanted to do the same to Leitrim.

They alas couldn't seem to get past mayo either so he never got the chance.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 am

Even this year he was the only player to outfield that idiot Antrim had playing for them, McKeever.

And mention of Quirke, Boc, I often wondered given that in the 2005 final Kerry insisted in playing a long high ball to a one man full forward line, why that man was not Quirke instead of Gooch.

In the league that year he did some terrible damage to teams.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm

patrique wrote:Even this year he was the only player to outfield that idiot Antrim had playing for them, McKeever.

And mention of Quirke, Boc, I often wondered given that in the 2005 final Kerry insisted in playing a long high ball to a one man full forward line, why that man was not Quirke instead of Gooch.

In the league that year he did some terrible damage to teams.

problem was P they couldnt get the ball in so wouldnt have mattered how many Quirkes were standing on the age of the square.

Interesting to note McKeever is an idiot and Quirke a superstar Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 pm

I wouldn't say Quirke was a superstar, but in 2005 Kerry kicked at least 368 high balls into the goal area where Gooch was playing oon his own as they had withdrawn the other two. Quirke was on the bench and seemed to me to be an option.

Now in the first ten minutes when they played the ball in low, well Gooch did enough to win footballer of the year.

McKeever is great at catching the ball, but no idea when he returns to earth. The mark might suit him, and he is very young.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next