GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoking at a GAA match

+5
Jayo Cluxton
JimWexford
bocerty
KerryKatriona
bald eagle
9 posters

Go down

Smoking at a GAA match Empty Smoking at a GAA match

Post  Guest Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:48 am

Every single time I go to a match, a cloud of grey, carbon monoxide, thousands of chemicals-filled smoke, comes puffing over my head and right down into my lungs. I do not smoke, nor do I want to inhale this horrible, inexcusable, revolting and dangerous smoke. It is illegal to smoke in a GAA ground, yet some people believe they are above the rules and selfishly do it anyway.

I go to alot of GAA matches(and I'm extremely disheartened that I can't make today's match). I love the atmosphere, most of the people and obviously the game itself. However, one thing that always gets to me is a good few people are always smoking. I have never touched a cigarette in my life, because I value my health. Yet these people are selfishly passing on second-hand smoke to other nearby people. Something needs to be done, and the rules and regulations need to be inforced more rigorously.

I was at the Mayo match last week, and this imbecile in front of me was smoking away-in front of his children may I add-and all the smoke was blowing back into my face. This is always the case at nearly every match I go to. Even in Croke Park there was a lad in front of me puffing away. What is it with these people? Regardless of the fact that they're slowly killing themselves, they are breaking the rules and damaging other people's health.

It's scandalous.

Back to top Go down

Smoking at a GAA match Empty Re: Smoking at a GAA match

Post  bald eagle Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:12 pm

As a non smoker i agree wholeheartedly with all that you say and until the GAA start ejecting offenders (like they do in Australia at any sports event there) the problem will continue. We have the problem that Stewards are still volunteers and they are the ones whole will have to enforce the rules fully, are they prepared for the mouthfuls of bile they will get when they eventually do try and eject someone for continued smoking at a GAA ground? I don't think so, and neither would i for something i'm not getting paid for!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

The only ones I see smoking at Kerry matches are our players.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm

is it actually illegal to smoke at at a game - i thought if you were on the terrace you could smoke away
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

It's illegal to smoke at all GAA venues except in desiganted areas, was brought in a few years ago.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 pm

bald eagle wrote:It's illegal to smoke at all GAA venues except in desiganted areas, was brought in a few years ago.

Sorry BE, Boc is correct, smoking is only not allowed in the stands or seated areas, you can smoke to best of my knowledge in the Terrace.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 pm

I can just picture a steward on the Hill tapping a bloke on the shoulder and asking him to put his cigarette out ............
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 am

Well I smoked on the pitch during the presentation after last year's final. Really enjoyed it.No smoking in the stands I agree with though.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

I hate the smell of smoke Mad especially when it is blowing in your face
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi Orlaith.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  up.the.oak.trees Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Hi Orlaith.
Hello loyal, I dont really see much of you now on HS haha! How did you know it was me? elephant
up.the.oak.trees
up.the.oak.trees
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Doire
Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Smoking at games is really annoying. The ban isn't enforced at all. I've had the wanes at games and had to move cause some fecker was sending a constant stream of smoke in our direction.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Not sure about other the other 3 provences but all Ulster grounds are supposed to be smoke free

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:44 pm

I'd be very aware of my smoke blowing in others faces ....... I hate when you go out the back of the stand in Croker - in full open air - and this 'smoking steward' comes out to remonstrate with you ....... while the young guy is selling the bottles of Bud strapped to his back!!

RKF - surprised at you smoking on the hallowed turf!!! Haven't done that meself...... since 1995 anyway! Smoking at a GAA match Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm

There is an easy solution to stop kids having smoke blown in their faces. Leave them at home. Football matches are no places for young children and they just take up space that means other fans can't get tickets. I don't mind them being there for the league and early championship games when the GAA need the numbers but they should not be given tickets for the final when adults want them.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down