GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling

+5
bald eagle
clash-of-da-ash
JimWexford
GAA-Fan
North Side Gael
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling Empty "weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling

Post  North Side Gael Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:06 am

Heres just a thought, why do the hurling counties of connaught lietrim sligo etc not come togther with the likes of fermanagh monaghan etc to have a pre season tournament free admission to matches etc to try and promote the game a bit?

The games would stead them well throughout the year also, they could also allow for the likes of any weaker hurling colleges such as st marys belfast to enter also and give themselves games against hurlers from antrim mayo down and the like.

WHat does people think?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

"weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling Empty Re: "weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:39 am

Do they do a railway cup style tournament in hurling?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

"weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling Empty Re: "weaker" hurling counties pre season hurling

Post  JimWexford Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:06 am

GAA-Fan wrote:Do they do a railway cup style tournament in hurling?
ERRRRR ya a certain Cristy Ring had only got 18 medals, the next closest to him are the Delaney family from Laois (4 brothers) who have 17 between them
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

JimWexford wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:Do they do a railway cup style tournament in hurling?
ERRRRR ya a certain Cristy Ring had only got 18 medals, the next closest to him are the Delaney family from Laois (4 brothers) who have 17 between them

Jim, I dont follow hurling at all.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 pm

A rest of Connacht and a rest of Ulster team should be allowed play in the Liam McCarthy, having said that I remember a rest of Connacht(senior) team getting beat by 20 points by the Galway minors. Something however needs to be done to make hurling more competitive and the GAA don't seem to be doing enough.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:12 am

Totally agree clash, the idea of rest of teams really would work i think, however they need to assemble these teams early in the year and treat them like a proper intercounty hurling team.

Im sure some of the galway minor teams would have beaten a few intercounty senior teams pretty well!! lol

A rest of ulster team and probably a rest of leinster team along with rest of connaught would be a good addition to the liam mc carthy. The new groups stages of four groups of four with these teams included with the current 13 this year would make a good group which would capture the imagination of the general public and kids from them counties.

Sell the rights to something like that and you will do well plus you will attract more sponsorship because the game will appeal to all 32 counties!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Lads, the GAA won't do anything to make Hurling more competitive as long as the men at the top county teams are in the top bracket, the simple thing is the don't care about the other competitions outside the McCarthy Cup.

When Nicky Brennan was given the big job i thought he would be the man more than anyone that would want to make Hurling a 32 countysport but to be honest he done nothing in my opinion for the good of Hurling. The treatment of Westmeath and the other Leinster counties that wanted to compete in their own Championship cemented that for me!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 pm

bald eagle wrote:
When Nicky Brennan was given the big job i thought he would be the man more than anyone that would want to make Hurling a 32 countysport but to be honest he done nothing in my opinion for the good of Hurling. The treatment of Westmeath and the other Leinster counties that wanted to compete in their own Championship cemented that for me!

Totally agreed. You had a hurling man at the helm and things did not improve one iota. Says a lot.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Hurling is only really a Munster sport apart from Kilkenny. I can never really see the Northern and Connaught Gaels, nor most of Leinster taking it serious enough for it to be a 32 county game. Shame really.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:09 pm

There are some very good hurlers playing with so called "weaker" counties such as Keith Higgins for Mayo and james Young a few years ago for Laois.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:Hurling is only really a Munster sport apart from Kilkenny. I can never really see the Northern and Connaught Gaels, nor most of Leinster taking it serious enough for it to be a 32 county game. Shame really.

you are ........... stick to the internet dating you seem to have as much success there oh wait any chance of letting Gloria post instead of you for a while
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 pm

JimWexford wrote:
KerryKatriona wrote:Hurling is only really a Munster sport apart from Kilkenny. I can never really see the Northern and Connaught Gaels, nor most of Leinster taking it serious enough for it to be a 32 county game. Shame really.

you are ........... stick to the internet dating you seem to have as much success there oh wait any chance of letting Gloria post instead of you for a while

I am not talking to that b*tch.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 pm

The weaker counties had an excellent week end. St Gall's from Belfast, Co Antrim part of it, reached the all Ireland Intermediate hurling final by beating a Galway side, and Naomh Colum Cille from Tyrone reached the junior final, beating the Connacht champions.

You can now get Portumna at 7/1 against Dunloy.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 pm

patrique wrote:The weaker counties had an excellent week end. St Gall's from Belfast, Co Antrim part of it, reached the all Ireland Intermediate hurling final by beating a Galway side, and Naomh Colum Cille from Tyrone reached the junior final, beating the Connacht champions.

You can now get Portumna at 7/1 against Dunloy.

Dunloy don't have much of a chance against Portumna I'm afraid, sure Portumna beat Galway last week.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 am

Point one Nicky Brennan failed hurling in the majority of Ireland as president of our association, he down graded the CRC and NRC two cups which Sean Kelly had initally made a early success out of.

Point two, Patrique dont scud Dunloy i genuinely believe they have a chance but antrim people should shut ther mouths and let the hurling do the talking from here on in as st galls yesterday.

Point three i believe we are what most "big" hurling counties would call and "intermediate" county not a "weaker"" county
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

North Side Gael wrote:Point one Nicky Brennan failed hurling in the majority of Ireland as president of our association, he down graded the CRC and NRC two cups which Sean Kelly had initally made a early success out of.

Point two, Patrique dont scud Dunloy i genuinely believe they have a chance but antrim people should shut ther mouths and let the hurling do the talking from here on in as st galls yesterday.

Point three i believe we are what most "big" hurling counties would call and "intermediate" county not a "weaker"" county

It's actually "so called weaker" NSG. Whenever the pundits are talking they always use that expression. It's "so called" cause thats what you call them you shower of eejits!!

Shame to see the SR and NR being left by the way-side and a real black mark on the report card of successive presidents.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Portumna beat Galway. Wow.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

The idea of regionalised teams for 'counties of lesser status' could be good for development I reckon.

But what would these teams be called?

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Sebastian wrote:The idea of regionalised teams for 'counties of lesser status' could be good for development I reckon.

But what would these teams be called?

Maybe something like Rest of Connacht, Leinster and Ulster.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

One thing we need to be sure of though is that kerry too are included and that they must be taken into the name, they would be better combining with connaught i wreckon, just so they are regionalised, the team could be best of the west!!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 am

NSG don't know if that was tongue in cheek "the best of the west".
All that needs to be done now is forget about N.Brennan and those 3 disastrous years he was there and possibly S.Kelly as well (never saw a man who wanted his name in lights as much as this man).
Leave the hurling championship alone for the next few years andnot change it every 2 months.
Treat all levels of it with equal importance and possibly rotate the CRC,NRC and the LMC so that every 3 years one is played on the first Sunday of September the other possibly with the U21 AI giving all a boost.
combinations are not worth a fook because there is no identity and to me no one really wins except the players very hard for supporters to rally behind.
Give these "lesser lights" a day out in there own right with the crowd, think of it every 3 years min one of them will play in front of 80k plus.
Before anyone gives out AI hurling finals for the last 5-10 years have/are piss easy to get tickets for
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Pat Spillane said in the paper yesterday of maybe allowing each of the weaker counties to include 5 players max from the stronger counties provided they aren't called up, so you could have 2 galway,2 kilkenny and a tipp player playing with say Carlow.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Pat Spillane said in the paper yesterday of maybe allowing each of the weaker counties to include 5 players max from the stronger counties provided they aren't called up, so you could have 2 galway,2 kilkenny and a tipp player playing with say Carlow.
Clash this is already allowed, Carlow may not be allowed to to this are they are in the Liam Mac championship. But all for all other counties players can "declare" for them, all you have to do is look a the amount of Galway club hurlers plying there trade at inter-county level
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

JimWexford wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Pat Spillane said in the paper yesterday of maybe allowing each of the weaker counties to include 5 players max from the stronger counties provided they aren't called up, so you could have 2 galway,2 kilkenny and a tipp player playing with say Carlow.
Clash this is already allowed, Carlow may not be allowed to to this are they are in the Liam Mac championship. But all for all other counties players can "declare" for them, all you have to do is look a the amount of Galway club hurlers plying there trade at inter-county level

I know of some hurlers playing club hurling in Galway and playing with another county in Connacht. Do they have to be living or working in that county or whats the rule?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:
JimWexford wrote:

I know of some hurlers playing club hurling in Galway and playing with another county in Connacht. Do they have to be living or working in that county or whats the rule?
Not to sure on the rule but i think it's like the old resident rule if you spent 4 weekends in a row in a parish you were deemed a resident.
To the best of my knowledge you can get a special transfer from croke park to play for a weaker county and you need not have any ties or even live there.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next