GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Typical IC training session

2 posters

Go down

Typical IC training session Empty Typical IC training session

Post  RMDrive Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

So it's been a while since I had my last training session with the Donegal senior panel so perhaps someone could remind me of what exactly a training session would consist of for them. I know it will vary over the year so perhaps people could indicate how they reckon the focus changes.
How much running? How much ball work? How much time watching tape? How much one on one work? How much time spilt into defenders/attackers/MF's? How must tactics and strategy? How much time learning how to win frees?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Typical IC training session Empty Re: Typical IC training session

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Depending on the cold I usually warm up with a few old reliables. Hat, gloves and scarf - insignia on same depends on who is winning at that time (Dubs, Leeds, Bohs, Ireland, Leinster, Old Alexandria or Hills Cricket Club). After some breathing exercises - few puffs of cheeks before I go outside and a quick chinwag with the manager as to how long the session should last, its off out the door with me.

As a tall individual (and if it is late) I will stretch the legs out in a lengthy stride and the sweat will now began to roll in bead form on my brow. I will do this for around 8-10 minutes (less if I get a lift) until I actually arrive at the pub door.

Serious business about to begin. I may have a smoke outside in preparation. Once in the real session starts. If its mid season a Heino and a Paddy will be the starter. (I may have the Paddy hot if it is minus on the ould temperature). I will proceed to have about 7 more Heinos - not stopping for a break at all. This is serious stuff now. I may finish the session with a warm down of a couple of vodka and Red Bulls. During the session if I feel like changing the discipline I will nip out for a smoke. I will never eat when training - never! No crisps, no peanuts, no hot nuts. If you are in the middle of a session you have to be in a serious mindset - there is no room for food.

I am usually too shattered for the walk home after this and will often get a lift or a taxi - knowing that I have it all ahead of me again the next night. A lot of people just don't understand the training that inter county supporters put into following their team. I am trying to establish an inter county group in order to approach the GAA with a view to seeking funding for our training as it is not cheap. Ideally a trip abroad at the end of the season where the drink is cheaper would also be welcome.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down